LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

One thing I noticed about the offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is that since Jimmy G is just coming back from his ACL injury there wasn't a lot of bootleg and roll out play action that you traditionally see out of a Shanahan style offense

I believe this is one of the reasons why the running game didn't function as well as it could have and the reason why we saw more Drive blocking then zone-blocking

That being the case hopefully the offensive adjustment is made and we will see more pistol and shotgun formations

Discuss...
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Is that since Jimmy G is just coming back from his ACL injury there wasn't a lot of bootleg and roll out play action that you traditionally see out of a Shanahan style offense

I believe this is one of the reasons why the running game didn't function as well as it could have and the reason why we saw more Drive blocking then zone-blocking

That being the case hopefully the offensive adjustment is made and we will see more pistol and shotgun formations

Discuss...

Should JG start clapping his hands to snap the ball like Kyle Murray too?
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

Discuss...

Should JG start clapping his hands to snap the ball like Kyle Murray too?

If it improves the offense overall I don't see why it should be a problem
[ Edited by SlowDownBoy on Sep 11, 2019 at 10:15 AM ]
  • thl408
They didn't dial up a lot of outside zone runs vs TB and bootleg action feeds off of that. They ran three bootlegs, off the top of my head. One where Kittle was targeted, two where Goodwin was targeted.
Originally posted by thl408:
They didn't dial up a lot of outside zone runs vs TB and bootleg action feeds off of that. They ran three bootlegs, off the top of my head. One where Kittle was targeted, two where Goodwin was targeted.

Yes that is true but I was under the assumption that it was because they didn't want Jimmy doing too much running around since he's still coming back from knee surgery.

I figure if they want to limit his movement while still running all the same plays in the offense they need to do more pistol formation

They can still run outside Zone an inside Zone while still in that formation
  • thl408

Yes that is true but I was under the assumption that it was because they didn't want Jimmy doing too much running around since he's still coming back from knee surgery.

I figure if they want to limit his movement while still running all the same plays in the offense they need to do more pistol formation

That's possible. I don't think Kyle would admit that if asked, but I wouldn't rule it out.
It's only been one game. You think Shanahan is going to reveal everything in the offense after one game?

/End discussion
Originally posted by billbird2111:
It's only been one game. You think Shanahan is going to reveal everything in the offense after one game?

/End discussion

Good call!

That's possible. I don't think Kyle would admit that if asked, but I wouldn't rule it out.

Eh, although it could be a possibility, i highly doubt it. Jimmy's an athletic dude (he didn't look too quick on his scramble tho lol) he's done plenty of running in different settings with higher intensity during his rehab. Typically on a boot the QB doesn't run full speed off the fake hand off, so you can let the play develop. I doubt Kyle is worried about Jimmy basically jogging on a boot PA. Although i wont rule it out.. i do believe kyles conservative play calling is a result of jimmy looking pretty rusty, which at least in my eyes was as expected. A lot of short passes, to get jimmy in the feel of things is what i saw. The offense will get better as the season goes on, I can't wait to get Trent back and see what Hurd has to offer.
I noticed that Pettis our best we at separation by a mile was playing 2 snaps. One of which he got 7 yards. Take out Goodwin and start Pettis and Samuel and sprinkle in James and Goodwin in the slot please.

We need wrs to get open. As soon as James was open jg hit him.

Originally posted by billbird2111:

/End discussion

No I didn't think so either but if we are looking at it from an objective standpoint ideally you want to limit the movements of a player who had an injury of that magnitude.

Being the case more pistol formations would be advisable

Because when you look at Sunday's game it was unnecessarily sloppy and uncoordinated

but as you said it is just the first game of the season so we'll see how everything progresses
Originally posted by JayBomber:

Eh, although it could be a possibility, i highly doubt it. Jimmy's an athletic dude (he didn't look too quick on his scramble tho lol) he's done plenty of running in different settings with higher intensity during his rehab. Typically on a boot the QB doesn't run full speed off the fake hand off, so you can let the play develop. I doubt Kyle is worried about Jimmy basically jogging on a boot PA. Although i wont rule it out.. i do believe kyles conservative play calling is a result of jimmy looking pretty rusty, which at least in my eyes was as expected. A lot of short passes, to get jimmy in the feel of things is what i saw. The offense will get better as the season goes on, I can't wait to get Trent back and see what Hurd has to offer.

I like Trent Taylor 2 but it's highly unlikely that he will make a huge difference I'm regards to the offense once he gets back.
The one thing I noticed about the offense was that it was off.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JayBomber:

I like Trent Taylor 2 but it's highly unlikely that he will make a huge difference I'm regards to the offense once he gets back.

Richie James is better.
Some information from Steve Young regarding Garoppolo and his knee...

https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/9/12/20862800/49ers-jimmy-garoppolo-steve-young-acl-injury-miscues
Share 49ersWebzone