LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 282 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Love how quickly Garoppolo goes through the progression. Just needs to knock the rust off.
  • Antix
  • Veteran
That play got the "Hands!" call from me. That was an NFL catch AND he knocked the DB. That was definitely reminiscent of Boldin.

But he also had an unforced fumble and couldn't get open. In other words, he played like a rookie.
This thread is the best and most informative read (and watch) in NT, and it is not even close. Thank you.
I listen to NFL network and they stated Ju Ju cannot become the number one wr on the Steelers by default, all the WR's are twos and threes until someone earns the title of number 1 WR, ie Jerry Rice, AJ Green, Julio Jones.

The Niners have NO NUMBER 1 WR's, the spot is UP for grabs. The team HOPES Deebo can claim it, but so far it appears we have lots of 2's and 3s and hoping someon can stand out soon.
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by elguapo:
We just stopped a top Passing offense in the nfl. Rather easily. Their ol isn't that good however they may have the best 1-2 punch at wr and a kick ass te.

I really can't wait til Sunday to confirm this game wasn't a fluke due to the weather and illness among the Bucs including Mike Evans.

As crazy as it is Dalton is the league leader in passing yards. If we can shut down their passing game similar to what we did with Tampa bay without the heat situation I'll feel much better about our D moving forward.

Of course playing Steelers and Cleveland weeks 3/5 won't be much of a breather considering those QBs are way better than Winston/Dalton. In fact the only game on our schedule without a dangerous QB(on paper at least) is the Washington game and funny enough Keenum put up the 4th most passing yards week 1.

Definitely need our pass rush to keep playing like they did in the 2nd half and have our secondary play that way as well. If we can get that defense out there consistently we're going to the playoffs.

Who suggested that? Both teams played in the heat and they should've been better prepared to handle that weather.
Deebo looking like he's going through the motion of running his routes instead of taking his time trying to sell it.

He'll be alright once he calm down a little
Originally posted by 9erred:
I listen to NFL network and they stated Ju Ju cannot become the number one wr on the Steelers by default, all the WR's are twos and threes until someone earns the title of number 1 WR, ie Jerry Rice, AJ Green, Julio Jones.

The Niners have NO NUMBER 1 WR's, the spot is UP for grabs. The team HOPES Deebo can claim it, but so far it appears we have lots of 2's and 3s and hoping someon can stand out soon.

I'm not even confident in calling any of our WRs #2's
Wrt to Kyle calling a lot of inside zone, I have a couple of theories.

Calling less explosive plays not only to keep TB's offense off the field, but to shorten the game in general for the whole team due to the heat and humidity.

Running towards the strength of TB's line (DTs) to wear them out, so hopefully they would be less effective at pressurinng our QB.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I have a question about how you can tell what defense they're in when usually all they show is the line of scrimmage at the snap. Do you have access to other film? Occasionally they show a wide view that shows the whole field but that's not the norm. The camera tends to focus on the ball and we can't usually see what king of pre snap adjustments are being made. Just curious.

Think I can answer that since JD might be in a meeting. What he's showing is from nfl.com, on game rewind that can be purchased for like $100, there's "coaches film" that you can watch for the games. You can see the game from different angles. It's cool, I love it, I purchase game rewind every year and can watch all 49er games/coaches film as much as you want

Thanks. I couldn't figure out how you were seeing all this.

NP. You should definitely do it if you have the cash, well worth it imo
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Deebo looking like he's going through the motion of running his routes instead of taking his time trying to sell it.

He'll be alright once he calm down a little

Maybe he's still thinking too much out there?

• thl408
Originally posted by John_Candy:
Wrt to Kyle calling a lot of inside zone, I have a couple of theories.

Calling less explosive plays not only to keep TB's offense off the field, but to shorten the game in general for the whole team due to the heat and humidity.

Running towards the strength of TB's line (DTs) to wear them out, so hopefully they would be less effective at pressurinng our QB.
Outside zone does a good job of tiring the DL. I'll try to show a couple plays where they ran inside, directly into a bear front. It was odd. Usually a QB will check out of that call at the line.
  • thl408
" Our goal was to go in and try to get 30 runs. We thought if we got 30 runs in that game, we'd win. You count our two kneel downs I think we got 32. That was the goal of it. Wish we could have ran better, but I think that has to do with helping us not turn it over and things like that." - Kyle

After the Dick pick 6, the Bucs answered with a 6+ minute TD drive to make it 20-14. It's important for the 49ers to not go quick 3 and out. Hold the ball to give the D a rest.
49ers come out with 22 personnel, removing a WR for Toilolo. Bucs are in base 3-4 (the two OLBs are hand in the dirt). 3 DLs Over shifted to the offensive strongside (side with Juice). 49ers run Counter Left

Blue is force defender. He slows as his eyes are on the jet sweep motion. RBs counter step.

By occupying the force defender's eyes with the jet sweep, he doesn't press the D gap, making the gap larger and the block easier for the pulling Person.

+10

(if the gif is bugging out let me know, fixed?)
[ Edited by thl408 on Sep 11, 2019 at 9:47 PM ]
^ totally bugging out.
  • thl408
That worked. Let's try it to the other side. Very next play. Same personnel.

Jet sweep is just eye candy.

+13
Originally posted by SunDevilNiner79:
Originally posted by thl408:
New season, new film to watch! Let's go!

I'll start with the defense because they were the stars on Sunday.

TB came with lots of Bear fronts and the 49ers ran right into it. I was wondering why as I was re-watching. My guess is maybe it was so hot Kyle didn't want to run the OL since OL doesn't substitute? No idea, but after a number of unsuccessful runs, there was a series in the 3Q where the 49ers made an adjustment, went 22 personnel, and ran some Counter plays that resulted in good runs - off tackle is how to beat a Bear front. Tomlinson and Richburg really struggled in run blocking vs Suh/Vea.

By the way, can you please email Herm Edwards this tidbit. K thx

I think I saw ASU run it up the gut 20 times into a Bear Front last game

Sounds about right.
Share 49ersWebzone