LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Before greatness is recognized, the Defense must have a name!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Girls gone wild
Originally posted by 1251alex:
27 pages of cringe.

I vote for this name.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I forget who came up with it on this thread, but I still like Bosa Constrictors

B.A.R.T.

Bay Area Rapid Tacklers!
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jesusisreal:
Girls gone wild

Jesus Lovers or Devil Worshipers
I've never seen so many lame attempts to come up with a name for the defense. It' usually somebody in the media that hangs a name on a team or it's D since they have the exposure for the name to spread. Most of these suggestions are way over thought and would never really catch on. I still don't understand why we can't us Gold Rush. I doubt that the Steelers, Vikings, Rams and Dallas would try to come up with a new name when they already have iconic names like Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Fearsome Foursome and Doomsday.
Golden gate transit
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by 1251alex:
27 pages of cringe.

I vote for this name.

Please someone shoot this thread.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I've never seen so many lame attempts to come up with a name for the defense. It' usually somebody in the media that hangs a name on a team or it's D since they have the exposure for the name to spread. Most of these suggestions are way over thought and would never really catch on. I still don't understand why we can't us Gold Rush. I doubt that the Steelers, Vikings, Rams and Dallas would try to come up with a new name when they already have iconic names like Steel Curtain, Purple People Eaters, Fearsome Foursome and Doomsday.

you can't recycle the old names. They retire with the personnel who ran them.
I'm gonna bring it back up on my other post. Salehtary confinement

Hard to come up with nicknames methodically....usually organic, coming out of your head without any concept or planning.....just flies out of your mouth one day and there it is.

I'm usually pretty good with that sorta thing with nicknaming friends and stuff, but haven't tried to actually come up with something on purpose.

Let's look at some nicknames of recent past:

NYPD - New York Pass Defense (2016 NY Giants secondary)
NYSE - New York Sack Exchange (early 1980s NY Jets defensive line)
Sacksonville (recent Jags defense)

Small little tweaks for a name, or re-arranging common acronyms to suit your need. Names like Legion of Boom are harder to come up with....makes you wonder how the Hawks coined that one.

Based on the above I would submit a safe choice of:

SFPD - San Francisco Pass Defense

Maybe "The Rock" could be a nickname...after the Nic Cage/Sean Connery movie about Alcatraz...
The Beez

Beatup, Buried, & BOSAAA!
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 29, 2019 at 12:32 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:

you can't recycle the old names. They retire with the personnel who ran them.

Why? Is that a rule? I've heard it done several times including with this team.Trying too hard too come up with a name is like trying to imorive your team by changing uniforms. It doesn't work. The name has to come naturally and until it's being repeated by the media it will never stick.
The Underdogs
Gold Strike D, Mine Shaft D ???
Share 49ersWebzone