There are 222 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
If there are any plays you guys want to see in particular give me the description.

Week 1 1994 Jerry Rice record breaking Td....K, Thanks

*Because I'm a nerd....I youtubed it just to see if you can get a glimpse of anything. Jerry was a deep post....and was a Play pass. Cant tell from the views I've seen the concept.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 12, 2019 at 9:11 AM ]
Originally posted by elguapo:
We just stopped a top Passing offense in the nfl. Rather easily. Their ol isn't that good however they may have the best 1-2 punch at wr and a kick ass te.

A top passing offense? Lmao. Did i miss the season where Winston was good?
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by 9erred:
I listen to NFL network and they stated Ju Ju cannot become the number one wr on the Steelers by default, all the WR's are twos and threes until someone earns the title of number 1 WR, ie Jerry Rice, AJ Green, Julio Jones.

The Niners have NO NUMBER 1 WR's, the spot is UP for grabs. The team HOPES Deebo can claim it, but so far it appears we have lots of 2's and 3s and hoping someon can stand out soon.

It's an overrated term. Get the most talent you can and throw it to the open guy.

So much this. But it is human nature to apply labels.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
We just stopped a top Passing offense in the nfl. Rather easily. Their ol isn't that good however they may have the best 1-2 punch at wr and a kick ass te.

They were top5 offense last season. I believe they were #1 in passing yards. A lot was probably Fitz though lol
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Sep 12, 2019 at 9:25 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
can we get an assessment of Jimmy G ? I saw a few plays where he had time to throw, was he just not looking or no one was open.

I'll show a few plays where he may have had a chance to make a play or he had time, didn't pull the trigger, and the TV view didn't show what was downfield. This is the play after the Kittle TD was nullified due to Juice's pass interference.
Smash concept to Jimmy's right (Cover 2 buster) + a triangle stretch to Jimmy's left. Bucs are going to play a Quarters shell with 4 underneath zone (they are rushing 3).
Jimmy takes the snap is going to work the triangle stretch the whole way, never looking towards Smash. The red + yellow routes are a horizontal stretch on the boundary safety. Yellow + green is a vertical stretch on the underneath zone defenders.

Bourne delays his release so that can trail behind Kittle - you can see Bourne slow off the line at the snap, that's intentional. When Kittle crosses the face of the boundary safety (blue) the horizontal stretch is on. If blue safety leans towards Kittle, Bourne is open on the Post. Red safety is occupied by Deebo's Corner route so red is not a factor. In this pic, Jimmy has to sidestep the pressure by Vea.

When Coleman flashes in front of the LBs, Coleman pulls them forward for the vertical stretch, which is supposed to make the passing window to Bourne's Post clearer. Jimmy is in the throwing motion here targeting Kittle. He had a better window to Bourne, directly in the middle of the field. If he forces Bourne to flatten his route by throwing into open space, I think there's a chance for a good gain.

Incomplete to Kittle.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
damn. my dude bourne would've had a TD.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

They were top5 offense last season. I believe they were #1 in passing yards. A lot was probably Fitz though lol

Winston Started 9 of the games last year for them. He led them in Yards and Tds due to starting 2 more games. He was at 65%, 272 ypg with a QB rate of 90. Fitz was 66%, 295ypg with a QB rate of 100. Fitz was better but Winston wasn't terrible. Had winston started all 16 he was on pace for almost 4400 yards and 32 Tds.
Originally posted by Niners816:

Winston Started 9 of the games last year for them. He led them in Yards and Tds due to starting 2 more games. He was at 65%, 272 ypg with a QB rate of 90. Fitz was 66%, 295ypg with a QB rate of 100. Fitz was better but Winston wasn't terrible. Had winston started all 16 he was on pace for almost 4400 yards and 32 Tds.

Fitz started the year and he was looking like a hof his first couple of games lol. He was over 400 yards. Then he went back to looking like Fitzpatrick. Winston had a couple of good games, but a bunch of 200 yard passing games, and D Jackson was fed up with his poor play too. Plus, hes not here this year. This wasnt a top passing offense. Middle if the pack is about right.
  • thl408
This is the play where Jimmy misfired when targeting Bourne, then when they lined up for a field goal, the cameras showed Kyle talking to Jimmy, not looking happy.
2Q 3rd & 13
This play is a deviation/spinoff of the "Hank" concept (shown at end of post). The read for Jimmy is inside-out. So he starts with yellow route as the first read, then progresses left or right, then high to low. So for example, yellow - red - orange. Bucs are in Quarters coverage.

Jimmy takes a rather quick dropback and looks to Kittle, but Kittle has yet to clear past the LBs, he's not open. Bourne stems his release outside to get the CB backpeddling and widening away from the middle of the field.

Jimmy is mid throwing motion. The red star is where Jimmy is throwing to, but Bourne is breaking to the Post. If Bourne runs a Curl, this throw has a chance to be completed. Not sure what's supposed to happen - if Bourne is supposed to make a leverage read then sight adjust, or what.

The CB actually gets his hand on the ball. Some sort of miscommunication.

Hank:
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerGM:
It would seem there's still a trust factor between Jimmy and the WRs that need to be developed (again). He definitely trusts Kittle, but there's hesitation with all the WRs IMHO.

IT'LL COME.. the fact that we have the young guys and his injury last year has set this back ... if we stay healthy, and the kids start to get more playing time, watch thing thing GO!!

Originally posted by Niners816:

Fitz started the year and he was looking like a hof his first couple of games lol. He was over 400 yards. Then he went back to looking like Fitzpatrick. Winston had a couple of good games, but a bunch of 200 yard passing games, and D Jackson was fed up with his poor play too. Plus, hes not here this year. This wasnt a top passing offense. Middle if the pack is about right.

That 272 ypg I quoted is kinda off.....It features games in which he didn't start or played on a part of it so it skews down his actual production. Long story short TB was really good last year in terms of Passing yards. Games in which Fitz started featured 347 ypg....Games with Winston as starter were 300 ypg. In total they were Number 1 overall and Fitz's number easily paced the league. Winston's 300 ypg would have been number 4 in the league if you projected over 16 games.
  • thl408
This is the scramble that got called back with McG getting flagged for holding. Jimmy took one deep shot to Bourne earlier in the game and it drew a DPI. Here they dial up another shot play.
Mills concept vs Fire Zone blitz (5 rush, 3 deep, 3 underneath). The CB to the single WR side (Deebo) is locked in man coverage. This is a vertical stretch to the middle deep safety. 49ers keep in 7 to block, so they are looking to go deep here.

James has to get past the LBs then break across the middle. It's important that he gets far downfield enough, past the LBs, so that he can flash in front of the middle deep safety to bait that safety forward. That's the only way the vertical stretch will work. Blues are underneath, blacks are deep zones. Breida picks up the blitz but it's a tight pocket and Jimmy looks to evade.

Because James breaks his route in front of the LBs and not behind the LBs, he can't influence the middle deep safety. Jimmy finds lots of room and takes the "sure thing" scramble for a first down. Called back due to holding. Goodwin shows his speed and the CB on him actually stumbles trying to keep up. There was a chance even with the middle deep safety there.

This is what Mills is supposed to look like. Notice the slot WR breaks his route behind the LBs to bait the safety, to allow the Post to work. In this play, it's a different coverage, but the idea is the same - vertical stretch on the safety.
Richie James was in a tough spot on the Bucs play because the LBs had depth. Maybe due to timing, James had to break his route at a certain distance no matter where the LBs are. Only the players know.
Dr Originally posted by thl408:
This is the play where Jimmy misfired when targeting Bourne, then when they lined up for a field goal, the cameras showed Kyle talking to Jimmy, not looking happy.
2Q 3rd & 13
This play is a deviation/spinoff of the "Hank" concept (shown at end of post). The read for Jimmy is inside-out. So he starts with yellow route as the first read, then progresses left or right, then high to low. So for example, yellow - red - orange. Bucs are in Quarters coverage.

Jimmy takes a rather quick dropback and looks to Kittle, but Kittle has yet to clear past the LBs, he's not open. Bourne stems his release outside to get the CB backpeddling and widening away from the middle of the field.

Jimmy is mid throwing motion. The red star is where Jimmy is throwing to, but Bourne is breaking to the Post. If Bourne runs a Curl, this throw has a chance to be completed. Not sure what's supposed to happen - if Bourne is supposed to make a leverage read then sight adjust, or what.

Hank:

I am wondering if that throw has more to do with the safety breaking towards Bourne. If the ball is placed so Bourne can catch it it looks like a possible pick six.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Dr Originally posted by thl408:
2Q 3rd & 13

Hank:

I am wondering if that throw has more to do with the safety breaking towards Bourne. If the ball is placed so Bourne can catch it it looks like a possible pick six.

Yeah if Jimmy places that ball to the inside as if he's leading Bourne to the Post, it's picked off. That's why it looks like Jimmy was throwing that as if he expected Bourne to Curl, not break to the Post.
Originally posted by thl408:
Yeah if Jimmy places that ball to the inside as if he's leading Bourne to the Post, it's picked off. That's why it looks like Jimmy was throwing that as if he expected Bourne to Curl, not break to the Post.

What I like about Kyle's offense is you really can gets a lot of clues from his dad's scheme. Here's elder Shanny's Hank:

It looks as if there's a man/zone read avail on the curls.
Share 49ersWebzone