LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 302 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
2Q 1st & 10
49ers show a 3-4 Over shift. DJJ at 1t with Greenlaw and Bosa playing like 3-4 standup OLBs. The 49ers this season have gone away from a five man front so this is a rare occasion. 49ers will also slant the DL weakside.
ARI will try to trap DJJones with the RG, and run it up the A gap on a quick inside handoff.

I think giving an offense multiple fronts is the next step for this defense. They have shown that their coverages will vary, which helps make QBs think. Incorporating multiple fronts will make them less predictable since the offense doesn't know what type of front the defense will come out in.

The DL slants and this throws off the blocking assignments. The Center steps right and has no one to block. The RG's trap block is ruined because DJJ ha slanted.

Armstead crashes down the line taking both the LT and LG, leaving Tartt unblocked.

+3
  • thl408
2Q 2nd & 7. This is the very next play from the play above. 49ers put their strongside DE (Armstead) over the TE instead of at 9t. This is an adjustment to tighten the interior. Warner calls out the run direction before the snap.

With the strongside DE not at 9t, ARI tries to run this outside on a toss sweep, trying to block Armstead with a TE.

AA gets push and shoves the TE into the backfield, disrupting the path of the pulling RT and C.

-3. Warner hunts down the play. When the play is to the sideline, Warner excels.
  • thl408
This play was key in the game and it doesn't even count as a play, which is bs for a DLman.
Early 4Q 2nd & 9 (28-14 score) and ARI is driving.
ARI will pull the RG to trap block Buckner. Run is designed to go A gap.

Buckner alertly sees that he's getting trap blocked. If the RG can hit Buckner's left shoulder, Buckner will be walled off out of the A gap.

Buckner quickly uses the 'wrong arm' technique which is a good way to defend trap blocks. It's a move that involves Buckner taking his outside shoulder (in this case his right shoulder) to hit the OLman's upfield shoulder (Right Guard's right shoulder). Basically it prevents the the trap block from hitting Buckner's left shoulder.
This allows Buckner to turn into the play to remain a factor. The RG commits a hold to prevent Buckner from making a play.

The holding call stalls the drive and ARI kicks a field goal. Nothing on the stat sheet, the play never existed, but DeFo being a factor in the run game.
So is it safe to say that they should run more of a 3-4 over or under look against teams that heavily use the read option and RPO as opposed to the general wide 9 look?
Defensively, Cossell said Chris Carson primarily runs out of 11 personnel. This means SEA shows a lot of 3 WR formations. Since they run so well out of it, what is the best way to defend this AND affect Wilson's short drop automatic quick reads? Noticed that if he reads run-defense, he doesn't hesitate to take that quick short pass or quick deep floater and let his WR run under it.

Thought about blitzing but his timing throws are so quick that the blitz won't get there. Our front 4 can get the pressure but they have not shown that they can stuff the run consistently. Would SEA game plan be to force the run and force our LBs to commit, then hit us with a lot of quick slants and skinny posts until they feel like they have got us committed in the box to take those shot plays?

And if we decide to play man, that is when Wilson doesn't hesitate to run the ball himself for easy 8 yard gains and a slide. Because of Carson's running style, their offense is extremely versatile while still be basic. This makes them a dangerous offense.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 7, 2019 at 6:53 AM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
Since jd hit on all the Jimmy highlights I'll show the defensive lowlights defending the run. Yay, the fun stuff. I'll get to it tonight.

ive seen enough of good stuff talking about Jimmy G. i need to know what's happening with the run defense. way more interesting to me
Originally posted by thl408:
Since I'm showing the six KDrake runs where he got 8+ yards consecutively, what I'm not showing right now are the runs where the 49ers made some adjustments after getting hit by the run game. I'll do that later.
3Q 2nd & 1
One of the in game tweaks was to slant the DL. Here the 49ers will have DJJones and Warner exchange gaps. The idea is for DJJones screwing up the blocking angles by switching gaps - DJJ will take the B gap, Warner the A gap.

DJJ slants to his right, into the B gap. The LG does a good job of recognizing the slant and stays in position to combo block DJJ. Warner needs to be wary that he now is an A gap player.

Warner should see the Center 4 yards upfield and stuff that A gap with aggressiveness.

Warner is slow to step up and instead waits for the RB to come to him.

+8

why was there so much hesitation from the LB's to react??
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

Probably inexperience. They're 1st and 2nd year players.

Also appreciate all the breakdowns, especially the run defense ones. Very insightful!

Because of the read option. AA immediately crashes down exposing the outside QB run. CB #24 has a WR in front of him to block. Warner is the first line of defense if Murray keeps it.

Someone messed up here. It's either #93 or #91.

The motion seems to have kept #56 from filling the A gap in case the motion guy gets the ball.
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 7, 2019 at 9:02 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:

Because of the read option. AA immediately crashes down exposing the outside QB run. CB #24 has a WR in front of him to block. Warner is the first line of defense if Murray keeps it.

Someone messed up here. It's either #93 or #91.

gotcha.

let's see what thl has to say now
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Nov 7, 2019 at 9:03 AM ]

??
[ Edited by Joecool on Nov 7, 2019 at 9:04 AM ]
Warner been so good that we tend to forget that he's only in his 2nd year of experience. The tandem of him and Kwon's experience will be missed.

A 2nd year guy and a rookie this MNF.

Whew!...time to step it up
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 7, 2019 at 9:07 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
??

• thl408
Originally posted by Disp:

Probably inexperience. They're 1st and 2nd year players.

Also appreciate all the breakdowns, especially the run defense ones. Very insightful!

I think there is truth to that. Warner is now in his second year of learning how to play as an off the ball linebacker. In college he was an overhang player (slot defender) - his primary reads were the end man on the LoS. He didn't have guards and lead blockers coming at him - he was not a box defender. Now he's in the middle of it all reading pulling guards/RBs. I know he did all this as an NFL rookie last season, but maybe the reaction time/instincts that's needed to be a good box run defender is yet to fully develop.
  • thl408

My guess on this particular play is perhaps the TE coming across the formation obstructed Warner's view of the mesh point. Eh, sounds like an excuse. He was an A gap player and that gap was getting large, he needs to fill imo. If Warner is worried about Murray keeping and running to the edge then Warner is trying to do too much.
Share 49ersWebzone