There are 211 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by FeelLicks:
I'm actually more interested in how our defense got gashed. Was it our rookie linebackers and backup safety getting exploited?

a few things - I'll make a video on that too. But, Brees was giving a master class on moving zone defenders with his eyes, we gave a ton of respect to Michael Thomas - whis is one reason he went off late in the game after we had stopped NO on like 4 straight drives. poor tackling, and missing basic defensive stuff, and Marcel Harris played really, really poorly.
Originally posted by thl408:
The throw to Deebo with a defender right in his face @8:45. Hot damn that's a nice throw.
NO dialed up a good variety of coverages and none of them worked. I think teams are doing Jimmy a favor blitzing him, and they are doing Kyle a favor playing zone. Bunch of the throws you highlighted, fire zone blitzes.
I didn't know that defender covering Kittle on 4th & 2 was a rookie. That's a bad coaching decision. Very good video jd.

Yeah, I didn't either until when I was looking at that play I looked up who was covering him so I'd get it right on the video. Saw on NO's site, "S, rookie" I went, "wait....what!?!" LOL.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be
I'm sorry I don't have as much time these days to put into the write-ups. Just got too many irons in the fire this time of year, but most of what I'd say will be in the intro's of the videos.
This one is the man we all want to be and all the ladies want to be with, Jimmy G.

Thanks for the review, jonny - good stuff.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 11, 2019 at 1:24 AM ]
Jimmy is the way, the truth and the life.
Originally posted by frenchmov:
.be
I'm sorry I don't have as much time these days to put into the write-ups. Just got too many irons in the fire this time of year, but most of what I'd say will be in the intro's of the videos.
This one is the man we all want to be and all the ladies want to be with, Jimmy G.

Great as usual! Thank you!

Great video, thanks so much!
.be

This is the way.
I'm actually more interested in how our defense got gashed. Was it our rookie linebackers and backup safety getting exploited?

a few things - I'll make a video on that too. But, Brees was giving a master class on moving zone defenders with his eyes, we gave a ton of respect to Michael Thomas - whis is one reason he went off late in the game after we had stopped NO on like 4 straight drives. poor tackling, and missing basic defensive stuff, and Marcel Harris played really, really poorly.

does that worry you going forward until we get Tartt back?
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

No, because Payton and Brees are masters at attacking a weakness and Harris was probably a bit amped up being in the dome, on the road for 2 weeks, playoff atmosphere, all that.
I expect the defensive side and the coaches to get him squared away. He just needed to settle down and do his job. He was trying to do other people's job too many times.

No, because Payton and Brees are masters at attacking a weakness and Harris was probably a bit amped up being in the dome, on the road for 2 weeks, playoff atmosphere, all that.
I expect the defensive side and the coaches to get him squared away. He just needed to settle down and do his job. He was trying to do other people's job too many times.

but what about the linebackers not getting enough depth in their zones? is that a bit of a concern at all? or just a severe product of Brees, and Payton as well?
  • thl408

Harris was a liability in this game. I'd like to see TMoore in there in place of Harris because I think he's more likely to have a future on the team as opposed to Harris.
Yes to the bolded. Kamara was bottled up most of the day in the run game. The one run he had for 17 yards, that was on Harris for trying to do too much.

but what about the linebackers not getting enough depth in their zones? is that a bit of a concern at all? or just a severe product of Brees, and Payton as well?

That was a product of being so hyper focused on Michael Thomas. At halftime they made adjustments there. at 9 minutes left in the game was when the Saints offense started doing some more things. Before then they had a FG off a 3 play drive after the INT, they got a FG after a successful 4th down conversion when Taysom Hill ran over Greenlaw, and then their next TD came after a bogus holding call on Sherm when we sacked Brees. 2 plays later they hit the huge pass to Michael Thomas and Sherm got plowed in the back. One of the worst non-calls I've ever seen. About as bad as the non-call in the NFCCG last year. That play broke their offense open in the 4th quarter. It should've been a 10 yard gain when it was all said and done after the penalty instead of a 49 yard gain.

Harris was a liability in this game. I'd like to see TMoore in there in place of Harris because I think he's more likely to have a future on the team as opposed to Harris.
Yes to the bolded. Kamara was bottled up most of the day in the run game. The one run he had for 17 yards, that was on Harris for trying to do too much.

I was a little surprised too that they didn't yank him. Did you see the terrible run fit he had that set up NO's 3rd TD, I think. He had the C gap, Witherspoon has outside contain and the RB cut outside after Harris initially started to fill, Spoon had him all the way, Harris tries to follow outside and gives up the C gap so the RB cuts it up and gains 8 yards to set them up near the goal line. After the play you can see Spoon get up pissed and yelling at Harris that Harris filled his role and let the RB get a lane.

I was a little surprised too that they didn't yank him. Did you see the terrible run fit he had that set up NO's 3rd TD, I think. He had the C gap, Witherspoon has outside contain and the RB cut outside after Harris initially started to fill, Spoon had him all the way, Harris tries to follow outside and gives up the C gap so the RB cuts it up and gains 8 yards to set them up near the goal line. After the play you can see Spoon get up pissed and yelling at Harris that Harris filled his role and let the RB get a lane.

What's your reading of Cook's 2nd TD? Was that Ward's mistake or trying to do too much or was it Azeez Al-Shaair not getting enough depth on his drop?

What's your reading of Cook's 2nd TD? Was that Ward's mistake or trying to do too much or was it Azeez Al-Shaair not getting enough depth on his drop?

I think Ward gets confused or doesn't hear the shift in the call.
The Saints had a late motion and it looks like Harris turns and calls it out because the way it's played, it looks like both Harris and Ward think they're the deep middle safety.
Azeez is guarding the curl/flat there and warner the backside hook/curl and there's no strong side hook/curl - that tells me that we had a buzz call that should've changed with the strength and everyone saw it but Ward, he should've matched Cook's route.
[ Edited by jonnydel on Dec 11, 2019 at 2:36 PM ]
  • thl408

I think Ward gets confused or doesn't hear the shift in the call.
The Saints had a late motion and it looks like Harris turns and calls it out because the way it's played, it looks like both Harris and Ward think they're the deep middle safety.
Azeez is guarding the curl/flat there and warner the backside hook/curl and there's no strong side hook/curl - that tells me that we had a buzz call that should've changed with the strength and everyone saw it but Ward, he should've matched Cook's route.

Yes I think it was a blown coverage too, because of the missing strong hook/curl. Had Ward rotated down to the strong hook/curl, he sees Cooks' route and easily covers it.

On the first Cooks' TD, was Warner supposed to match it (weakside Hook matches deep Over route)? He looks over to see the route but never reacts to it until the pass is thrown.
Share 49ersWebzone