There are 363 users in the forums

Harbaugh's 2011 49ers VERSUS Shanahan's 2019 49ers(hypothetical)Who would win?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Thanos89:
I think this team would win, but they would have matched up very well. This year when we were healthy on the Dline we were shutting down passing attacks. That harbs/fangio D were dominating vs the run, but not as good vs the pass. Where as this defense even when we were healthy have gotten beat up in the run game.

Offensively, this team is much better. Jimmy G is a lot better than Alex and Kap were. And our playcalling as a whole is better Imo. I like our wide outs better with Sanders and Deebo (2011 was Crabtree and Ted Ginn) and a better tight end, that team had Frank The Inconvenient Truth Gore, and Kendal Hunter was a good change of pace back. Offensive lines are kind of a wash to me. That oline was huge bodies anchored by Iupati pulling through the holes, this oline is smaller faster and more agile. Power run vs zone run. This offense is much much more explosive to me. Did we ever put up a 40 burger on a team under harbs? Or dominate a team like we did to the Packers and Carolina (I think we had one against the Bucs that year where we scored 40)
Yup. I was there when we smashed Tampa. A 40 burger indeed!
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
That 2011 defense allowed no one to rush for a buck until Marshawn Lynch late season. That defense was more oppressive than South Africa during apartheid. You weren't going anywhere under them. Running a wide 9 vs Frank Gore and those huge OL? Please. Trying to get Kittle open vs Bowman and Willis? Please. Sanders and Bourne being able to withstand decapitation from Goldson and Whitner? Fuggetabouit! Then you have Vernon Davis vs these LBs? LOL! That 2011 team was the champ if not for Kyle Williams

agreed, 2011 was deff better, still have no clue how we lost to the ravens
Originally posted by thl408:
You also have Alex Smith starring in Mission Impossible whenever it's 3rd & 6. Whereas Jimmy is converting 3rd & 16 like a G.

Yep. This team has a QB. That team did not. Simple as that.
[ Edited by SteveWallacesHelmet on Dec 26, 2019 at 2:06 PM ]
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:

2011 team didnt lose to the Ravens. It lost to the Giants.
Shanny is a players' coach. Unlike Harbros.

See: Richard Sherman,Brandon Jacobs etc.
  • dj43
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Shanny is a players' coach. Unlike Harbros.

See: Richard Sherman,Brandon Jacobs etc.

"I'm not sending Harbaugh Christmas cards." Richard Sherman.
  • dj43
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Who cares?

The '88 or '89 team would have smoked both of them!

I prefer comparing the great or good 49ers teams to other franchises teams. How can we compare Harbaugh and Shanahan's teams anyway? Shanahan's team is still playing. I know this much, Harbaugh started out way better then Shanahan, so I guess it will be all about how KS can finish.

Bill Walsh & George Seifert say hello... 5 rings

Agree. Not only was it a more talented team, but the level of coaching was also FAR better.
I think people forget the sheer ineptitude of the 2011 offense. And that vaunted defense was absolutely shredded by the saints and giants. If healthy, 2019 by a landslide
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

2011 team lost to the Ravens in the regular season, 16-6 iirc. Not sure if he was mixed up though.
Originally posted by LayTheWoodall:
I think people forget the sheer ineptitude of the 2011 offense. And that vaunted defense was absolutely shredded by the saints and giants. If healthy, 2019 by a landslide

The 2011 defense was one of the best we've ever had. The Saints did break us but we won that game. The Giants however did nothing on offense. We gifted them 10+ points on the Kyle Williams fumbles.

The 2012 D was great as well but injuries caught up to us in the playoffs and super bowl (mainly Justin Smith's torn bicep).

Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:

2011 team lost to the Ravens in the regular season, 16-6 iirc. Not sure if he was mixed up though.

You are right. If my assumption that he was talking about the Superbowl was incorrect, I apologize. I doubt I am, but never know!
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
That 2011 defense allowed no one to rush for a buck until Marshawn Lynch late season. That defense was more oppressive than South Africa during apartheid. You weren't going anywhere under them. Running a wide 9 vs Frank Gore and those huge OL? Please. Trying to get Kittle open vs Bowman and Willis? Please. Sanders and Bourne being able to withstand decapitation from Goldson and Whitner? Fuggetabouit! Then you have Vernon Davis vs these LBs? LOL! That 2011 team was the champ if not for Kyle Williams

You also have Alex Smith starring in Mission Impossible whenever it's 3rd & 6. Whereas Jimmy is converting 3rd & 16 like a G.

any film threads this week?
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The 2011 defense was one of the best we've ever had. The Saints did break us but we won that game. The Giants however did nothing on offense. We gifted them 10+ points on the Kyle Williams fumbles.

The 2012 D was great as well but injuries caught up to us in the playoffs and super bowl (mainly Justin Smith's torn bicep).

Drew Brees and Jimmy graham we're freaks and made a couple freakish plays. But I remember Justin Smith carrying OL men into Drew Brees. That defense was bananas. To think they carried Alex Smith to what should have been a chip if not for Kyle Williams I'm only Jim's first season!
Originally posted by Leathaface:

Right
idc how good the 2011 defense was. We had a beast in Justin Smith, and Aldon. and elite ILB's....that was pretty much it. our DB's were overrated in pass coverage, and in today's NFL no way they survive (rules)

Shanahan is masterful and in a league of his own when it comes to scheme, deception, and play-calling. He definitely takes advantage of our 2011 dominant defense and their weaknesses. and our 2019 defense vs. an Alex Smith-lead offense in 2011 gets crushed.
Share 49ersWebzone