There are 104 users in the forums

Harbaugh's 2011 49ers VERSUS Shanahan's 2019 49ers(hypothetical)Who would win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by All22:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
No way the 2019 49ers lose to a mediocre Giants squad and go 1/13 on 3rd down, with that 1 being a meaningless conversion as time expired in regulation.

That game will be the ultimate legacy of that 2011 offense. Moving the ball was like pulling teeth

God bless Alex Smith, but his only weapon was VD. That receiving corps was awful.

Agree. And it got just even worse as Baalkes drafts continued to stink.

They had Brett Swain in the NFCCG

Conversely this 2019 front office can draft pretty well. Between Baalke and John Lynch. Its john lynch hands down that's better drafter than Baalke. Outside of (I think) 2011, Baalkes drafts stank. Outside of Solomon and Reuben, (2017 draft) John's drafting has been good to great.

Kyle wanted Kamara really bad then John got him to trade that pick to the Saints.

I'm fine with the Foster pick. Dude has the talent of a superstar. It was worth taking that chance. Solly though was just a dumb pick in everyway. We already have two first rounders playing his position.

I think Solly and Reuben were rookie mistakes. Not a problem when you get Bosa, Greenlaw, and a ton of DLinemen late that can pass rush (julian taylor for example). John and company learned from thier mistakes. Baalke just never learned and kept making the same mistakes over and over. I mean his drafts stank.

REALLY, the difference between the GMs is the fact that Baalke looked at the measurements while Lynch trusted what he SAW... Baalke also felt that he can replace any veterans who was asking for too much money with a draft pick...
Originally posted by 49er4lyfe8:
It's a tough one. 2011 Defense was more complete in my opinion. Yes, the secondary gave up big plays but they made opposing offenses think twice when going across the middle. LBs and DL go to 2011 for sure. On offense, QB goes to 2019. RB is obvious, that goes to the living legend. WRs go to 2019 for sure. TE I will give the slight edge to Kittle. Yes VD was soft at times but that guy was a freak of nature. With today's rules and his speed, imagine what he could do today in his prime. He had captain check down in 2011 in a simple run first offense.

2011's D-line over Armstead, buckner, bosa, and Ford?

We had Justin Smith and Aldon. yeah, they were good but that was the only part of the d-line that stood out. we have 4/5 1st rounders on our D-line now. completely disagree on that one.
Originally posted by Jiks:
2011 was more talented 2019 is better coached

could not disagree more. we have so many playmakers with speed. the talent our DEPTH has if anything. but that could also be better coaching instead
Originally posted by Ark49er:
Have to remember that Crabtree was the go to WR for the 2011 team. Unfortunately for that team, Sherman plays for the 2019 team and we know how that matchup will go. Also Shannahan could expose the 2011 LB Corp in pass coverage. Now the key is what would be the rules. Would it be the rules of 2011 or 2019? If it's 2011 where you could still knock the hell out of guy going over the middle then the 2019 team might have some problems. Jimmy Garoppolo is a middle of the field passer so Kittle, Sanders, and Samuels might all get knocked out of the game by the 2011 team's safeties. If it's the current rules then the 2011 team really has little chance of beating this season 49ers team. The team speed would kill Harbaugh's team.

that's kinda what im thinking. agreed about the rules stuff.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

could not disagree more. we have so many playmakers with speed. the talent our DEPTH has if anything. but that could also be better coaching instead

Eh I am with Jiks. They had more talent at most Defensive positions and a better O-line in 2011. Skill players might be a push or even a slight edge to today, but not by a lot. The coaching then I think was slightly better on D, but on offense it is light years ahead, like there is no comparison. I think todays team beats 2011 8 times out of ten just because of Shanny and Jimmy G vs Roman and Kap is a slaughter. But the rest of it is much closer.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

Eh I am with Jiks. They had more talent at most Defensive positions and a better O-line in 2011. Skill players might be a push or even a slight edge to today, but not by a lot. The coaching then I think was slightly better on D, but on offense it is light years ahead, like there is no comparison. I think todays team beats 2011 8 times out of ten just because of Shanny and Jimmy G vs Roman and Kap is a slaughter. But the rest of it is much closer.

I still am not in agreement regarding a couple small things like talent. but i get what youre saying

you cant really compare o-lines.(aside froms staley lol) schemes were different. that was a line more predicated towards a power style running offense. ours is now all zone with guys who can move. I'd give the 2011 defense the edge easily when it comes to run defense. our 2019 defense is better suited to defend the pass and rush the quarterback, for sure.

but the thing 2019 wins in a landslide on every side of the ball is pure speed for sure. all 3 levels of defense and all of the offense
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Jan 9, 2020 at 8:45 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
REALLY, the difference between the GMs is the fact that Baalke looked at the measurements while Lynch trusted what he SAW... Baalke also felt that he can replace any veterans who was asking for too much money with a draft pick...

I read an article a few years ago that said Baalke never spoke to the coaching staff. He only talked to Harbaugh occasionally, and that eventually disappeared too as time went on. Baalke literally holed himself in his office and made the draft list solely on his scouts info and never got input from the coaching staff- since the relationship between him and Harbaugh were so bad. That is one big factor why Baalke stank as a GM.
Any rumors leaking out of the locker room? No? 2019 >>>>> 2011
Originally posted by socalniner:

Oh yes, I was forgetting.
2019 >

Not even a question any more. This 2019 team wouldn't lose to a mediocre ass 9-7 giants team at home in the NFCCG
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by socalniner:

Oh yes, I was forgetting.

Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Not even a question any more. This 2019 team wouldn't lose to a mediocre ass 9-7 giants team at home in the NFCCG

2019 team has a ferocious championship caliber d-line, and speed all around. paired with Jimmy G who should be considered easily a top 10 QB, with Shanahan's mind, 2019 > all the way
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:

He had too much control. In the end, I heard from members here - about reading articles on him trying to coach the guys he drafted, because his drafts sucked so bad. Jed got it right this time with ShanaLynch.
2011 D was superior, no question about it, but other than that, the 2019 shines in every way. In 2011 our offense sucked and we were one of the worst 3rd down team in the league. Our offense cost us the NFC championship game vs the Giants that year.
Share 49erswebzone