LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Harbaugh's 2011 49ers VERSUS Shanahan's 2019 49ers(hypothetical)Who would win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by Jiks:
2011 was more talented 2019 is better coached

could not disagree more. we have so many playmakers with speed. the talent our DEPTH has if anything. but that could also be better coaching instead

Eh I am with Jiks. They had more talent at most Defensive positions and a better O-line in 2011. Skill players might be a push or even a slight edge to today, but not by a lot. The coaching then I think was slightly better on D, but on offense it is light years ahead, like there is no comparison. I think todays team beats 2011 8 times out of ten just because of Shanny and Jimmy G vs Roman and Kap is a slaughter. But the rest of it is much closer.

I still am not in agreement regarding a couple small things like talent. but i get what youre saying

you cant really compare o-lines.(aside froms staley lol) schemes were different. that was a line more predicated towards a power style running offense. ours is now all zone with guys who can move. I'd give the 2011 defense the edge easily when it comes to run defense. our 2019 defense is better suited to defend the pass and rush the quarterback, for sure.

but the thing 2019 wins in a landslide on every side of the ball is pure speed for sure. all 3 levels of defense and all of the offense
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Jan 9, 2020 at 8:45 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
REALLY, the difference between the GMs is the fact that Baalke looked at the measurements while Lynch trusted what he SAW... Baalke also felt that he can replace any veterans who was asking for too much money with a draft pick...

I read an article a few years ago that said Baalke never spoke to the coaching staff. He only talked to Harbaugh occasionally, and that eventually disappeared too as time went on. Baalke literally holed himself in his office and made the draft list solely on his scouts info and never got input from the coaching staff- since the relationship between him and Harbaugh were so bad. That is one big factor why Baalke stank as a GM.
Any rumors leaking out of the locker room? No? 2019 >>>>> 2011
Originally posted by socalniner:

Oh yes, I was forgetting.
2019 >
Not even a question any more. This 2019 team wouldn't lose to a mediocre ass 9-7 giants team at home in the NFCCG
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by socalniner:

Oh yes, I was forgetting.

Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
Not even a question any more. This 2019 team wouldn't lose to a mediocre ass 9-7 giants team at home in the NFCCG

2019 team has a ferocious championship caliber d-line, and speed all around. paired with Jimmy G who should be considered easily a top 10 QB, with Shanahan's mind, 2019 > all the way
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
REALLY, the difference between the GMs is the fact that Baalke looked at the measurements while Lynch trusted what he SAW... Baalke also felt that he can replace any veterans who was asking for too much money with a draft pick...

He had too much control. In the end, I heard from members here - about reading articles on him trying to coach the guys he drafted, because his drafts sucked so bad. Jed got it right this time with ShanaLynch.
2011 D was superior, no question about it, but other than that, the 2019 shines in every way. In 2011 our offense sucked and we were one of the worst 3rd down team in the league. Our offense cost us the NFC championship game vs the Giants that year.

The only good thing about the 2011 niners was defense hitting hard and frank gore.
Originally posted by Snitch:
2011 D was superior, no question about it, but other than that, the 2019 shines in every way. In 2011 our offense sucked and we were one of the worst 3rd down team in the league. Our offense cost us the NFC championship game vs the Giants that year.

no question about 2011> to 2019 D? you sure about that? secondary was a liability in pass coverage. we had aldon and justin on the D-line which does not compare to the likes of bosa, armstead, buck, and dee ford it's like 4-2 there. id give our LB's the edge in 2011 but that's LITERALLY it...
Eh I am with Jiks. They had more talent at most Defensive positions and a better O-line in 2011. Skill players might be a push or even a slight edge to today, but not by a lot. The coaching then I think was slightly better on D, but on offense it is light years ahead, like there is no comparison. I think todays team beats 2011 8 times out of ten just because of Shanny and Jimmy G vs Roman and Kap is a slaughter. But the rest of it is much closer.

If you think Shanny & Jimmy vs. Roman & Kap is a slaughter, imagine how much bigger a slaughter that Shanny & Jimmy vs. Roman & Alex Smith would be (which is what the thread is about, not the year after).
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

If you think Shanny & Jimmy vs. Roman & Kap is a slaughter, imagine how much bigger a slaughter that Shanny & Jimmy vs. Roman & Alex Smith would be (which is what the thread is about, not the year after).

this ^
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
no question about 2011> to 2019 D? you sure about that? secondary was a liability in pass coverage. we had aldon and justin on the D-line which does not compare to the likes of bosa, armstead, buck, and dee ford it's like 4-2 there. id give our LB's the edge in 2011 but that's LITERALLY it...

this is underselling some of the other guys on that D, as well as how dominant our Smith Bros were. Yea they weren't all pros but Ahmad Brooks/RayMac were no joke. Aldon/Justin that year, iirc, were more dominant than any of our DL guys right now and that's saying something. HUGE edge goes to Pat/Bow, it's not even close in my opinion. Secondary is a close call to me, while Sherm is the best corner, I'd say the rest is a wash, maybe slight edge to 2011. Carlos Rogers was having a pro bowl year until he had to cover Victor Cruz.
Share 49ersWebzone