There are 68 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
My dudes...hope you can spend a lot of time on the defense this week. I need to rewatch but it seemed this was a poor matchup for our defense.

1. W9 is great but with 4-5 WR's the LB's were extra focused on coverage and late to fill holes because they were deeper.
Gashed inside a lot.
2. Poor perimeter defense. They attack the edges off T with Murray's legs and quick screens and flare passes to the RB's.
3. Scrambling QB's buy time and with time, our coverage loses their receivers...a lot.
4. Unscripted vs. Scripted. Like last week, when our defense knows what's coming, they dominate within the script. When it's off schedule, the defense looks like Keystone Cops out there.
5. Saleh has his backup rotation but he sub's them ALL in for series. So you've got Blair, Jones, Day, Thomas, etc. all in at the same time vs. just one here or there. They were exposed.
6. Hurry-up kills us and Saleh doesn't ever seem to call timeouts to let his guys catch their breathe and regroup. Our guys on a couple second half drives, were absolutely gassed and rubber-legged and just diving instead of driving. Might have lost 3 starters that way.

Thl/JD...anything else systematically you saw that exposed a weakness?
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 1, 2019 at 5:35 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
My dudes...hope you can spend a lot of time on the defense this week. I need to rewatch but it seemed this was a poor matchup for our defense.

1. W9 is great but with 4-5 WR's the LB's were extra focused on coverage and late to fill holes because they were deeper.
Gashed inside a lot.
2. Poor perimeter defense. They attack the edges off T with Murray's legs and quick screens and flare passes to the RB's.
3. Scrambling QB's buy time and with time, our coverage loses their receivers...a lot.
4. Unscripted vs. Scripted. Like last week, when our defense knows what's coming, they dominate within the script. When it's off schedule, the defense looks like Keystone Cops out there.
5. Saleh has his backup rotation but he sub's them ALL in for series. So you've got Blair, Jones, Day, Thomas, etc. all in at the same time vs. just one here or there. They were exposed.
6. Hurry-up kills us and Saleh doesn't ever seem to call timeouts to let his guys catch their breathe and regroup. Our guys on a couple second half drives, were absolutely gassed and rubber-legged and just diving instead of driving. Might have lost 3 starters that way.

The D line rotation is a great point. It's like just because we are deep there he forces the issue at times to get everyone their snap counts rather than being more situational.

Teams are starting to focus in on Blair's run defense more and more. I'm probably a broken record at this point and not trying to grind any axes... but it seems like every big run against the D this season has been in large part to a mistake he has made, whether its over pursuing, biting on a fake and taking out his own guys, trying to be too aggressive rather than setting the edge... If we could get Blair's pass rush and Solly's run defense in the same guy we'd have another potential probowler as a back up. But it's a pick your poison type deal when subbing them in at DE.
What I saw last night from the defense were a lot of missed tackles that were a result of piss poor angles and piss poor effort. I honestly think the defense was just tired because of a short week. That and the Cardinals moved the pocket away from Bosa quite often so he was effectively neutralized for most of the game. There was atleast one play where we moved Bosa to the other side of the line last second, just before the snap and it looked quite affective but it happened late in the game after most of the damage was already done.

Gashed inside a lot

This is what I said less articulately during the game day thread and was told "that's not what you saw." Also the reason why screens worked so well against *this* group of LBs. I was shocked that we were getting gashed with screens but it made so much sense because they were so worried about coverage and so deep, by the time the first defender came up to address the screen, the runner already had 7-10 yards. Just curious what the film says.

Gashed inside a lot.

this^

please
Originally posted by SkyZer0:

Gashed inside a lot.

this^

please

I agree - I think the team was tired from their all out effort to crush CAR 4 days earlier - plus travel to AZ.
>The run game was flat - the OL wasn't getting much push - and the it seemed the Offensive game plan minimized pre-snap motion and OL movement during runs to compensate for a tired team - SMART coaching plan.
>I agree with the subbing DL issue - that seems like a bad plan to me. Overall the defense looked slow in their reactions and less energy in gang tackling - which is to be expected on a short week.

The GOOD thing is they a.) dug down and fought through it, and b.) have a long rest until Monday night against Seattle. They will need it! I think this MNF game will be their biggest statement game of the season.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by thl408:
This is the weekly Jimmy INT.
Fade-Out to the left, Slant-Flat to the right. Both work versus man or zone. CAR slot defender shows blitz, single high safety.

Cover 1 blitz. This is pick-a-side 3 step timing.Jimmy takes the snap and looks left directly into the into the blitz, to the Fade-Out combo. It's a leverage read on Pettis with Reid (25) playing with a 5 yard cushion. The easy throw here is to Pettis on the short Out route. In this pic, he's pump faking to Pettis just as Pettis is exiting his break, the timing is perfect. Notice Kittle's position to the 40 yard line.

Jimmy quickly moves off Pettis and targets Kittle. Kittle starts to climb and slowly gains depth, allowing Kuechly to undercut the throw.

The only reason I can think of why he didn't target Pettis is because the blitzing slot DB might have been in the throwing lane. Kittle drifting upfield doesn't help the angle of that throw to get to him. If he runs straight to the 40/41 yard line, it makes it tougher for the defender on a drag route to cut in front. I don't know what Kittle is taught to do there.

Man wide open was pettis, but I dont think the throwing lane wasn't there, because it was there. It seemed as if Jimmy wasn't confident in throwing a anticipation throw to that area where pettis was breaking to. I actually haven't seen him make alot of anticipation throws. Maybe he was scared whoever the corner was covering the top receiver would break on the ball?? I doubt he would've made a play on it though since his back was turned the entire time. Anywho something to learn from for JImmy.

I think having Emmanuel Sanders on the team is kinda showing the hesitancy of throwing to Pettis. If you watch Pettis run his routes, it seems to me his head comes around late - and on deeper routes its almost like he never looks back and looks at the DB more than back for the ball. With Sanders, his head is snapped back to the QB instantly out of his break - Pettis on the route here doesn't turn his head until his is hitting his third step out of the break. Even look at Kittle here, he is looking a the QB as he runs, inviting a throw - even tho in this case it was an INT. Will have to watch this closer now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Andy Isabella is fast! And on that 80+ yard Cardinal TD, Isabella was in man coverage with Moseley. Richard took a bad angle partly because of Isabella's speed and agility. Even then, Ward almost caught up with him. Great throw by Kyler and great catch by Isabella.

The only thing I would have done differently was stay in zone coverage vs man when Isabella was in the game and tell Emanuel to tackle and not go for the interception. or double Isabella.

Hey everybody!
Can't believe we've been able to go the first 2 months of the season only watching winning football! That's awesome!
Jimmy G - what's there to say but a lot. As many of you know, I've been breaking down our games since 2012. I've watched every game going back to the 2011 season.
I don't know if I've ever seen a defense throw as many different things at our quarterback as I saw the Cardinals try and do. While they were primarily in man-coverage, they tried at least 12 different coverage's against him this past game and he beat every one. They did everything. Brought 6, brought 5, brought 4, brought 3, tried zone, tried man, tried combo coverage's. Nothing worked. He had an answer for everything.

One of the best games I've seen from a niner QB. Flat out.

DEFENSE - the worry that I had during the off-season with our new wide 9 appeared. The concern I had was, would our smaller LB's be able to hold up against a power-man scheme between the tackles? The wide 9 with only 4 down lineman leaves a lot of space for the guards to get up on the LB's and with undersized LB's that can be a problem. Well, it was. It'll be interesting to see how Saleh and his position coaches address this in the next game against ARI. Do we go back to a 4-3 Under? I would believe it would be helpful. We'll see.

Well, on to the film!
.be

Originally posted by jonnydel:
Hey everybody!
Can't believe we've been able to go the first 2 months of the season only watching winning football! That's awesome!
Jimmy G - what's there to say but a lot. As many of you know, I've been breaking down our games since 2012. I've watched every game going back to the 2011 season.
I don't know if I've ever seen a defense throw as many different things at our quarterback as I saw the Cardinals try and do. While they were primarily in man-coverage, they tried at least 12 different coverage's against him this past game and he beat every one. They did everything. Brought 6, brought 5, brought 4, brought 3, tried zone, tried man, tried combo coverage's. Nothing worked. He had an answer for everything.

DEFENSE - the worry that I had during the off-season with our new wide 9 appeared. The concern I had was, would our smaller LB's be able to hold up against a power-man scheme between the tackles? The wide 9 with only 4 down lineman leaves a lot of space for the guards to get up on the LB's and with undersized LB's that can be a problem. Well, it was. It'll be interesting to see how Saleh and his position coaches address this in the next game against ARI. Do we go back to a 4-3 Under? I would believe it would be helpful. We'll see.

Well, on to the film!
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Hey everybody!

.be
part 2
Great stuff!
Share 49erswebzone