There are 157 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought week 12 is the preview lol
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Broheems and sisteems, what a great game to watch. Absolute dominance in all phases of the game. This team is showing it can beat anyone and everyone we might face going forward.
The packers? I do not fear them.

Thanks Jonny. Your videos have always been an instant click for me, and you have really come into your own. You latest submissions are very polished and professional. Just wanted to mention that if you enjoyed the video here, to go like it within the Youtube page. There doesn't appear to be a way to acknowledge that in the linked version here.
  • thl408
Good stuff as always, jd.
The interior guys for the 49ers, on both sides of the ball, played a great game. The DTs were giving up no ground defending the run. The interior OL was moving the Vikings DL. Some real old school football going on. This game showed that the 49ers are still capable of winning by pounding the rock. Although they had put up good rushing totals vs NO/BAL it seemed like they weren't dominant performances like how it was vs CAR. Juice had a good game blocking. Baldy did a nice video on how instrumental he was.

I charted all the runs to see how the 49ers attacked the MIN defense and this is what I got (RB runs only):
Outside Zone = 18 runs for 82 yards = 4.6 avg
Inside Zone = 10 runs for 39 yards = 3.9 avg
Gap/Man = 14 runs for 60 yards = 4.3 avg

yards gained per run:
OZ runs: 2,6,0,5,7,1,8,5,7,6,6,4,4,2,11,0,6,2
IZ runs: 2,3,5,4,6,7,6,0,2,4
Gap/Man: 4,10,3,4,1,2,11,2,3,8,4,5,1,2

42 runs by RBs and 25 of them went for 4 or more yards. I'll show some of my favorite runs.
Originally posted by thl408:
Good stuff as always, jd.
The interior guys for the 49ers, on both sides of the ball, played a great game. The DTs were giving up no ground defending the run. The interior OL was moving the Vikings DL. Some real old school football going on. This game showed that the 49ers are still capable of winning by pounding the rock. Although they had put up good rushing totals vs NO/BAL it seemed like they weren't dominant performances like how it was vs CAR. Juice had a good game blocking. Baldy did a nice video on how instrumental he was.

I charted all the runs to see how the 49ers attacked the MIN defense and this is what I got (RB runs only):
Outside Zone = 18 runs for 82 yards = 4.6 avg
Inside Zone = 10 runs for 39 yards = 3.9 avg
Gap/Man = 14 runs for 60 yards = 4.3 avg

yards gained per run:
OZ runs: 2,6,0,5,7,1,8,5,7,6,6,4,4,2,11,0,6,2
IZ runs: 2,3,5,4,6,7,6,0,2,4
Gap/Man: 4,10,3,4,1,2,11,2,3,8,4,5,1,2

42 runs by RBs and 25 of them went for 4 or more yards. I'll show some of my favorite runs.

The power-gap is what surprised me. I remember someone argued when I said I thought Shanny should add more power-gap vs SEA that, "Shanahan isn't going to change his scheme for one game" and I argued that it's been in the playbook since he's been here, it's just not bread and butter. I think that power-man really caught those DT's off-guard when we ran it cause more often than not, they were ready to move laterally and got pushed around pretty easily.

Like Shanny said in his presser, the only reason we didn't put up a game like CAR was because Minn's got some real talent at Safety that kept those runs from becoming explosive.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I thought week 12 is the preview lol

LOL, if only.
While I do think GB will be more efficient on offense I think we will be as well. When going back and watching, we were dominant, obviously, by the score but it felt like a game that we left a lot of meat on the table, as well.
  • thl408
This was the most creative run I saw. Although it didn't result in big yards, it was a blocking scheme I hadn't seen the 49ers use beforeand they only did it once in this game. I'm sure they've run it before but I missed it during the season.
It's like a triple trap play vs 4-3 Over. MIN played a lot of 4-3 Over in this game.
Reds move to the second level. Yellows trap block.

Check out the opposite flow of the OLmen. Reds look like it's outside zone. Yellows are going the opposite direction. What's a LB supposed to read?

McG over runs his block on #50 or else this goes for more yards. But you can see that every box defender has a hat on him and is sealed off from the playside.

Only +4, but a well drawn up run play. Not sure why they never went back to this during the game.
  • thl408
The power-gap is what surprised me. I remember someone argued when I said I thought Shanny should add more power-gap vs SEA that, "Shanahan isn't going to change his scheme for one game" and I argued that it's been in the playbook since he's been here, it's just not bread and butter. I think that power-man really caught those DT's off-guard when we ran it cause more often than not, they were ready to move laterally and got pushed around pretty easily.

Like Shanny said in his presser, the only reason we didn't put up a game like CAR was because Minn's got some real talent at Safety that kept those runs from becoming explosive.

Yes it's about keeping that DL off balance. I have it charted, the chronological sequence of runs. They never called the same blocking scheme more than three times in a row. There was only one stretch of run plays where they called three straight OZ runs, but that was it. Everything else was really mixed up.
Originally posted by braap49er:
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight:
What is your analyst of Jimmy G interception?

A pass he never should of thrown.

Bad decision. We didn't have anything to hold kendricks underneath and Jimmy thought he could squeeze it on over him

I really don't mind the slinging mentality. Jimmy completes so many throws where he threads it through a keyhole and more often than not it helps us win games!

Keep slinging it with no fear Jimmy!
This was the most creative run I saw. Although it didn't result in big yards, it was a blocking scheme I hadn't seen the 49ers use beforeand they only did it once in this game. I'm sure they've run it before but I missed it during the season.
It's like a triple trap play vs 4-3 Over. MIN played a lot of 4-3 Over in this game.

Check out the opposite flow of the OLmen. Reds look like it's outside zone. Yellows are going the opposite direction. What's a LB supposed to read?

McG over runs his block on #50 or else this goes for more yards. But you can see that every box defender has a hat on him and is sealed off from the playside.

Only +4, but a well drawn up run play. Not sure why they never went back to this during the game.

Such beautiful design!
  • thl408
This is my "step on your throat" play of the day. This was the 7th run of that drive where they ran it 8 straight times. At this point MIN is on their heels and the 49ers step on their throat with this play. MIN in a 4-3 Over front. In an Over front, the 3 tech is on the strong side of the OL so run defense is supposed to be strong to that side.
49ers don't care and call Power.

The big block here is Staley who doubles on the downblock of the 3t...

Person pulls to lead. Juice kicks out.

Then Staley moves to the second level to seal off the WILL. Person gets kind of caught up in the muck, but finds his block. Coleman just puts his shoulders down and powers ahead.

+11.

Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
I really don't mind the slinging mentality. Jimmy completes so many throws where he threads it through a keyhole and more often than not it helps us win games!

Keep slinging it with no fear Jimmy!

I like Jimmy's fearlessness too but he's fortunate the D was so dominant. Gave away a possession end of half in our end that could've resulted in a tie game. Nearly disaster. A few near picks other than that as well. I expect a cleaner game from him Sunday.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:

Such beautiful design!

Look at that synchronicity executing the triple trap.

It's poetic. An NFL RUN game -- poetic.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by braap49er:
Originally posted by ImAlwaysRight:
What is your analyst of Jimmy G interception?
A pass he never should of thrown.

Bad decision. We didn't have anything to hold kendricks underneath and Jimmy thought he could squeeze it on over him
yep, no vertical stretch

Yup. Here's that play. Versus Cover3, the Dig is open if the underneath defenders to that side of the field are occupied, and prevented from gaining depth - vertically stretched.
MIN trying to disguise, late to show their coverage with one safety lined up over Kittle, the other waiting for the snap to rotate to the middle of the field.

There's no playaction on this play, which usually helps hold the LBs near the LoS. That's fine, if there is a route to occupy the playside Hook (yellow, Kendricks). Juice runs to the flat so that will occupy the playside curl/flat defender. Mostert stays in to help pass block. So now yellow Hook is free to gain depth.

Had there been playaction, had Juice run up the middle at yellow, or had Mostert ran up the middle at Kendricks, maybe Kendricks wouldn't have gotten this deep on his zone drop and would be near the yellow star, which would free up the passing lane to Deebo.

Can't throw a Dig without putting that Hook defender in conflict.
Jimmy said in his press conference that he thought he could fit that over Kendricks and that he under threw it.
Originally posted by matguy87:
Jimmy said in his press conference that he thought he could fit that over Kendricks and that he under threw it.

Yeah, I saw that. Then Shanny said in his presser he thought it was a bad decision because there was no underneath route to affect the hook defender. I agree with Shanny.
You can see there was a window, albeit a tight one, but I don't think Shanahan wants to take that risk there. Jimmy is a confident guy and thinks he can get any ball into a tight window. Could he have? Maybe, but it still doesn't mean it was a good decision.

He really just needed to work the flat area on the other side of the field.
Share 49ersWebzone