LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 272 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
I'll get to the two key plays that had the 49ers holding the Saints to a field goal after the interception in the 3Q. Saleh dialed up some good pressures.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by FeelLicks:
I'm actually more interested in how our defense got gashed. Was it our rookie linebackers and backup safety getting exploited?

a few things - I'll make a video on that too. But, Brees was giving a master class on moving zone defenders with his eyes, we gave a ton of respect to Michael Thomas - whis is one reason he went off late in the game after we had stopped NO on like 4 straight drives. poor tackling, and missing basic defensive stuff, and Marcel Harris played really, really poorly.

does that worry you going forward until we get Tartt back?

No, because Payton and Brees are masters at attacking a weakness and Harris was probably a bit amped up being in the dome, on the road for 2 weeks, playoff atmosphere, all that.
I expect the defensive side and the coaches to get him squared away. He just needed to settle down and do his job. He was trying to do other people's job too many times.

Harris was a liability in this game. I'd like to see TMoore in there in place of Harris because I think he's more likely to have a future on the team as opposed to Harris.
Yes to the bolded. Kamara was bottled up most of the day in the run game. The one run he had for 17 yards, that was on Harris for trying to do too much.

I was a little surprised too that they didn't yank him. Did you see the terrible run fit he had that set up NO's 3rd TD, I think. He had the C gap, Witherspoon has outside contain and the RB cut outside after Harris initially started to fill, Spoon had him all the way, Harris tries to follow outside and gives up the C gap so the RB cuts it up and gains 8 yards to set them up near the goal line. After the play you can see Spoon get up pissed and yelling at Harris that Harris filled his role and let the RB get a lane.

Oh man that was cringy the way Spoon clapped at him. To be honest Harris deserved it. "Just do your job", don't do someone else's, leave that to them.

do you have a gif of that??? really dont know how id be able to see it
Marcel Harris had a rough game starting with the missed tackled on the Saints first TD. He also had some other plays where he wasn't executing his assignment. It's understandable being his first live action versus a good offense, but some things are not excusable, like this play.
This view to show the box defenders. In a wide9 alignment, the in the box safety is often a C gap player.

Possible run fits shown. Harris has the strongside C gap. Saints running outside zone left.

Harris has a jump on the play and is aggressive flowing to his right, but in doing so vacates his gap.

+17. Kamara with good vision sees the lane and exploits it for the 'real' longest Saints run of the day. (The actual longest, +18, was on the final play of the first half where the 49ers were in prevent defense).

Glad you pointed that one put, I was gonna include that in a video later today
On the saints last touchdown I have convinced my self that the call came in has turnover or touchdown. As I am watching the play it just seems that we were not trying to tackle.

I know all game missed tackles were a problem but on that play it seemed different. Looks to me like we wanted to get the ball back with time on the clock to do something.

If Fred makes the initial tackle saints still take the lead but we are left with little or no time left and most likely loose.
Originally posted by spraked:
On the saints last touchdown I have convinced my self that the call came in has turnover or touchdown. As I am watching the play it just seems that we were not trying to tackle.

I know all game missed tackles were a problem but on that play it seemed different. Looks to me like we wanted to get the ball back with time on the clock to do something.

If Fred makes the initial tackle saints still take the lead but we are left with little or no time left and most likely loose.

That was my exact thought at that moment during the live broadcast. I was yelling at my tv telling Shanahan to just let them score because we will get the ball back with 3 timeouts and plenty of clock left to kick a game winning fg. He must have heard me.
Marcel Harris had a rough game starting with the missed tackled on the Saints first TD. He also had some other plays where he wasn't executing his assignment. It's understandable being his first live action versus a good offense, but some things are not excusable, like this play.
This view to show the box defenders. In a wide9 alignment, the in the box safety is often a C gap player.

Possible run fits shown. Harris has the strongside C gap. Saints running outside zone left.

Harris has a jump on the play and is aggressive flowing to his right, but in doing so vacates his gap.

+17. Kamara with good vision sees the lane and exploits it for the 'real' longest Saints run of the day. (The actual longest, +18, was on the final play of the first half where the 49ers were in prevent defense).

I can see Spoon tries to make that tackle if Harris ran himself out and Ward missed the tackle. Then people will s**t on Spoon for soft on tackling lol

Spoon actually had to clean up for them a few times
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Dec 12, 2019 at 9:18 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

I can see Spoon tries to make that tackle if Harris ran himself out and Ward missed the tackle. Then people will s**t on Spoon for soft on tackling lol

Spoon actually had to clean up for them a few times

Even though the game is over, it makes me angry watching this. As Sherman said after the game, this is DAY ONE, SIMPLE FUNDAMENTALS, that were missed. He didn't directly say Harris, but that's I'm sure who he was mainly referring to.
  • thl408
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by FeelLicks:
I'm actually more interested in how our defense got gashed. Was it our rookie linebackers and backup safety getting exploited?

a few things - I'll make a video on that too. But, Brees was giving a master class on moving zone defenders with his eyes, we gave a ton of respect to Michael Thomas - whis is one reason he went off late in the game after we had stopped NO on like 4 straight drives. poor tackling, and missing basic defensive stuff, and Marcel Harris played really, really poorly.

does that worry you going forward until we get Tartt back?

No, because Payton and Brees are masters at attacking a weakness and Harris was probably a bit amped up being in the dome, on the road for 2 weeks, playoff atmosphere, all that.
I expect the defensive side and the coaches to get him squared away. He just needed to settle down and do his job. He was trying to do other people's job too many times.

Harris was a liability in this game. I'd like to see TMoore in there in place of Harris because I think he's more likely to have a future on the team as opposed to Harris.
Yes to the bolded. Kamara was bottled up most of the day in the run game. The one run he had for 17 yards, that was on Harris for trying to do too much.

I was a little surprised too that they didn't yank him. Did you see the terrible run fit he had that set up NO's 3rd TD, I think. He had the C gap, Witherspoon has outside contain and the RB cut outside after Harris initially started to fill, Spoon had him all the way, Harris tries to follow outside and gives up the C gap so the RB cuts it up and gains 8 yards to set them up near the goal line. After the play you can see Spoon get up pissed and yelling at Harris that Harris filled his role and let the RB get a lane.
Here's that play. 1Q 2nd & 1
Possible run fits. The important thing here is that Spoon is the force player, and has outside contain - that is Spoon's job on this play. Harris has the C gap. Saints running inside zone.

The play starts off and Harris attacks his C gap. So far so good.

Harris sees that the RB wants to bounce it outside.

Harris jumps outside to get the RB, but this is Spoon's job.

The RB sees it and runs it back up inside. +7

Spoon is not pleased. At this point in the game, this is the Saint's third drive and they are slicing through the 49ers defense like a hot knife through butter. In the run game especially, trying to do other people's jobs usually leads to bad things.
  • thl408
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Even though the game is over, it makes me angry watching this. As Sherman said after the game, this is DAY ONE, SIMPLE FUNDAMENTALS, that were missed. He didn't directly say Harris, but that's I'm sure who he was mainly referring to.

Right. There was no presnap jet motion eye candy. No misdirection. This is outside zone from an I formation. Harris probably sees this many times in practice during camp. It's one thing to do your assignment wrong, it's another to do the wrong assignment.

Right. There was no presnap jet motion eye candy. No misdirection. This is outside zone from an I formation. Harris probably sees this many times in practice during camp. It's one thing to do your assignment wrong, it's another to do the wrong assignment.

Agreed. If Harris stayed in his game, it would've been a minimal gain at best.

Why was Harris playing in the first place? Is Moore injured?
Man these breakdowns are the truth. One person can just ruin a play.
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:

Moore too busy doing a fantastic
job covering the gunner on the fake punt
cutting together my defensive review: I'm covering the 1st 2 TD's - Thl I think I have an answer to that first play as I've watched it a few more times.
covering that run where spoon was pissed, covered the crucial 3rd and 6 that set them up for their 4th TD, the big Thomas catch and run - which has a horrible missed call.
The crucial 3rd and 5 where we got flagged for PI - ST was held really badly on the play and should've been a sack or off-setting penalties and the final TD - the blitz execution was turrible.
Originally posted by BigBossBosa97:

Yea I'd rather have Moore out there
Share 49ersWebzone