SPIDER 2X BANANA!

Didn't throw the Venus.....BECAUSE YOU NEVER THROW THE VENUS on Spider Banana
Originally posted by jonnydel:

Some things covered in this video:
Spider 2 X-Banana(I love this play!!!!)
Jimmy's 3rd TD
Jimmy's footwork
the final INT

This Spider 2 Banana is like a supercharged version......I love how the drag from the slot not only runs interference with Juice's guy but it also becomes a mesh with the Dwelly route.
  • thl408
jonnyd, dunno if you are going to get to the defense, but this play stood out to me and was an important play in the first half. Your thoughts?
2Q 3rd & 10
I think the 49ers are in Quarters here. Moseley in press alignment (press Quarters is a new look for this defense). This play unfolds very oddly.

Moseley playing man coverage on the #1. Ward, I think, is in Quarters. With no vertical threat from a #2, Ward should be looking to help Moseley bracket the #1. You can see Ward facing the #1 here.

This is where it gets weird. The #1 Curls. Moseley abandons his coverage of #1, opting to cover a phantom Post route that isn't happening. The #1 is running a Curl, close enough to being an in breaking route where Ward needs to come down and double the #1.

If they are in Quarters on that side of the field, Ward needs to be flat footed and stay shallow to help cover any in breaking routes from the #1, which is exactly what happens. What is Moseley doing? Caught for 9 yards. ARI converts a 4th & 1 and eventually scores a TD to make it 16-0.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
JohnnyDel, first off I appreciate the time you put into the fantastic analysis of the 49ers offense and defense. This is the number one thing I look for after each game. I would like to provide some constructive criticism, though. In one of your earlier videos this weak, you had a ton of offensive plays covered in one video. You had the routes already drawn up, and you went through the play very quickly. For my weak football mind, I really wasn't able to follow things well. One advantage of manually drawing on the screen is that it forces you to slow down and you explain the routes/defensive coverages in more detail. Now, I am not saying you should manually draw, the new method is much better, but I would like to suggest that you slow yourself down and cover things in more detail. One thing that would help is to isolate the receiver route (visually), and the one/two defender that determines whether the route will be successful.

Anyway, thanks again for the time and effort you put into your review. I learn a lot from them.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by TyCore:
Originally posted by NCommand:
3 man pleasure should never be a thing.

To each their own

nasties
Originally posted by thl408:
jonnyd, dunno if you are going to get to the defense, but this play stood out to me and was an important play in the first half. Your thoughts?
2Q 3rd & 10
I think the 49ers are in Quarters here. Moseley in press alignment (press Quarters is a new look for this defense). This play unfolds very oddly.

Moseley playing man coverage on the #1. Ward, I think, is in Quarters. With no vertical threat from a #2, Ward should be looking to help Moseley bracket the #1. You can see Ward facing the #1 here.

This is where it gets weird. The #1 Curls. Moseley abandons his coverage of #1, opting to cover a phantom Post route that isn't happening. The #1 is running a Curl, close enough to being an in breaking route where Ward needs to come down and double the #1.

If they are in Quarters on that side of the field, Ward needs to be flat footed and stay shallow to help cover any in breaking routes from the #1, which is exactly what happens. What is Moseley doing? Caught for 9 yards. ARI converts a 4th & 1 and eventually scores a TD to make it 16-0.
Looked like cover 4 palms to me. The difference is I think Moseley is expecting the pass rush to get there and just goes lazy on the play. Even if he plays it out, it's still probably a completion. If you look at the other side, Sherm gives up the same route, the difference is that K'Waun Williams is playing soft in the curl zone and Dre Greenlaw is coming up on the RB who's in pass pro. Not sure why, the RB is clearly in pass pro, don't know why he's floating to the LOS. He should be dropping back to help on any deep curl routes.
  • thl408
Looked like cover 4 palms to me. The difference is I think Moseley is expecting the pass rush to get there and just goes lazy on the play. Even if he plays it out, it's still probably a completion. If you look at the other side, Sherm gives up the same route, the difference is that K'Waun Williams is playing soft in the curl zone and Dre Greenlaw is coming up on the RB who's in pass pro. Not sure why, the RB is clearly in pass pro, don't know why he's floating to the LOS. He should be dropping back to help on any deep curl routes.

I thought Palms has the CB reading #2? Moseley pressing #1 can't possibly be reading #2.
Good point on Greenlaw. He could have gotten depth on his drop to help defend this. I think Ward should stayed shallow so that he could be in better position for #1's in breaking route.
49ers passing defense a little shaky to start the game. The first ARI TD where Fitz was wide open was a blown coverage.
  • thl408
Originally posted by fryet:
JohnnyDel, first off I appreciate the time you put into the fantastic analysis of the 49ers offense and defense. This is the number one thing I look for after each game. I would like to provide some constructive criticism, though. In one of your earlier videos this weak, you had a ton of offensive plays covered in one video. You had the routes already drawn up, and you went through the play very quickly. For my weak football mind, I really wasn't able to follow things well. One advantage of manually drawing on the screen is that it forces you to slow down and you explain the routes/defensive coverages in more detail. Now, I am not saying you should manually draw, the new method is much better, but I would like to suggest that you slow yourself down and cover things in more detail. One thing that would help is to isolate the receiver route (visually), and the one/two defender that determines whether the route will be successful.

Anyway, thanks again for the time and effort you put into your review. I learn a lot from them.
If I can chime in on this, I think jd has a wide audience of viewers. For example, some will hear "On this play, the 49ers are running Spot concept vs Cover 3", and know exactly what he means. Some viewers need to be reminded what the Spot concept is. Some never heard of Spot.

I really enjoy jd's format and how smooth it is. I do think that to watch jd's videos, and get the most out of it, you should have a certain baseline level of understanding of route concepts and coverages. It is not elementary stuff and that's a good thing imo.
If I can chime in on this, I think jd has a wide audience of viewers. For example, some will hear "On this play, the 49ers are running Spot concept vs Cover 3", and know exactly what he means. Some viewers need to be reminded what the Spot concept is. Some never heard of Spot.

I really enjoy jd's format and how smooth it is. I do think that to watch jd's videos, and get the most out of it, you should have a certain baseline level of understanding of route concepts and coverages. It is not elementary stuff and that's a good thing imo.

I agree with this. Also, google is a great thing in this regards. For those that are unfamiliar with concepts (well, first I'd suggest you look at the pinned thread in this forum stated by Thl years ago.....I may make an appearance in that thread as well even those most my s**t got erased when tinypics was disabled). Google will usually link you to a James light or other X's and O's studs article as well as give you some playart pictures.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Nov 22, 2019 at 11:21 AM ]

• Giedi
  • Veteran

Good point, maybe he can cover some basics with a separate video for beginners and then have the advanced stuff on another video, with some of the more basic stuff referred to in the advanced video. Sort of like a movie ratings kind of indicator. Pg, Pg13, and R,

While that would be nice, that would add tons of additional post production work. And as a professional videographer, editor, and motion graphics designer, I don't think that's worth his extra time or money right now.

I thought Palms has the CB reading #2? Moseley pressing #1 can't possibly be reading #2.
Good point on Greenlaw. He could have gotten depth on his drop to help defend this. I think Ward should stayed shallow so that he could be in better position for #1's in breaking route.
49ers passing defense a little shaky to start the game. The first ARI TD where Fitz was wide open was a blown coverage.

I've always known palms as, is the corner isn't threatened by a vertical he'll sit down and the safeties will match the middle crossing routes.
I might be thinking of cover 2 follow.
Originally posted by Giedi:

Good point, maybe he can cover some basics with a separate video for beginners and then have the advanced stuff on another video, with some of the more basic stuff referred to in the advanced video. Sort of like a movie ratings kind of indicator. Pg, Pg13, and R,

yeah, a lot of it has come down to me working out kinks of going from stills - video - streamlined video.
My problem with the had drawn out videos was that in my self-reflection and evaluation I was seeing I was getting lost in the weeds way too often, which I do generally. I can easily can drawn off on a tangent.
So, my first efforts at a more streamlined approach I then reviewed and saw I was glancing over too many details then.
From there, it's finding a balance. The harder part about my approach now is remembering to include all the details without sounding redundant and how much time it takes to put together. For example, that video on Jimmy's game winning drive took me about 6 hours or so by the time it was all said and done.
I'm not opposed to that, but when you're spending 6 hours putting together 6 plays and you would like to cover more content, it just gets tight on time.

What I've been doing to try and keep myself on track is I'm writing out a script for myself of the plays so that I don't get draw off topic and can try and include everything.

That's another reason the videos are taking longer. I have to watch all the film, select the plays, record them, categorize them and then write out a script for what I'm going to talk about, record it in audacity, then edit it all together with the drawings and such. Then, I've had 2 videos that adobe crashed on me when I went to export -I had saved the work but the last time I hadn't saved it until I'd done 45 minutes of editing....Then there's the export and upload time and the time to make a cover card for the youtube videos.

All this to say, I'm not trying to sound defensive or complaining about this, I've got myself into it and I'm making a little bit of money - not anything world changing - but I'm not really doing it for the money. It's just an explanation of why things have been the way they've been.

On the idea of the basic - advanced stuff. I've been chewing on the idea of doing a beginner through advanced on a lot of stuff in the off-season. Use whiteboard talks mixed in with video cutups to teach stuff.
For example. Talk about basic coverages then do an episode on the different types of cover 3 then talk about how those types of cover 3 are used and the nuances of stuff, like a cover-3 "match" for example that has a lot of layers of complexity.
Then do a series covering Shanahan's top passing concepts and run concepts - sort of thing. That way I can also keep the channel going through the off-season.
yeah, a lot of it has come down to me working out kinks of going from stills - video - streamlined video.
My problem with the had drawn out videos was that in my self-reflection and evaluation I was seeing I was getting lost in the weeds way too often, which I do generally. I can easily can drawn off on a tangent.
So, my first efforts at a more streamlined approach I then reviewed and saw I was glancing over too many details then.
From there, it's finding a balance. The harder part about my approach now is remembering to include all the details without sounding redundant and how much time it takes to put together. For example, that video on Jimmy's game winning drive took me about 6 hours or so by the time it was all said and done.
I'm not opposed to that, but when you're spending 6 hours putting together 6 plays and you would like to cover more content, it just gets tight on time.

What I've been doing to try and keep myself on track is I'm writing out a script for myself of the plays so that I don't get draw off topic and can try and include everything.

That's another reason the videos are taking longer. I have to watch all the film, select the plays, record them, categorize them and then write out a script for what I'm going to talk about, record it in audacity, then edit it all together with the drawings and such. Then, I've had 2 videos that adobe crashed on me when I went to export -I had saved the work but the last time I hadn't saved it until I'd done 45 minutes of editing....Then there's the export and upload time and the time to make a cover card for the youtube videos.

All this to say, I'm not trying to sound defensive or complaining about this, I've got myself into it and I'm making a little bit of money - not anything world changing - but I'm not really doing it for the money. It's just an explanation of why things have been the way they've been.

On the idea of the basic - advanced stuff. I've been chewing on the idea of doing a beginner through advanced on a lot of stuff in the off-season. Use whiteboard talks mixed in with video cutups to teach stuff.
For example. Talk about basic coverages then do an episode on the different types of cover 3 then talk about how those types of cover 3 are used and the nuances of stuff, like a cover-3 "match" for example that has a lot of layers of complexity.
Then do a series covering Shanahan's top passing concepts and run concepts - sort of thing. That way I can also keep the channel going through the off-season.

I want a comprehensive video of every formation and variation used by Kyle in his 49ers tenue......K, Thanks
Share 49ersWebzone