There are 226 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by TradeThomasToNE:
I noticed when rewatching the Panthers game that Kwon had a tendency to freelance and go inside the blocker as opposed to outside (which in general is a cardinal sin). I think he and Tartt, though flashy, are the guys who blow the most assignments in those situations.

I agree with how Kwon will try to do too much. The first notable instance I saw this was on the big Nick Chubb run vs CLE. It was a trap play and it was going to go for about 7 yards. Kwon sidestepped the OLman and instead of giving himself a chance to make a play, he essentially moved out of the way allowing it to be a 30+ yarder. Then I started to notice this more throughout the following weeks. Unfortunately, we don't have to worry about this anymore.
Peyton Manning "Details" analysis on Jimmy G is awesome. ESPN+
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Hey everybody!
Can't believe we've been able to go the first 2 months of the season only watching winning football! That's awesome!
Jimmy G - what's there to say but a lot. As many of you know, I've been breaking down our games since 2012. I've watched every game going back to the 2011 season.
I don't know if I've ever seen a defense throw as many different things at our quarterback as I saw the Cardinals try and do. While they were primarily in man-coverage, they tried at least 12 different coverage's against him this past game and he beat every one. They did everything. Brought 6, brought 5, brought 4, brought 3, tried zone, tried man, tried combo coverage's. Nothing worked. He had an answer for everything.

One of the best games I've seen from a niner QB. Flat out.

DEFENSE - the worry that I had during the off-season with our new wide 9 appeared. The concern I had was, would our smaller LB's be able to hold up against a power-man scheme between the tackles? The wide 9 with only 4 down lineman leaves a lot of space for the guards to get up on the LB's and with undersized LB's that can be a problem. Well, it was. It'll be interesting to see how Saleh and his position coaches address this in the next game against ARI. Do we go back to a 4-3 Under? I would believe it would be helpful. We'll see.

Well, on to the film!

Originally posted by thl408:
Since jd hit on all the Jimmy highlights I'll show the defensive lowlights defending the run. Yay, the fun stuff. I'll get to it tonight.

listen to Jimmy answer this question

?t=84

1:28

what sanders bring to the offense

it's a total non-cookie cutter answer. he mentions how he loves it when the receiver sees what he's seeing on the field in terms of the soft spot in the zone, and when they know whether to cut their route short or extend it.

perfectly explains the "chemistry" they have. Jimmy already sees the field like a veteran, sanders is a vet, similar offense, it's no surprise they're clicking so fast.

This is great to hear going forward that he has that wr to trust at all times
Originally posted by Joecool:

Is ESPN+ worth it?
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

Is ESPN+ worth it?

I don't think it is. Cousin shared it with me. I didn't pay.
  • thl408
Originally posted by RabidNiner:

Is ESPN+ worth it?

I don't think it is. Cousin shared it with me. I didn't pay.

Share it with us. Or maybe tell us why the Peyton analysis on Jimmy G is awesome.
So, thl...we ever going to throw simple first down passes to Arby's? And what happened to our OZ?
  • thl408
Originally posted by NCommand:
So, thl...we ever going to throw simple first down passes to Arby's? And what happened to our OZ?

I'll be out of town starting Thursday so I don't know how much I can get into this game. Really curious what Jimmy was looking at downfield. My initial guess is no one was able to get open, and that the WRs in the game did not have Jimmy's trust to throw with anticipation.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
Yes, me too. Was also wondering what you thought about the final 49er pass of the game. It went incomplete, but my thinking is if you have a defense playing 9 in the box all game, you try that pass about 10 times in a game until they back off.
Originally posted by fryet:
Yes, me too. Was also wondering what you thought about the final 49er pass of the game. It went incomplete, but my thinking is if you have a defense playing 9 in the box all game, you try that pass about 10 times in a game until they back off.

I'll get it going tomorrow. Had a lot going on this week. My daughter is sick with ear infections and my wife had bloodwork done, she's 13 weeks pregnant.

That whole 9 and 10 in the box thing was kind of a false narrative. I saw 2 deep safeties a lot in the game.

I'll get it going tomorrow. Had a lot going on this week. My daughter is sick with ear infections and my wife had bloodwork done, she's 13 weeks pregnant.

Congratulations!!
Originally posted by NinerGM:

CONGRATS dude!

Congratulations

If you are refering to the deep sideline pass to Deebo, that reminded me of something Jerry Rice said to Nate Burleson on NFL Network. Jerry said that in that exact situation that a receiver should wait until the last second to put his hands out for the ball as to not give a cue to the db of when the ball is coming. Deebo had his head turned to locate the ball and put his hands out too early in which the db read it the entire time. I am not ripping Deebo for this. He is a rookie and still learning the nuances of the position. Just thought it was a bit ironic how Jerry pointed this out the week before the game and was demonstrated against us in this very game.
Originally posted by insanemike27:
If you are refering to the deep sideline pass to Deebo, that reminded me of something Jerry Rice said to Nate Burleson on NFL Network. Jerry said that in that exact situation that a receiver should wait until the last second to put his hands out for the ball as to not give a cue to the db of when the ball is coming. Deebo had his head turned to locate the ball and put his hands out too early in which the db read it the entire time. I am not ripping Deebo for this. He is a rookie and still learning the nuances of the position. Just thought it was a bit ironic how Jerry pointed this out the week before the game and was demonstrated against us in this very game.

Yea, your right. Also the best wrs learn to throttle their speed and use their body to shield the defender until the last moment then burst at the last second to create a little seperation when they go up for the catch... It makes a lot of ok throws look great. Antonio Brown was very very good at this.

I noticed Deboo didn't do this on that throw and he could have since he won off the line. He had separation and was in front of the db. He could have stacked the defender,but again he's only a rookie and I think that's more of veteran thing to do.
Share 49ersWebzone