There are 157 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • thl408
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Man wide open was pettis, but I dont think the throwing lane wasn't there, because it was there. It seemed as if Jimmy wasn't confident in throwing a anticipation throw to that area where pettis was breaking to. I actually haven't seen him make alot of anticipation throws. Maybe he was scared whoever the corner was covering the top receiver would break on the ball?? I doubt he would've made a play on it though since his back was turned the entire time. Anywho something to learn from for JImmy.
Yeah Jimmy had to have seen that CB's back turned. He had to have been reading man coverage. Teams have run trap coverages where the CB fakes man then turns around and robs the flat maybe Jimmy thought that? Only the guys in the meeting room know.
Originally posted by thl408:
Man wide open was pettis, but I dont think the throwing lane wasn't there, because it was there. It seemed as if Jimmy wasn't confident in throwing a anticipation throw to that area where pettis was breaking to. I actually haven't seen him make alot of anticipation throws. Maybe he was scared whoever the corner was covering the top receiver would break on the ball?? I doubt he would've made a play on it though since his back was turned the entire time. Anywho something to learn from for JImmy.
Yeah Jimmy had to have seen that CB's back turned. He had to have been reading man coverage. Teams have run trap coverages where the CB fakes man then turns around and robs the flat maybe Jimmy thought that? Only the guys in the meeting room know.

National Tight End day. Had to feed the TE early on his day! Thanks as always thl and JD. Still one of the main reasons I keep coming to this forum. Simply the best
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be
Some repeats in this but I wanted to show these plays all in succession so we could see a clear pattern of how Shanny attacked Keuchly.

Just awesome breakdowns there

Agreed! I wish we could hear the everything Keuchly said during that game. Shanahan had a great player raging in frustration.

Kyle is messing with every single box defenders' head, and he did it to the best of them. Here's more messing with Kuechly.
3rd & 11
Triangle stretch vs Cover3.

Orange is horizontally stretched, blue vertically. Jimmy pump fakes to Kittle and quickly draws Kuechly forward.

Sanders works the area behind.

+13

Great gif analysis.... Heres my point of view from it. I don't think Jimmy really meant to pump fake, doesnt look like a jimmy pump fake. Instead looks like Jimmy learned from his earlier mistake of throwing that pick to Luke earlier. Maybe he underestimated luke earlier, but not this round. Fortunately he didn't commit to the throw to his blanket kittle and pulls it back, but it made luke jump on the first route. Jimmy going to his next progression (great from him) sees sanders open and hits him. Different point of view, but my two cents. Good for Jimmy learning from his previous mistake in the game, which he's done every game.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Oct 30, 2019 at 11:12 PM ]
Great gif analysis.... Heres my point of view from it. I don't think Jimmy really meant to pump fake, doesnt look like a jimmy pump fake. Instead looks like Jimmy learned from his earlier mistake of throwing that pick to Luke earlier. Maybe he underestimated luke earlier, but not this round. Fortunately he didn't commit to the throw to his blanket kittle and pulls it back, but it made luke jump on the first route. Jimmy going to his next progression (great from him) sees sanders open and hits him. Different point of view, but my two cents. Good for Jimmy learning from his previous mistake in the game, which he's done every game.

I'm about to upload a segment on Sanders and I'll talk about this play. If you look at the route combination with what Kuechly see's, it looks like a spot concept which helps sell a sucker. The spot is a spot route(kittle) a corner route and a flat route. Kuechly see's Sanders go vertical and then a spot and a flat route, so, knowing the game well he thinks it's a spot concept and assumes Sanders is running a corner route. So, Jimmy pump fakes him off to sell this and gets Sanders.
It was 3rd and 11 so there's no doubt in my mind that Sanders's in route was the primary and the pump fake is just window dressing.

I've seen a bunch. He made a 3rd down throw to Deebo in the game where he starts his windup before Deebo comes out of his break on a slant. Seen it before in his throws to Goodwin too. It's almost like he doesn't trust Pettis or has a hard time reading his body language for breaks, IDK.
  • thl408

I'm about to upload a segment on Sanders and I'll talk about this play. If you look at the route combination with what Kuechly see's, it looks like a spot concept which helps sell a sucker. The spot is a spot route(kittle) a corner route and a flat route. Kuechly see's Sanders go vertical and then a spot and a flat route, so, knowing the game well he thinks it's a spot concept and assumes Sanders is running a corner route. So, Jimmy pump fakes him off to sell this and gets Sanders.
It was 3rd and 11 so there's no doubt in my mind that Sanders's in route was the primary and the pump fake is just window dressing.

Yeah there was no reason for Kuechly to defend Kittle's route on a 3rd & 11 and no reason for Jimmy to target Kittle's curl well short of the sticks on a route that isn't on the move. I also think the pump fake was deliberate to draw Kuechly away from Sanders.
.be

I've seen a bunch. He made a 3rd down throw to Deebo in the game where he starts his windup before Deebo comes out of his break on a slant. Seen it before in his throws to Goodwin too. It's almost like he doesn't trust Pettis or has a hard time reading his body language for breaks, IDK.

Pettis somewhat reminds me of Stevie Johnson. He is a great ad lib route runner, but it makes it hard for the QB to anticipate sometimes. Hopefully he figures it out by the end of the year. I still have faith in his ability.
Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:

Pettis somewhat reminds me of Stevie Johnson. He is a great ad lib route runner, but it makes it hard for the QB to anticipate sometimes. Hopefully he figures it out by the end of the year. I still have faith in his ability.

Me too, he seems to be kind of where Akhello was in his sophmore year. I think part of it is that he still hasn't quite put on enough strength to deal with the bump and run coverage. He'll get hung up on the line sometimes. That was Akhello's problem in year 2, he still wasn't quite strong enough so he didn't have confidence in press coverage. We could still see a huge jump in Pettis's production next year.
  • thl408
.be

Good work jd. Your videos are so clean and polished now. You should have included that route Sanders ran where Jimmy overthrew him. It was a nice route. Pettis ran a very similar route later in the game and got little separation (It was a 3rd & 17 I think, and Pettis wanted a DPI flag).

Originally posted by PowderdToastMn:

Me too, he seems to be kind of where Akhello was in his sophmore year. I think part of it is that he still hasn't quite put on enough strength to deal with the bump and run coverage. He'll get hung up on the line sometimes. That was Akhello's problem in year 2, he still wasn't quite strong enough so he didn't have confidence in press coverage. We could still see a huge jump in Pettis's production next year.

Just as I bring up anticipation throws, he makes one of the best I've seen from him. That was a thing of beauty.
My dudes...hope you can spend a lot of time on the defense this week. I need to rewatch but it seemed this was a poor matchup for our defense.

1. W9 is great but with 4-5 WR's the LB's were extra focused on coverage and late to fill holes because they were deeper.
Gashed inside a lot.
2. Poor perimeter defense. They attack the edges off T with Murray's legs and quick screens and flare passes to the RB's.
3. Scrambling QB's buy time and with time, our coverage loses their receivers...a lot.
4. Unscripted vs. Scripted. Like last week, when our defense knows what's coming, they dominate within the script. When it's off schedule, the defense looks like Keystone Cops out there.
5. Saleh has his backup rotation but he sub's them ALL in for series. So you've got Blair, Jones, Day, Thomas, etc. all in at the same time vs. just one here or there. They were exposed.
6. Hurry-up kills us and Saleh doesn't ever seem to call timeouts to let his guys catch their breathe and regroup. Our guys on a couple second half drives, were absolutely gassed and rubber-legged and just diving instead of driving. Might have lost 3 starters that way.

Thl/JD...anything else systematically you saw that exposed a weakness?
[ Edited by NCommand on Nov 1, 2019 at 5:35 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
My dudes...hope you can spend a lot of time on the defense this week. I need to rewatch but it seemed this was a poor matchup for our defense.

1. W9 is great but with 4-5 WR's the LB's were extra focused on coverage and late to fill holes because they were deeper.
Gashed inside a lot.
2. Poor perimeter defense. They attack the edges off T with Murray's legs and quick screens and flare passes to the RB's.
3. Scrambling QB's buy time and with time, our coverage loses their receivers...a lot.
4. Unscripted vs. Scripted. Like last week, when our defense knows what's coming, they dominate within the script. When it's off schedule, the defense looks like Keystone Cops out there.
5. Saleh has his backup rotation but he sub's them ALL in for series. So you've got Blair, Jones, Day, Thomas, etc. all in at the same time vs. just one here or there. They were exposed.
6. Hurry-up kills us and Saleh doesn't ever seem to call timeouts to let his guys catch their breathe and regroup. Our guys on a couple second half drives, were absolutely gassed and rubber-legged and just diving instead of driving. Might have lost 3 starters that way.

The D line rotation is a great point. It's like just because we are deep there he forces the issue at times to get everyone their snap counts rather than being more situational.

Teams are starting to focus in on Blair's run defense more and more. I'm probably a broken record at this point and not trying to grind any axes... but it seems like every big run against the D this season has been in large part to a mistake he has made, whether its over pursuing, biting on a fake and taking out his own guys, trying to be too aggressive rather than setting the edge... If we could get Blair's pass rush and Solly's run defense in the same guy we'd have another potential probowler as a back up. But it's a pick your poison type deal when subbing them in at DE.
What I saw last night from the defense were a lot of missed tackles that were a result of piss poor angles and piss poor effort. I honestly think the defense was just tired because of a short week. That and the Cardinals moved the pocket away from Bosa quite often so he was effectively neutralized for most of the game. There was atleast one play where we moved Bosa to the other side of the line last second, just before the snap and it looked quite affective but it happened late in the game after most of the damage was already done.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Gashed inside a lot.

this^

please
Share 49ersWebzone