There are 358 users in the forums

Playoffs but no Super Bowl yet.

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
I'm very impressed with our 4 - 0 start. I didn't think the 49ers would be this good this year. There is great renewed hope now. I see a lot of very good things. There is a lot of turn around here with this franchise. There is more going in the good direction than bad direction. But there are some costly concerns too IMO. Which will likely show up in the big games against the great teams and also in the playoffs.

The Good:

Defense line - After being so bad for so long and investing so many high draft picks in it the defensive line is finally starting to turn the corner. We also invested in it also in FA. Bosa, Dee Ford and Buckner look outstanding. Heck even Armstead looks better with better talent around him at least against the run.

Linebacker - Kwon Alexander and Fred Warner each look super fast and outstanding. We are in good position at LB.

Secondary - Sherman is playing outstanding and looks recovered and back to his old self. Ward even looks great if he can stay healthy. The others are playing well. Even backups look pretty good.

TE - Kittle is super fast with excellent hands and great route running. He breaks tackles and gets YAC. Dwelley is a good backup.

OL - McGlinchey and Richburg are really good players. Staley will eventually come back from injury. The others are playing well.

RB - Breida and Coleman both look really fast, explosive and productive.

The Bad:

FB - Kyle Juszczyk is hurt with the knee injury. With him run blocking and pass blocking and catching passes out of the backfield our offense really goes. It's not the same without him.

WR - Pettis and Deebo look shaky on catching and ball security. I see too many drops and sometimes the ball getting punched out. Our WR's need to CATCH the ball and HANG ON to it too. This concerns me.

QB - Jimmy G looks scared and skittish coming off the injury. He looks afraid to get hurt again. He keeps backing up and throwing off his back foot for weak, inaccurate throws. If he absolutely needs to make the throws and carry the team and convert long 3rd downs I have serious doubts right now. He is being covered up by outstanding defense and a great running game right now. But what happens against the great teams and in a close game when you need a QB to carry you? I'm not seeing it right now. He's not playing terrible. But there are big concerns here IMO.

Kicking game - 3rd string long snapper and a rookie holder. Wow does it show. Our FG's and extra points are a real adventure right now. It will cost you if you get into a close game against Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Against good teams and elite QB's you need to hit those and we are in deep trouble right now. Honestly I've seen High School teams snap and hold better than this. It will bite us against very good teams in close games.

In summary there is no doubt that there is a lot more good happening here than bad. But we have enough concerns that I think we are flawed against the real elite teams. If this team can stay healthy, get the FB back healthy, get Staley back healthy, fix the snap and hold disaster problem I think we are in pretty good shape. Maybe even really good shape. Then we just need Jimmy G to settle down, trust the leg, not worry about injury, step into throws and just make the throws with confidence. Our WR's need to catch the ball and secure it. If we can get all of that we can compete with just about anybody on any given Sunday. It's a lot to go right. But this team is on the rapid rise and will exceed expectations by a lot if all goes well. I do have some concerns against elite teams and elite QB's as I think we have some flaws right now that can be exposed in very close games where you need to firing on all cylinders and not just 80% or 90% of the cylinders. There is not much margin for error against the elite teams and QB's.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Oct 8, 2019 at 7:04 PM ]
This definitely needed its own thread.
playoffs and super bowl are premature right now

lets just enjoy being undefeated and kick some rams ass
Would be nice if the niners had a weak division like that other undefeated team, the patriots , but oh well. Niners still should compete. I've seen weaker teams make it all the way to the super bowl on some craziness.

I've seen the Eli Minning led Giants beat the damn patriots in the super bowl.

Anything can happen in the NFL. "Any given Sunday."

When Aaron Rodgers was a heavy favorite to win the NFC championship dude failed to even get to the Super Bowl.

When KC and Alex had an undefeated streak of 5-0, they got stale and lost ...five... in ..a ...row.

Last year when the Mahomers were praising the chiefs as 2018 NFL champions they failed to achieve success in the playoffs.

I've seen Russell Wilson and the seahawks limp into the playoffs and advanced on a missed TWENTY SEVEN yard Vikings field goal.

Compete until the last whistle of tge season. You never know.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
playoffs and super bowl are premature right now

lets just enjoy being undefeated and kick some rams ass

It is great to be undefeated and I am pleasantly surprised. I do hope we beat the Rams and keep it rolling.
insert jimmora.mp4...
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Would be nice if the niners had a weak division like that other undefeated team, the patriots , but oh well. Niners still should compete. I've seen weaker teams make it all the way to the super bowl on some craziness.

I've seen the Eli Minning led Giants beat the damn patriots in the super bowl.

Anything can happen in the NFL. "Any given Sunday."

When Aaron Rodgers was a heavy favorite to win the NFC championship dude failed to even get to the Super Bowl.

When KC and Alex had an undefeated streak of 5-0, they got stale and lost ...five... in ..a ...row.

Last year when the Mahomers were praising the chiefs as 2018 NFL champions they failed to achieve success in the playoffs.

I've seen Russell Wilson and the seahawks limp into the playoffs and advanced on a missed TWENTY SEVEN yard Vikings field goal.

Compete until the last whistle of tge season. You never know.

Yeah you never know. I hope we do keep competing at a high level and playing well. I just think against really good teams and excellent QB's if we are in a tight game we have some flaws which may show up. But no question as of right now at least we are just light years ahead of where we have been for the last few years. It's great to see. I hope it will continue. We will see. I hope it does. Our defense in particular and pass rush especially is so much better it's not even funny. That's a real game changer. The biggest game changer of all for this team I think. If you get other teams off the field and prevent them from scoring a lot you are really in a lot of games. Almost all of them. Even if other things don't go as well.
Should've drafted Quinnen Williams, would've been Super Bowl bound for sure. Look at how quick the Jets turned it around after drafting him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I'm very impressed with our 4 - 0 start. I didn't think the 49ers would be this good this year. There is great renewed hope now. I see a lot of very good things. There is a lot of turn around here with this franchise. There is more going in the good direction than bad direction. But there are some costly concerns too IMO. Which will likely show up in the big games against the great teams and also in the playoffs.

The Good:

Defense line - After being so bad for so long and investing so many high draft picks in it the defensive line is finally starting to turn the corner. We also invested in it also in FA. Bosa, Dee Ford and Buckner look outstanding. Heck even Armstead looks better with better talent around him at least against the run.

Linebacker - Kwon Alexander and Fred Warner each look super fast and outstanding. We are in good position at LB.

Secondary - Sherman is playing outstanding and looks recovered and back to his old self. Ward even looks great if he can stay healthy. The others are playing well. Even backups look pretty good.

TE - Kittle is super fast with excellent hands and great route running. He breaks tackles and gets YAC. Dwelley is a good backup.

OL - McGlinchey and Richburg are really good players. Staley will eventually come back from injury. The others are playing well.

RB - Breida and Coleman both look really fast, explosive and productive.

The Bad:

FB - Kyle Juszczyk is hurt with the knee injury. With him run blocking and pass blocking and catching passes out of the backfield our offense really goes. It's not the same without him.

WR - Pettis and Deebo look shaky on catching and ball security. I see too many drops and sometimes the ball getting punched out. Our WR's need to CATCH the ball and HANG ON to it too. This concerns me.

QB - Jimmy G looks scared and skittish coming off the injury. He looks afraid to get hurt again. He keeps backing up and throwing off his back foot for weak, inaccurate throws. If he absolutely needs to make the throws and carry the team and convert long 3rd downs I have serious doubts right now. He is being covered up by outstanding defense and a great running game right now. But what happens against the great teams and in a close game when you need a QB to carry you? I'm not seeing it right now. He's not playing terrible. But there are big concerns here IMO.

Kicking game - 3rd string long snapper and a rookie holder. Wow does it show. Our FG's and extra points are a real adventure right now. It will cost you if you get into a close game against Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers. Against good teams and elite QB's you need to hit those and we are in deep trouble right now. Honestly I've seen High School teams snap and hold better than this. It will bite us against very good teams in close games.

In summary there is no doubt that there is a lot more good happening here than bad. But we have enough concerns that I think we are flawed against the real elite teams. If this team can stay healthy, get the FB back healthy, get Staley back healthy, fix the snap and hold disaster problem I think we are in pretty good shape. Maybe even really good shape. Then we just need Jimmy G to settle down, trust the leg, not worry about injury, step into throws and just make the throws with confidence. Our WR's need to catch the ball and secure it. If we can get all of that we can compete with just about anybody on any given Sunday. It's a lot to go right. But this team is on the rapid rise and will exceed expectations by a lot if all goes well. I do have some concerns against elite teams and elite QB's as I think we have some flaws right now that can be exposed in very close games where you need to firing on all cylinders and not just 80% or 90% of the cylinders. There is not much margin for error against the elite teams and QB's.

This is "bad"?
69% completion percentage
7 TD/4 INT
8.1 yards per attempt
99.4 rating
  • evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by genus49:
Should've drafted Quinnen Williams, would've been Super Bowl bound for sure. Look at how quick the Jets turned it around after drafting him.

• thl408
Originally posted by TheWooLick:
This is "bad"?
7 TD/4 INT
8.1 yards per attempt
99.4 rating

We should be praising Kyle for gameplans that don't require our quarterback to put the game on his shoulders constantly. Jimmy is doing very well in his role.
Originally posted by Youngone:
This is "bad"?
7 TD/4 INT
8.1 yards per attempt
99.4 rating

We should be praising Kyle for gameplans that don't require our quarterback to put the game on his shoulders constantly. Jimmy is doing very well in his role.

Yep, he has less than a season of starts and is coming off acl surgery. Plus the run game wears down defenses and chews clock.
Originally posted by Youngone:
This is "bad"?
7 TD/4 INT
8.1 yards per attempt
99.4 rating

If he has big numbers than it means our run game is not working and we are probably playing from behind.
The 49ers could play .500 ball from now til the end of the season and still have 10 wins. Without a key injury (Jimmy, pass rushers) they should be playoff bound this year for sure.
Share 49erswebzone