LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 263 users in the forums

The Niners WR position and why I think trading for another WR is a mistake

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
This isn't a legit thread until sus blesses us with his football knowledge.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
We don't need another receiver, we just need ours to get healthy.

Being completely objective I don't know how you can say that. What have you seen that would indicate any of them are ready to step up.
I think in a couple years the young guys may step up and become that top go to WR but the chance one will flip the switch this year is not likely.
If we were say 3-3 I'm not sure we are even having this conversation but it has become obvious we have an opportunity to make a big run this year.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I say before we make any trade for a WR we at least give Hurd a really good look with good opportunities. While I'd like to make a trade for a really established, proven guy (like A.J. Green) I just don't wanna mortgage our future before we've given these draftees a decent chance to show why they were drafted first.

Now, I will say that we may need to draft a WR in the 1st in the 2020 draft, and he should not be a slot-style WR either.

Trade deadline will be over before Hurd can make an impact and to expect a 3rd round Rookie who is playing s new position to step in and make a big impact is just wishful thinking.
Originally posted by Oilcan:

Being completely objective I don't know how you can say that. What have you seen that would indicate any of them are ready to step up.
I think in a couple years the young guys may step up and become that top go to WR but the chance one will flip the switch this year is not likely.
If we were say 3-3 I'm not sure we are even having this conversation but it has become obvious we have an opportunity to make a big run this year.

Being completely objective, we don't even need a "#1" receiver.
Devante Parker, Miami fire sale.
6-3, 215 libs, 26 years of age
2015 Draft: 1st round, 11th overall
2019 stats: 18 catches, 284 yards, 3 TDs
Good hands, strong, aggressive
2017 highlights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mam-41AfMM
I'm a Niner homer and die hard like most in the WZ. With that said honestly are WRs need to be upgraded. These guys hardly ever have big games or make big plays unless they are wide open. The team needs some help and I'm not blinded by a 6-0 start. Pettis, Goodwin, Deebo (granted he's a rookie), Bourne etc routinely finish games with only 20, 30, 40 yards. That isnt going to work against the tougher defenses that stop our running game. AJ Green would be a major upgrade. I'd be happy if they made that move.
Originally posted by cciowa:
I say before we make any trade for a WR we at least give Hurd a really good look with good opportunities. While I'd like to make a trade for a really established, proven guy (like A.J. Green) I just don't wanna mortgage our future before we've given these draftees a decent chance to show why they were drafted first.

Now, I will say that we may need to draft a WR in the 1st in the 2020 draft, and he should not be a slot-style WR either.

thats fine.. but what if he does not play this year and we miss a window to get a good guy. there are options out there and i would be angry if we just hoped taylor and hurd is the answer. then they do not play and the guys who are there now are not there. i think you need to be aggressive here. there are lots of good cheaper options out there than aj
To answer your question, if Hurd don't play this season then so be it. I am NOT sold that Taylor an answer at WR for us. Never was.) I'm OK with missing out on a guy if we missed because we didn't wanna mortgage our future to get one guy. I don't have a problem with us being aggressive to land one of these guys. But I'm not for mortgaging our future for one.

I take a panoramic, long-view of this. We are a playoff team without one of these A.J. Green-types WR's. Unlike many I DO NOT think that we are over-achieving. We under achieved last season due to record amount injuries in very key areas. This season, while we do have injuries we are healthy and deep in key areas, and it's showing. I say let this season play out, SB or not. Next season I say we go hard after WR's like Amari Cooper, Tyreek Hill. They're just 25 and 27, runs precise routes like Shanny demands, and can take to top off the defense. I'd go after A.J. Green and Emmanuel Sanders, but at 32 and 33 I just don't wanna see us give them too much. Maybe a two year incentive-heavy deal.

Agian, for a young team that looks to have built the right way and have avoided bad contracts and panic signings I say lets stay the course. Make a pitch for these players, but a pitch that won't mortgage our future.

IMHO
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
If we can pwn the Bungles into giving us AJ for our 2020 4th round pick then I would be down with that in a heart beat.
He's breaking down. Between this ankle issue this year and last year's toe injury he's missed 11 straight games and he's still not close to returning.
JimmyG's going to need another legitimate threat when Kittle is taken away by the better defenses in the playoffs. Teams are figuring out how to do that already. An increased chance at a SB ring is easily worth a mid level draft pick in this case.

Trade deadline will be over before Hurd can make an impact and to expect a 3rd round Rookie who is playing s new position to step in and make a big impact is just wishful thinking.

See my response to cciowa above. It applies to you as well.

We definitely need to check around for another WR...even if we don't get one, we should hope that an NFC team doesnt get a WR that can improve their team ...think about if someone like Seattle gets Parker or AJ Green for cheap...So we should explore trades, no matter if secretly we are fine with what we got..
To me it just comes down to getting some reliable hands on the outside. I like the upside of both the kids we drafted, but both are hurt and Deebo is still working on consistency besides. Taylor and James both struggle to get playing time when they are even healthy and they might have the best hands on the team. The rest run s**t routes, drop a ton of balls and just cant be considered dependable targets. We have a QB who is going to routinely ask these guys to fight for the ball in tight spaces, and most of them either wont or cant. Goodwin, Bourne, Pettis...they make one big play a game and screw up 4 others. If the coaches saw anything left in the tank with Mathews he would be on the field. So to me if we can do something that doesn't screw up the cap and makes sense in a year where after a long time we have the makings of a playoff run, this is that time to make a prudent move that doesn't shorten our window. If we can get Sanu or A.J. for a middle round pick and they want to deal fairly and honestly after the season....I would go for it.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
2017 highlights:

This is a guy you would need to send a young talent out the door to acquire. Not sure we are up for that, but he is going to get paid and we would need an offset to deal with his salary.

Being completely objective, we don't even need a "#1" receiver.

Well that's your opinion.
If by #1 you mean top 10 WR no we don't but come playoff time we will need someone to take pressure off Kittle.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
2017 highlights:

Would much rather give him a shot than Sanu
Share 49ersWebzone