LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 225 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Love the review faithful! keep it up... appreciate the work!
  • thl408
jonnydel mentioned in the Kyle thread how Kuechly's head was spinning with all the misdirection. Check him out on this play (#59).
2Q 1st & 10, +12
Wonderful. Love this thread. Thank you thl
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Awesome breakdown Thl408. Really learn a lot from what you do. Thanks for going to the effort.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Yeah, I got a hard on looking at this stuff - thanks, thl.
Shanny is in the groove right now.

I can only imagine what this offense will look like when healthy and in the playoffs
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by rathman4481:
Shanny is in the groove right now.

I can only imagine what this offense will look like when healthy and in the playoffs

And when the players are so familiar with the scheme that their assignments are just automatic and executed right all the time. Around play off time that imo should be just about happening.
with any luck I'll be putting out some videos early on today. My first one will cover the first defensive series. It was a thing of beauty by Saleh.
  • Goatie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jonnydel:
with any luck I'll be putting out some videos early on today. My first one will cover the first defensive series. It was a thing of beauty by Saleh.

He is a nightmare maker

Originally posted by thl408:
jonnydel mentioned in the Kyle thread how Kuechly's head was spinning with all the misdirection. Check him out on this play (#59).
2Q 1st & 10, +12

Hopefully I'll get to some just on Keuchly's reactions after plays, lol. Go look at how he reacts after Coleman's first TD, the Coleman catch for a TD where he got all turned around and was late to the POA, and then Deebo TD is the best, lol. He's SOOOOO pissed, flailing his arms around, finally, at the very end of the coleman 1 yard TD, watch the very last second of the endzone view, you see him look over at the sideline like, "what do we do?"
The 49ers this season have displayed many layers to their run game. More than they have in previous years. Here the 49ers use a midline option to create a gigantic running lane right in the middle of the DL. It's basically a zone read play but the read defender is a DT, not a DE like in the zone read we've seen in the past 49er offenses. 49ers couple this with outside zone.
The 3t is the read defender.

probably because Shanahan's offense is coming into fruition due to more extensive knowledge of the playbook with the players and the time it's taken to grasp everything. he can call more
[ Edited by SkyZer0 on Oct 30, 2019 at 6:07 AM ]
Originally posted by jonnydel:
2Q 1st & 10, +12

Hopefully I'll get to some just on Keuchly's reactions after plays, lol. Go look at how he reacts after Coleman's first TD, the Coleman catch for a TD where he got all turned around and was late to the POA, and then Deebo TD is the best, lol. He's SOOOOO pissed, flailing his arms around, finally, at the very end of the coleman 1 yard TD, watch the very last second of the endzone view, you see him look over at the sideline like, "what do we do?"

any idea why we missed that throw to Sanders on I think (it was either a deep out or corner on the left side of the field) from Jimmy? Sanders ran a GREAT route but Jimmy look like he just missed him . whether it be just chemistry or what
This might have been CAR's best chance all game. This is on the drive after the Kuechly INT. A play that could have given CAR some early confidence. CAR lines up 4 to the left and with McCaffrey out wide to one side, Olsen to the other, it reveals zone coverage. All the short routes will keep the left side of the end zone clear for yellow. 49ers are in Cover3 but will match up all around. This puts Warner on Curtis Samuel, a speedy WR.

Samuel stems into the feet of Warner to get him on his heels.

Allen knows this is a mismatch and let's it fly before any separation is seen. Tartt protecting the post, can't help on the corner.

Samuel gets plenty of separation, but Allen is skittish in the pocket and throws with a hop step causing an inaccurate throw. There was just enough room to step into this throw but with what looked like three walls closing in, Allen felt the need to shorten his mechanics.

this is why Brees and Rodgers will be tough. they'll make these throws routinely and consistently.
The 49ers this season have displayed many layers to their run game. More than they have in previous years. Here the 49ers use a midline option to create a gigantic running lane right in the middle of the DL. It's basically a zone read play but the read defender is a DT, not a DE like in the zone read we've seen in the past 49er offenses. 49ers couple this with outside zone.
The 3t is the read defender.

3t is unblocked and stunned. The orbit motion from Pettis ensures that red will not be factoring into this play as he plays contain.

The red DE pulled one way, the 3t paralyzed, the rest of the DL flowing with outside zone all create a large running lane up the middle. Coleman presses into the back of Tomlinson to help Tomlinson sustain the block on Kuechly.

It also pulls the safety into a bad angle.

When Coleman breaks back inside, he is untouched past the second level. Great job of setting up his block.

Awesome Thl, and fascinating how the DL is sucked in with the zone blocking going right only to have the play go the other way. . And spotlighting Kuechly, no dummy, just shows how believable all the initial action fakes him out of his jock strap. And THAT is impressive because he's no dummy. Easy to see tho when you see the OL fire out one direction, why the D goes that way, but the other wrinkles kyle puts in are just deadly.

Terrific breakdown and thanks. I thot i saw that play but honestly, i really didn't see the WHY of it. Kyle for COTY...and you for POTY (as in professor OTY)
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Oct 30, 2019 at 6:39 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone