There are 255 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Even though the game is over, it makes me angry watching this. As Sherman said after the game, this is DAY ONE, SIMPLE FUNDAMENTALS, that were missed. He didn't directly say Harris, but that's I'm sure who he was mainly referring to.

Right. There was no presnap jet motion eye candy. No misdirection. This is outside zone from an I formation. Harris probably sees this many times in practice during camp. It's one thing to do your assignment wrong, it's another to do the wrong assignment.

Agreed. If Harris stayed in his game, it would've been a minimal gain at best.

Why was Harris playing in the first place? Is Moore injured?

Yea I'd rather have Moore out there

Yea. I mean with Ward having the ability to play either position and how Moore did an admirable job filling in for Ward at the start of the season, I just didn't understand the decision.

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Moore too busy doing a fantastic
job covering the gunner on the fake punt

The injury question was a rhetorical one. I know Moore was out there and did a great job on the fake punt.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
The real question is whether Harris will learn from his mistakes and learn to execute his assignments. He is new to playing game snaps and it is a different pressure to practice squad snaps. The game against the Falcons will show if he has the ability to learn and adapt. If not he wont be around long.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
cutting together my defensive review: I'm covering the 1st 2 TD's - Thl I think I have an answer to that first play as I've watched it a few more times.
covering that run where spoon was pissed, covered the crucial 3rd and 6 that set them up for their 4th TD, the big Thomas catch and run - which has a horrible missed call.
The crucial 3rd and 5 where we got flagged for PI - ST was held really badly on the play and should've been a sack or off-setting penalties and the final TD - the blitz execution was turrible.

I see it.
  • thl408
All season long the 49ers defense has bailed out the offense after a turnover. Multiple times they've held the opposing offense to field goals as damage control. In this game, it was no different.
3Q 2nd & 7
After the interception to start the 3Q, the 49er defense was on its heels. Saleh presses the issue and will dial up a pressure. With the Saints in an empty backfield, blitz pickup falls on the 5 OLmen with no help from a RB/TE. Cover 1 blitz (5 man pressure, man coverage)

49ers will run an overload blitz to the OL's left while dropping AA into coverage. Reds are the rushers.

Saints slide protection to the left which is the correct thing to do since Greenlaw is blitzing. What they don't account for is Warner also blitzing and AA not rushing.

The RG is caught in a bind and Warner comes in untouched.

Very nifty of Brees to avoid the sack. Incomplete.
On the george kittle td, Juice was held and hugged but not call as well.
  • thl408
This is the following 3rd down where the 49ers force the Saints to kick a long field goal.
49ers again dial up pressure, Cover 1 blitz vs Curl/flat concept

Buckner and AA slant and they bring Warner on a loop between the RG and RT.

Spoon versus Ginn. As Ginn gets into his route, he runs directly as Spoon. A WR running a Curl against a CB playing with a cushion wants to threaten vertical to get the CB's hips turned so that when the WR curls, the CB has to stop his back peddle and come forward. Not easy to defend if the QB throws with timing and anticipation. Spoon is incredibly patient and does not even begin to turn his hips.

When Ginn starts to break down, Spoon knows what's coming and jumps the Curl. In this pic, you can see Spoon has not turned his hips at all. He is squatting on this route. Whether he knows the play through film study or he is reading Brees' dropback, I can't tell. What I know is Spoon was never threatened vertically.

The lane that Warner has to run through is schemed to perfection.

This play shows confidence from Spoon. Whether it's confidence in the pressure affecting the QB so he knows he doesn't have to cover long, or confidence in his own ability to not be threatened by Ginn, it doesn't matter. In year's past, Spoon was so scared of getting beat deep that he either starts to back peddle hard, or he turns his hips upfield - either of which would not have allowed Spoon to make this play.

.be
Meant to have this up last night but was having computer issues and had to let my laptop slowly die as none of the buttons were responding. We're all good this AM
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
.be
Meant to have this up last night but was having computer issues and had to let my laptop slowly die as none of the buttons were responding. We're all good this AM

Thanks, jonny.
Great stuff here as usual guys!

Have you guys seen the All-22 breakdown of this game by JT O'Sullivan?
He says a lot of the same things about Jimmy G as Johnny and thl408 have been saying for a long time... He loves Jimmy's footwork and movement in the pocket. It's nice to hear former quarterbacks impressed by Jimmy.
  • thl408
I forgot to show these two plays as they were very interesting watching it live. I knew the 49ers were trying to take big shots but the telecast never showed what was going on deep downfield. What made these plays interesting was the game situation when they happened. So to set the scene, it's late 3Q with the 49ers leading 35-33. The Saints just had a 10 play field goal drive.

49er run game is doing fine, but they just lost Richburg on their previous drive. Kyle said in his post game presser that ideally he'd like to go on long scoring drives to control the clock, but I call bs. I think Kyle was trying to score 100 points in this game.
1st & 10
Breida aligns out wide with a LB over him for a presnap read of man coverage. Saints are in Cover 1.

Breida motions into the backfield. 49ers will leak two routes out from a tight run formation, first using playaction. We've seen this play multiple times before. 49ers are trying to horizontally stretch the deep safety.

With how often the 49ers align their WRs tight to the formation, and ask them to be a big part of the run game, Deebo starts off blocking for outside zone. Yellow is the CB (Lattimore) covering Deebo.

When Lattimore realizes it's a playaction, he is immediately behind the play. All that has to happen now is for Jimmy to see which route the deep blue safety helps on, Dwelley or Deebo - and some good pass protection.

Back to the snap. 49ers are selling outside zone. They are asking for Garland (63) to help on the 0tech, allow Tomlinson to take over, then peel off and block any backside pursuit since Deebo isn't really blocking. Deebo needs to get into his route.

Garland peels off and looks backside. The 0t is now for Tomlinson to handle.

The 0t with a very athletic move here dipping the shoulder to get underneath Tomlinson's block. That 0t is going to blow up this play.

With the middle deep safety opting to help on Dwelley, Deebo has the entire right side of the field to work. Jimmy getting clobbered by the 0t, but he was letting it rip with Deebo getting loose.

The pass falls incomplete.

Very aggressive playcall to open the drive.

• thl408
2nd & 10. The very next play. Kyle saw that he was close to hitting that big play. Let's try another one.
Same idea on this play. Playaction then try to horizontally stretch the middle deep safety by running Scissors in the deep middle of the field. Saints in Cover 1.

After playaction, Jimmy turns around to see this. Sanders and Deebo both release up the field.

Jimmy first looks to his left to get the blue deep safety leaning. McG gets thrown aside.

Blue deep safety goes with Sanders, the throw should go to Deebo, but Jimmy is getting sacked.

Similar to the previous play, Deebo again had room to work, but the pass protection can't hold up long enough for this long developing play.

Sacked for -10. Watching these two plays live, I thought Kyle went ultra aggressive and wanted to know if the playcall was good. I think they were since it got a WR open, but pass protection wasn't able to allow Jimmy the time to make these two throws.
I enjoyed this breakdown, and thought this was a good place to put it.

.be

Great video jonny. I am glad you pointed out the egregious block in the back on the big Thomas pass play. No excuse to miss that as you said, since it happened literally where Thomas just caught the ball, no more than 3' from him. NFL reffing is just horrible.
Originally posted by mayo49:
.be

Thanks, jonny.

.be

On the Sherman injury, Moseley was already in the game at nickel when K'won went down. Then Reed was sent in to play nickel but didn't tell Moseley, so both of them covered the nickel's responsibility.
Share 49ersWebzone