There are 209 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by NinerGM:
JD/thl

On all of Jimmy's picks, from what I could see, he was rushed every time. I guess this is encouraging because it means he's not throwing the more WTF interceptions. What did you guys see in terms of the film. Jimmy definitely threw before he was ready.

Thoughts/observations?

I'd say what you said is true on the second INT where a rushed throw resulted in an inaccurate throw, he threw it behind Dwelley, tipped, INT. From watching Jimmy the past couple years, it seems like his default reaction to seeing pressure in his face is to quickly get rid of the ball. That's a double edged sword that will (mostly) result in a really good gain to beat the blitz (see the JWilson TD), or an inaccurate rushed throw (see Dwelley tipped INT).

In my next video, that's uploading to youtube right now, should finish by 11 AM PST, I'll cover the first INT.
After reviewing the 2nd INT, I'm going to place the blame elsewhere. I think Jimmy did what he was supposed to do. That video will be up later this afternoon.
  • thl408
Originally posted by jonnydel:
JD/thl

On all of Jimmy's picks, from what I could see, he was rushed every time. I guess this is encouraging because it means he's not throwing the more WTF interceptions. What did you guys see in terms of the film. Jimmy definitely threw before he was ready.

Thoughts/observations?

I'd say what you said is true on the second INT where a rushed throw resulted in an inaccurate throw, he threw it behind Dwelley, tipped, INT. From watching Jimmy the past couple years, it seems like his default reaction to seeing pressure in his face is to quickly get rid of the ball. That's a double edged sword that will (mostly) result in a really good gain to beat the blitz (see the JWilson TD), or an inaccurate rushed throw (see Dwelley tipped INT).

In my next video, that's uploading to youtube right now, should finish by 11 AM PST, I'll cover the first INT.
After reviewing the 2nd INT, I'm going to place the blame elsewhere. I think Jimmy did what he was supposed to do. That video will be up later this afternoon.

Wondering if you put it on Mostert for not staying in to block. I'm fine with waiting till the video to hear your thoughts on that 2nd INT. I felt there was a clear lane to lead Dwelley with the pass.
.be
A couple repeats in here. The one over the middle to Samuel on the speedo concept and the off-schedule play to Bourne.
I do cover Jimmy's first INT and show another play talking about Deebo and how good he was against press man.
.be
A couple repeats in here. The one over the middle to Samuel on the speedo concept and the off-schedule play to Bourne.
I do cover Jimmy's first INT and show another play talking about Deebo and how good he was against press man.

I'm appreciating Jimmy G more-and-more because of your breakdowns.

That's my Quarterback!
[ Edited by ProfessorKel on Nov 21, 2019 at 11:02 AM ]
McGlinchey
Pressures come quickly usually on his side against Zona. I hope he bounce back with a better game.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 21, 2019 at 11:30 AM ]
that was fast JD!

A couple of things....

- we're giving up just way too much pressure consistently even when we have a RB in to help
- I love the analysis with converting from the whiteboard to the field and this speaks to what we discussed last week about Jimmy still "learning" the offense/execution
- Jimmy is getting better with each game and that's what's important
- On film, even the throw to where it shouldn't have gone, maybe we provide that one last second for him to make up his mind

One last question .... why are we asking Skule to block Chandler Jones and Dwelley to block Haason Reddick 1 on 1 in pass protection? I agree that Jimmy does have time to make the right call, but this seems to me like the options are incomplete, pick or a sack. Pressure again on both edges. I'm excited about Skule but do I think he's ready to be on an island with some of the better pass rushers in the league? Not quite.

JD - the endzone shot from the first interception you cover in your video....

JD/thl

Thanks guys for answering all the questions!!! So very helpful. Seriously guys! Sometimes I find myself here between projects at work.

It's a philosophical choice by Kyle Shanahan, IMO. You have 2 options when the defense brings pressure.
1. keep more guys in to block to cover the extra rushers
2. keep 5 guys in the route combinations to make covering those receivers with fewer defenders more difficult.

Shanahan tends to like option 2 which is more common in WCO systems. Air-Coryell, on the other hand, tend to be the first option as they're looking for longer developing, vertical stretches. I.E. Mike Martz, Norv Turner.

The more guys you keep in to block, the less amount of field the opponent has to cover and Shanahan wants to make the defense cover every blade of grass(or turf). The pick is a good example of this. We keep 2 extra guys in to block, they still get pressure and Arizona is able to flow 5 defenders vs 3 receivers.
  • thl408
that was fast JD!

A couple of things....

- we're giving up just way too much pressure consistently even when we have a RB in to help
- I love the analysis with converting from the whiteboard to the field and this speaks to what we discussed last week about Jimmy still "learning" the offense/execution
- On film, even the throw to where it shouldn't have gone, maybe we provide that one last second for him to make up his mind

One last question .... why are we asking Skule to block Chandler Jones and Dwelley to block Haason Reddick 1 on 1 in pass protection? I agree that Jimmy does have time to make the right call, but this seems to me like the options are incomplete, pick or a sack. Pressure again on both edges. I'm excited about Skule but do I think he's ready to be on an island with some of the better pass rushers in the league? Not quite.

JD/thl
Thanks guys for answering all the questions!!! So very helpful. Seriously guys! Sometimes I find myself here between projects at work.

It's a philosophical choice by Kyle Shanahan, IMO. You have 2 options when the defense brings pressure.
2. keep 5 guys in the route combinations to make covering those receivers with fewer defenders more difficult.

Shanahan tends to like option 2 which is more common in WCO systems. Air-Coryell, on the other hand, tend to be the first option as they're looking for longer developing, vertical stretches. I.E. Mike Martz, Norv Turner.

The more guys you keep in to block, the less amount of field the opponent has to cover and Shanahan wants to make the defense cover every blade of grass(or turf). The pick is a good example of this. We keep 2 extra guys in to block, they still get pressure and Arizona is able to flow 5 defenders vs 3 receivers.

ARI didn't blitz on the first INT while the 49ers decided to keep two extra blockers in. This created the 5 defenders vs 3 WRs situation. When it comes to how to beat the blitz, if the blitz is backed by zone, it's better imo to keep in an extra blocker and flood one area of the field - work the 3WR side. Someone should be open.

On the second INT (Dwelley tip), check the left side of the field. Versus Fire Zone Blitz, the 49ers flooded the left side of the field with 3 routes and Bourne was open - more rushers means less zone defenders, easier to flood an area. ARI got a free rusher so no guarantee that there was enough time to make the throw, but Bourne was open due to flooding one side of the field - because the blitz was backed by zone coverage.

When it comes to beating a blitz backed by man coverage, I think sending out five routes and relying on Jimmy to identify the mismatch then throw it fast is the best way to punish a defense, like the Wilson TD.
that was fast JD!

A couple of things....

JD/thl

ARI didn't blitz on the first INT while the 49ers decided to keep two extra blockers in. This created the 5 defenders vs 3 WRs situation. When it comes to how to beat the blitz, if the blitz is backed by zone, it's better imo to keep in an extra blocker and flood one area of the field - work the 3WR side. Someone should be open.

On the second INT (Dwelley tip), check the left side of the field. Versus Fire Zone Blitz, the 49ers flooded the left side of the field with 3 routes and Bourne was open - more rushers means less zone defenders, easier to flood an area. ARI got a free rusher so no guarantee that there was enough time to make the throw, but Bourne was open due to flooding one side of the field - because the blitz was backed by zone coverage.

When it comes to beating a blitz backed by man coverage, I think sending out five routes and relying on Jimmy to identify the mismatch then throw it fast is the best way to punish a defense, like the Wilson TD.
If you watch, the man defenders on the extra blockers came on a blitz once their men stayed in to block.
However, I wasn't necessarily just referring to the INT's, I was meaning in general.
  • thl408
If you watch, the man defenders on the extra blockers came on a blitz once their men stayed in to block.
However, I wasn't necessarily just referring to the INT's, I was meaning in general.
"The pick is a good example of this. We keep 2 extra guys in to block, they still get pressure and Arizona is able to flow 5 defenders vs 3 receivers."
Okay I read that and thought you were referring to the first INT. You're right ARI did send extra rushers late on a green dog. I think the real pressure was from the two edges.
"The pick is a good example of this. We keep 2 extra guys in to block, they still get pressure and Arizona is able to flow 5 defenders vs 3 receivers."
Okay I read that and thought you were referring to the first INT. You're right ARI did send extra rushers late on a green dog. I think the real pressure was from the two edges.

Sorry, I wasn't clear, I was cooking at the time, lol. I was meaning that you can keep extra guys in to block and still allow pressure and now you've got fewer routes to attack the defense with.

Some things covered in this video:
Spider 2 X-Banana(I love this play!!!!)
Jimmy's 3rd TD
Jimmy's footwork
the final INT
  • thl408
SPIDER 2X BANANA!

Some things covered in this video:
Spider 2 X-Banana(I love this play!!!!)
Jimmy's 3rd TD
Jimmy's footwork
the final INT

Great video
3 man pleasure should never be a thing. My OL would be running wind sprints until they puked after practice.
  • TyCore
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
3 man pleasure should never be a thing.

To each their own
Share 49ersWebzone