There are 220 users in the forums

Dan Brunskill - OG signs with the Titans

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
How many more times does Brunskill have to do this to get the respect the future LT of this franchise deserves?

Originally posted by okdkid:
How many more times does Brunskill have to do this to get the respect the future LT of this franchise deserves?

I'd feel more comfortable drafting a tackle BUT if our guys feels comfortable letting Brunskill be the guy until Staley retires, than that is all the better for us. We can draft a top tier guard with our first pick. Imagine having an O-line that could slow down our D-line lol. That's my goal.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I'd feel more comfortable drafting a tackle BUT if our guys feels comfortable letting Brunskill be the guy until Staley retires, than that is all the better for us. We can draft a top tier guard with our first pick. Imagine having an O-line that could slow down our D-line lol. That's my goal.

I dunno. I think it's pretty clear that we have a couple other issues more important to address in the draft than LT.

I'd feel more comfortable drafting a tackle
BUT if our guys feels comfortable letting Brunskill be the guy until Staley retires, than that is all the better for us. We can draft a top tier guard with our first pick. Imagine having an O-line that could slow down our D-line lol. That's my goal.

Brunskill is showing out every game day. There's no guarantee a drafted player will be better than him. Brunskill in my opinion is our LT from here on out. He's better than Staley and has plenty of football left in him.
Dude is the Kurt Warner of O-Lineman.
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Dude is the Kurt Warner of O-Lineman.

Seriously. He might be the 2nd biggest addition to this team this year.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
He gets no help beyond what any other LT would get throughout the course of a game. He dominates nearly every week. He is tremendous in pass protection.

He is the best player on our OL this year. And I don't know that it's close. Simply elite.
It's huge because we can focus on drafting other positions in a year where we have less picks.
He's been very impressive. Hard to justify benching him when Staley returns .
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
He's been very impressive. Hard to justify benching him when Staley returns .

Staley gets his job back, but on the season Brunskill > McGlinchey. That won't happen because McGlinchey is protected by his 1st round status and he is respected in the locker room. But the tape don't lie.

I dunno. I think it's pretty clear that we have a couple other issues more important to address in the draft than LT.

I said if we are comfortable wtih Brunskill, then we can go after a guard. There are some other issues, but they aren't deep save for receiver, and even then, we don't need to invest a first round pick. We all know what we look like at receiver without Sanders, although Samuel is emerging. I'd be fine with just a reliable deep threat which we can possibly get anywhere. We've invested a few picks at receiver in the last few years. One more and letting the best of the bunch emerge as the number 3 and 4 (rookie deep threat, Richie James, Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne, Jalen Hurd, Dante Pettis).

I think we could also upgrade at guard. Safety may be a need depending on what happens with Jimmy Ward. I think the playoff push and playoff run will determine what is at the top of the list.
This dude has heart. Just an excellent player.

Just playing devil's advocate - would be reassuring to see him stack more of these performances at LT (Skule did well in beginning but is now struggling and lost his job)
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Just playing devil's advocate - would be reassuring to see him stack more of these performances at LT (Skule did well in beginning but is now struggling and lost his job)

Sure. But he's coming back next year since he's only an ERFA. So, we'll get another season long look.

HOWEVER -- NOW is the time to extend him to a stupid cheap contract so we can spend money everywhere else. I *think* you can extend an ERFA, but not sure.
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:

Lets be fair about Skule. Rookie 6th round draft pick dropped into a tough role. I don't think he has lost his job, I think he has justified the drafting and his future with the team but clearly, as you would expect, needs coaching, development and weight room training. Much as any other rookie. With Shon Coleman, and another year from Staley, this is a strong position.
Share 49ersWebzone