LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

Harbaugh's 2011 49ers VERSUS Shanahan's 2019 49ers(hypothetical)Who would win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Jaci
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
idc how good the 2011 defense was. We had a beast in Justin Smith, and Aldon. and elite ILB's....that was pretty much it. our DB's were overrated in pass coverage, and in today's NFL no way they survive (rules)

Shanahan is masterful and in a league of his own when it comes to scheme, deception, and play-calling. He definitely takes advantage of our 2011 dominant defense and their weaknesses. and our 2019 defense vs. an Alex Smith-lead offense in 2011 gets crushed.

I agree- The 2011 secondary was all about hard hitting, that's how they were remembered, but it really glossed over their actual coverage ability. They gave up a lot of big passing plays and I believe their passing d was ranked 16th. They had the top rushing d, no doubt that unit was stacked, but I think they would have no answer for Kittle and Deebo.
At full strength 2019 D especially, Alex would struggle hard and Sherman would shut down a certain sorry a** reciever yet again.
[ Edited by Jaci on Jan 3, 2020 at 7:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Jaci:
idc how good the 2011 defense was. We had a beast in Justin Smith, and Aldon. and elite ILB's....that was pretty much it. our DB's were overrated in pass coverage, and in today's NFL no way they survive (rules)

Shanahan is masterful and in a league of his own when it comes to scheme, deception, and play-calling. He definitely takes advantage of our 2011 dominant defense and their weaknesses. and our 2019 defense vs. an Alex Smith-lead offense in 2011 gets crushed.

I agree- The 2011 secondary was all about hard hitting, that's how they were remembered, but it really glossed over their actual coverage ability. They gave up a lot of big passing plays and I believe their passing d was ranked 16th. They had the top rushing d, no doubt that unit was stacked, but I think they would have no answer for Kittle and Deebo.
At full strength 2019 D especially, Alex would struggle hard and Sherman would shut down a certain sorry a** reciever yet again.

wouldn't even matter if our D was full strength though, IMO. 2011-esque Alex would fold under the pressure just of Bosa and Armstead alone. 2011 receivers would have a hard time getting open. only chance the 2011 offense would have would be getting Frank Gore going. but even then, our offense was kind of slow in terms of speed. I just think with how safe and conservative Alex was in 2011, it would play right into the teeth of this year's 2019 defense

think about it, our defense has tried to resemble the dominant Seattle defense of 2012~ that dominated US in the Harbaugh years. similar scheme, personnel to fit the scheme, etc
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Jan 3, 2020 at 8:27 AM ]

wouldn't even matter if our D was full strength though, IMO. 2011-esque Alex would fold under the pressure just of Bosa and Armstead alone. 2011 receivers would have a hard time getting open. only chance the 2011 offense would have would be getting Frank Gore going. but even then, our offense was kind of slow in terms of speed. I just think with how safe and conservative Alex was in 2011, it would play right into the teeth of this year's 2019 defense

think about it, our defense has tried to resemble the dominant Seattle defense of 2012~ that dominated US in the Harbaugh years. similar scheme, personnel to fit the scheme, etc

That's exactly right! Jimmy G beats Phil Jennings...remember in OT, we had the ball...all Alex had to do was drive down for a FG and we go to the SB. Sure Kyle Williams fumbled and that was huge. But I didn't have any confidence in Alex driving down to win the game. We would probably have to get lucky for Gore to break a run open again.

2019 team by a FG to win.
  • Jaci
  • Veteran
I remember Tampa giving Goldson that massive contract back in the day and thinking what a bunch of idiots.

Many sundays I remember watching that secondary give up huge plays esp on 3rd down. Sure they would lay the wood on opposing receivers but if its after a 40 yard gain, who gives a fu*k? Jimmy, kittle, Sanders, juice and deebo would slice right through them.
Classic Harbaugh teams, big personalities, highlight reel hits, but huge holes that are effectively ignored in the ra-ra hype.
I remember Tampa giving Goldson that massive contract back in the day and thinking what a bunch of idiots.

Many sundays I remember watching that secondary give up huge plays esp on 3rd down. Sure they would lay the wood on opposing receivers but if its after a 40 yard gain, who gives a fu*k? Jimmy, kittle, Sanders, juice and deebo would slice right through them.
Classic Harbaugh teams, big personalities, highlight reel hits, but huge holes that are effectively ignored in the ra-ra hype.

well said. we as fans kind of got lost in that as well
Originally posted by thl408:
You also have Alex Smith starring in Mission Impossible whenever it's 3rd & 6. Whereas Jimmy is converting 3rd & 16 like a G.

"3rd and 8? We'll get em next time!"
Given perfect health of both teams...

Would probably have to go with 2019 only because of a more complete offense vs 2011/2012. It's early but...
JG> Smith or Kap
Kittle> VD
2011 O-line > 2019
2019 WR's > 2011 (f*ck Kyle Williams)
Gore > 2019 Committee
2019 D-line at full health > Aldon, Justin Ray Mac, Brooks
Willis/Bowman > 2019 LBs
2019 CBs > 2011 CBs
Safeties.. push? 2011 had hard hitters at the expense of coverage but 2019 when healthy were Solid all around

Completely different team make up in 2011/2012 vs 2019. But the offense is better under Shanny and in terms of defense... no one could run on the Fangio defense but the pass rush and DBs of 2019 makes QBs look like fools (again in perfect health). It is really a toss up and the 2019 still hasnt proven anything in the playoffs... but based on pure talent I'm inclined to go with 2019. But thats if everyone is healthy, at the end of the season... without a SB win 2011 would likely win out based on who was able to suit up in the play offs. The Harbaugh years had way more hype than this team which is going to sway allot of opinions.
[ Edited by TheRickestRick on Jan 3, 2020 at 2:09 PM ]
  • Jaci
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by thl408:
You also have Alex Smith starring in Mission Impossible whenever it's 3rd & 6. Whereas Jimmy is converting 3rd & 16 like a G.

"3rd and 8? We'll get em next time!"

this is so accurate
It's a tough one. 2011 Defense was more complete in my opinion. Yes, the secondary gave up big plays but they made opposing offenses think twice when going across the middle. LBs and DL go to 2011 for sure. On offense, QB goes to 2019. RB is obvious, that goes to the living legend. WRs go to 2019 for sure. TE I will give the slight edge to Kittle. Yes VD was soft at times but that guy was a freak of nature. With today's rules and his speed, imagine what he could do today in his prime. He had captain check down in 2011 in a simple run first offense.

Have to remember that Crabtree was the go to WR for the 2011 team. Unfortunately for that team, Sherman plays for the 2019 team and we know how that matchup will go. Also Shannahan could expose the 2011 LB Corp in pass coverage. Now the key is what would be the rules. Would it be the rules of 2011 or 2019? If it's 2011 where you could still knock the hell out of guy going over the middle then the 2019 team might have some problems. Jimmy Garoppolo is a middle of the field passer so Kittle, Sanders, and Samuels might all get knocked out of the game by the 2011 team's safeties. If it's the current rules then the 2011 team really has little chance of beating this season 49ers team. The team speed would kill Harbaugh's team.
  • Jiks
2011 was more talented 2019 is better coached
Originally posted by Jiks:

That 2011 team would absolutely run the ball down our throats and they'd stuff the running game we have completely. That team would make this team absolutely a finesse one in comparison. That team would plaster these offensive players at every level of that 2011 defense. Yes this team is better coached but as you've said. That 2011 team was hella talented and extremely proud and physical. Hell you got bow and Willis in the middle for crying out loud. They were monsters at that time. Freaks! Then up front with those Smith brothers! SMH. Then the back breaker hard hitting safeties we had! LOL
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Jan 3, 2020 at 10:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by Jiks:

That 2011 team would absolutely run the ball down our throats and they'd stuff the running game we have completely. That team would make this team absolutely a finesse one in comparison. That team would plaster these offensive players at every level of that 2011 defense. Yes this team is better coached but as you've said. That 2011 team was hella talented and extremely proud and physical. Hell you got bow and Willis in the middle for crying out loud. They were monsters at that time. Freaks! Then up front with those Smith brothers! SMH. Then the back breaker hard hitting safeties we had! LOL

I agree with all the stuff you said, but dam its hard to count out Kyle scheming to destroy that squad.
No way the 2019 49ers lose to a mediocre Giants squad and go 1/13 on 3rd down, with that 1 being a meaningless conversion as time expired in regulation.

That game will be the ultimate legacy of that 2011 offense. Moving the ball was like pulling teeth
Share 49ersWebzone