LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 301 users in the forums

49ers showing loyalty to players???

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is it just me or is it that they are trying to exercise more loyalty to players did they have in the past?

Take arik Armstead for instance it's taken him years to come along and play at the level he is now and it looks like the patience has paid off

Same thing with Jimmie Ward

I imagine him doing the same with Solomon Thomas in which players will reward the team with harder play and more discipline in the off-season

Just my take I could be wrong

Discuss...
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Is it just me or is it that they are trying to exercise more loyalty to players did they have in the past?

Take arik Armstead for instance it's taken him years to come along and play at the level he is now and it looks like the patience has paid off

I imagine him doing the same with Solomon Thomas in which players will reward the team with harder play and more discipline in the off-season

Discuss...

It's somewhat the "old school" approach. Draft talented guys, coach them up, allow them to play and develop, and see what happens in 4-5 years down the road.

I think the Crux of this comes down to the coaching staffs ability to see and recognize the talent and the ability even when it isn't on the stat sheet at a certain point in time.

Discuss...

Good post!

It's a fine line - if a guy is a bust or not.

In our case, my opinion is that good coaching and scheme have produced good results.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

Discuss...

Good post!

It's a fine line - if a guy is a bust or not.

In our case, my opinion is that good coaching and scheme have produced good results.

Thank you sir!

Part of the reason why I thought of this post is because I was thinking about Solomon Thomas and the game he had against the Rams versus the game he had against Washington

He had a great game against the Rams as we already know but the Washington game he was penalized for offsides in for a late quarterback hit

It appeared as so he was really trying to get to the quarterback and was overcompensating but the weather negated his efforts

Not to mention Washington was taking more of a power run approach so they replaced him with Taylor

This upcoming week I think we will see him do a bit better.

I'm pulling for the guy just like I I am with Armstead
  • thl408

Discuss...
In the case of Armstead and Ward there was no reason to be loyal to them. They weren't drafted by Kyle. I don't think it's a loyalty thing, it's a 'see the potential' thing. I see Kyle more as of a hardass type than a loyal-to-a-fault type. They cut most of Baalke's roster but decided to hang on to AA/Ward because Kyle felt they were good players, not because Kyle was loyal imo.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
In the case of Armstead and Ward there was no reason to be loyal to them. They weren't drafted by Kyle. I don't think it's a loyalty thing, it's a 'see the potential' thing. I see Kyle more as of a hardass type than a loyal-to-a-fault type. They cut most of Baalke's roster but decided to hang on to AA/Ward because Kyle felt they were good players, not because Kyle was loyal imo.

Kyle runs a meritocracy. It's only "loyalty" to the extent they are high potential players, as you said.

Kyle wasn't "loyal" to a ton of the people he brought in. Loyalty doesn't exist in the NFL. Only merit matters.
I don't think it's loyalty.....

I think it's maturity of management and ownership. Shanny2.0 has been around football his entire life and likely has elite minds to bounce ideas off of. Lynch being a player before front office executive can likely see both sides of the coin.

Most importantly we are probably past 2 year mandates for success from ownership. We know what musical chairs looks like, so it's likely ownership has backed the hell off and let's football people do football things.
  • titan
  • Veteran
I don't think it's necessarily loyalty. IMHO I feel that they are getting players that they are compatible with and with the draft the coaches get to see them grow and mature, so they get a chance to get to know them more as person outside of football. When you develop a relationship like that it will definitely show when you are just having fun playing football.
  • Jiks
I just don't think guys like Ward and AA were as bad as the pundits made them out to be. The front office has been behind these guys from the get go knowing that the talent was always there but injuries in Ward's case and slower development in AA's case was getting in the way.
Both Armstead and Ward were seen as raw players with high ceilings (yes, it's true). Injuries and coaching derailed their careers early but the coaches and front office feel like they have the pieces to maximize their potential.

Tomsula was the most overrated position coach we've had and I would take Kocourek over him any day.

Discuss...

no...
Originally posted by thl408:

So much this. Kyle (and Lynch to a lesser extent) has said more than once in a press conference setting that they are always on the lookout to make the team better.
One of the reasons Eddie D was able to be so successful and create a winning culture was treating all of his players like family, rather than commodities. Ex Niners today still love the dude.
Its not loyalty, its best man wins the job. Plus those guys are being paid good money. They're going to get their chances.
Share 49ersWebzone