There are 170 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
De-fense! I'm glad you hit on the 3rd & 13 where Ward broke up the pass, and how the coverage was disguised. I have a bit of a different interpretation of that play. I think Rodgers recognized Cover3, but because Ward rotated down into the weakside Hook, he was able to take away the backside Dig. Cover3 is vulnerable to that backside Dig, but one way to defend that Dig is to rotate the weak side safety down to the weak side Hook. That way he sees the pass and the route. Rodgers is lucky that pass wasn't INTed. Good stuff jd.

edit: nm I saw that play wrong. Backside route was a curl.
[ Edited by thl408 on Nov 26, 2019 at 9:35 PM ]
Nice! I thought when watching the game, Rodgers had on occasions time to throw despite the mauling, but he didn't pull the trigger like he normally would.

Your vid shows why. Awsome.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 26, 2019 at 7:21 PM ]
Great job as always JD
Very nice. Appreciate the work JD!
Anyone that doesn't like him on his YouTube channel should be eaten alive by squirrels.
Originally posted by frozen49er:
Anyone that doesn't like him on his YouTube channel should be eaten alive by squirrels.

I'm a subscriber!!!

😂😂
Originally posted by thl408:
De-fense! I'm glad you hit on the 3rd & 13 where Ward broke up the pass, and how the coverage was disguised. I have a bit of a different interpretation of that play. I think Rodgers recognized Cover3, but because Ward rotated down into the weakside Hook, he was able to take away the backside Dig. Cover3 is vulnerable to that backside Dig, but one way to defend that Dig is to rotate the weak side safety down to the weak side Hook. That way he sees the pass and the route. Rodgers is lucky that pass wasn't INTed. Good stuff jd.

Thanks JD...what a massive surprise. I believe this game was officially over at 2: 12 into the first qtr. We kick off, and 2nd play AR 12 is mauled , stripped, and we recover on the 4 or whatever yard line. Next play we score and 2:12 has come off the clock. They had some unusual closeups (and lots of them) of AR and he had massive double rings under his eyes.

He looked like he'd been on an all nite binder, and that that 1000 mile stare that many of us have seen. Different context of course, but he did have the look. It also looked like he was beat every time he went on the field. AR is an all pro , and has seen everything . He will be headed to Canton when he hangs 'em up. Thing is after this game....and really after the first 3 plays....his body language saiid , "man when will this be over". I suspect the way our Magnicicent 7 perfromed had a lot to do with that, and how many' sacks? 4 ? 5? Then there was the strip sack ....maybe another strip sack....and his body said it all. "We're getting killed out here".
Most impressive was Kyle's setup for Kittle's TD pass on the boot... Kyle patiently hammered away at the OZ up to that point with little to show for it, as well as with the boot although he had some marginal success with that... then came the counter oft the counter, Kittle's Corner Post off OZ boot action!

It was a lovely play, all setup by first establishing OZ, then the boot off the OZ (actually setup all season thus far)... the fudge packers were in quarters coverage and the playside safety ran like crazy to slam down on the receivers running across the field to cover the boot vertical stretch concept...

Kittle ran his his corner post, ran a decent route but not exceptional, and was more than wide open... Jimmy G was outstanding at looking off the entire coverage, and then in an instant and the right time swung playside to Kittle, Jimmy saw he was wide open and set him down just a little to ensure making the completion which was perfect... what was impressive was Clown Kittle's maniac you-can't-bring-me-down running style after the catch.

Classic Kyle.

Hope you post the screen shots for this clinic play.

[ Edited by riverrunzthruit on Nov 26, 2019 at 9:18 PM ]
Love your breakdowns!

• thl408
The defense was the star of this game. jd said it well on how they did it, by giving Rodgers many looks so that the adjustment from presnap read to actual coverage made him hesitate enough to think more than once. When the coverage was supposed to be beat, the pass rush came through. And vice versa.

1Q 1st & 10. This is the play Bosa got juked and all the telecast talked about was Bosa getting tricked. 49ers line up with these run fits.

WR goes in motion towards the other side of the formation. All the LBs change gaps as Ward comes down to get in the run fit as a curl/flat defender, part of 8 in the box. This is so that Mosely can back off the LoS (no longer in run fit) to account for the new speed threat to his side, the WR in motion. Azeez Al-Shaair, #51, is now a hook defender due to all this shifting. GB running a three level flood with bootaction.

Run fits after the WR went in motion.

Playaction does not fool the two Hook defenders, Azeez and Warner.

Azeez as a weakside Hook defender in Cover3 is assigned to cover any intermediate crossers from the strongside. He has his head on a swivel and sees the Crosser. Many LBs playing this assignment in Cover3 see this, but not enough LBs see it quickly to actually cover the route well.

Azeez, a rookie, having a good understanding of the checks in the defense and able to adjust quickly postsnap. Rodgers fools Bosa but can't find any WR to target - coverage bailing out pass rush. Rodgers had time and got a measly 4 yard scramble out of this precious time that he had so little of in this game.

^This.
  • thl408
2Q 1st & 10. Here's another play where Rodgers had time to throw but couldn't pull the trigger.
GB will test Sherman on a hitch and go.

Hard playaction, Sherman plays cautiously with a large cushion on DAdams.

When Adams fakes the hitch, Sherman is soft over the top and doesn't fall for the fake hitch. Rodgers looking at Adams, can't target him.

Adams then curls his route as an adjustment since he can't beat Sherman deep due to Sherman's over the top positioning. Rodgers then moves to the backside Dig, that has room to work. But for some reason Rodgers doesn't let it rip.

Same moment as above. Rodgers is looking directly at the Dig.

When Rodgers escapes the pocket, it causes the LT to commit a hold on Bosa. All that precious pocket time and it results in an offensive holding penalty.
Originally posted by thl408:
2Q 1st & 10. Here's another play where Rodgers had time to throw but couldn't pull the trigger.
GB will test Sherman on a hitch and go.

Hard playaction, Sherman plays cautiously with a large cushion on DAdams.

When Adams fakes the hitch, Sherman is soft over the top and doesn't fall for the fake hitch. Rodgers looking at Adams, can't target him.

Adams then curls his route as an adjustment since he can't beat Sherman deep due to Sherman's over the top positioning. Rodgers then moves to the backside Dig, that has room to work. But for some reason Rodgers doesn't let it rip.

Same moment as above. Rodgers is looking directly at the Dig.

When Rodgers escapes the pocket, it causes the LT to commit a hold on Bosa. All that precious pocket time and it results in an offensive holding penalty.

The only thing I can see from him not letting it rip is that he prolly has to follow through on his throw to make that throw, but at the last second where rodger sees the open man, buckner is coming into his face and he decides not to throw it. Also a side note it seems bosa got juked by the run fake again lol...he needs to fix those against baltimore.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Nov 27, 2019 at 12:02 AM ]
  • thl408
Having Kittle back meant the middle of the field was now a prime area to attack. While Dwelley filled in admirably, he isn't the same threat in terms of attacking the intermediate/deep areas of the field in the passing game. It showed when Dwelley would try to run the intermediate crossing routes and got little to no separation.
2Q 1st & 10 (the WR at the top is actually RJames, not Deebo)
49ers in 22 personnel (2rb/2te/1wr) will run the intermediate crosser with Kittle while James clears the sideline. Celek will sneak across the formation to give an option on a misdirection throwback. GB is in a Cover3 pattern match

The playaction on outside zone holds the blue CB as Kittle release clean off the line. On the other side, Celek tries to sneak across unnoticed but the curl/flat defender to that side matches Celek in man coverage.

Because blue CB staysed in a position to play contain on a possible outside zone run, he gives up inside leverage to Kittle. So when blue CB decides to match Kittle, he is far behind Kittle. Jimmy is now reading the red deep safety on a vertical stretch. If red jumps the crossing route by Kittle, then target RJames (I accidentally labeled him as Deebo) on the deep Post. If red defends the Post by Richie James, then target Kittle.

As soon as red safety turns to run with RJames, Jimmy targets Kittle. With the playside curl/flat defender matching Celek's route, there is no longer a curl/flat defender to the side of the field Kittle is running to. +22
Share 49ersWebzone