There are 164 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:

That was a miss. Perhaps weather conditions had him not wanting to risk the shot throw? I'm wondering if we've shown this play before in prior weeks and that's why the safety went rocketing towards Kittle. Its almost like JImmy isn't believe a dude would bust like that. It's a helleva lot better showing these at 6-0 and winning because if we had lost this woulda been a killer.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM ]
  • thl408
Okay here's a shot play that worked and it might have been a TD. We've all seen this play before where the WR/TE will leak out and go deep. Goodwin scored on a similar play versus TB in week 1. Here, Bourne is the WR to sneak out of the formation.

Playaction. Kittle sifts behind the OL and that draws red CB towards the middle of the field. I think WAS is in a Cover3 so red should be gaining depth to cover his deep 1/3.

Jimmy looks to his left and that pulls the middle deep safety (blue) over to Pettis, away from where Bourne is going. Red CB has decided to match Toilolo, abandoning his deep 1/3 responsibility.

Bourne attacks the deep 1/3 zone vacated by red CB.

+26. Jimmy leads Bourne a bit more I think it's a TD.

jd showed some plays where Jimmy used his eyes to move defenders. Here's another example of that. Jimmy normally does this well against zone which is why when he didn't do it on the interception, it was so noteworthy.
Okay here's a shot play that worked and it might have been a TD. We've all seen this play before where the WR/TE will leak out and go deep. Goodwin scored on a similar play versus TB in week 1. Here, Bourne is the WR to sneak out of the formation.

I just love how many times we can run this play. We've seen it wrapped up so many different ways. My personal favorite is still the MG one vs Cincy.
Originally posted by Niners816:

I just love how many times we can run this play. We've seen it wrapped up so many different ways. My personal favorite is still the MG one vs Cincy.

The way Kyle uses this play off of his OZ run reminds me of how Walsh and Holmgren used to use the FB Slide action off of the Sweep. You always had to account for it and really despite knowing it was coming it was brutally hard to stop. Granted the Walsh/Holmgren slide was a much shorter play but just the way each branch of plays work off of each other is cool.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think that one's a bit on Jimmy. There's nobody in the middle of the Skins dline before the snap and the middle of the field after the snap.

Jimmy should see it before the snap that he has the possibility of a running lane

Jimmy's a true pocket passer. not a colin kaepernick.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
This is one of the two sacks on Jimmy. I'll be showing both. If it seems like I'm showing a lot of offensive lowlights it's because I am. In a game where the 49ers only scored 9 points, I wanted to see if it was because they were being ultra conservative or were they trying but just couldn't hit the big one.
2Q 2nd & 10
This is on the drive to end the 1st half. WAS shows a split safety look. Orange and Red routes widen the two safeties for Kittle to split them down the seam in between the Cover 2 safeties.

But it's not Cover2. WAS rotates to a Cover3 "cloud" coverage. Most times, Cover3 is played with 2 CBs and 1 safety as the three deep zones. Here, it's two safeties and 1 CB playing the three deep zones - a bit of a changeup to give a two deep safety look that is not Cover2. There is no longer a seam down the middle of the field for Kittle to attack.

Jimmy is looking for Kittle but that route is not open with the blue safety over the top. Brunskill having a problem with a stab move.

Sacked for -5. 49ers try to hit a big one here, but the coverage rotated to something that shut down what the 49ers dialed up.

I think that one's a bit on Jimmy. There's nobody in the middle of the Skins dline before the snap and the middle of the field after the snap.

Jimmy should see it before the snap that he has the possibility of a running lane

Nah, it would've closed up by the time he finished looking at the coverage. Was just a call that didn't work.
Here's a snapshot of the personnel grouping after 6 games(Source:sharpfootballstats.com):

11 pers (37% of the time) 64.6% comp 5 tds 1 ints
21 pers (24% of the time) 70.0% comp 2 tds 1 ints
12 pers (24% of the time) 71.9% comp 0 tds 2 ints
22 pers (10% of the time) 77.8% comp 1 tds 0 ints

Not surprising that the 12 pers has increased since Juice got hurt. For some context, we only features 12 pers 10% of the time last year.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 23, 2019 at 11:04 AM ]

Playaction. Kittle sifts behind the OL and that draws red CB towards the middle of the field. I think WAS is in a Cover3 so red should be gaining depth to cover his deep 1/3.

Jimmy looks to his left and that pulls the middle deep safety (blue) over to Pettis, away from where Bourne is going. Red CB has decided to match Toilolo, abandoning his deep 1/3 responsibility.

Bourne attacks the deep 1/3 zone vacated by red CB.

+26. Jimmy leads Bourne a bit more I think it's a TD.

jd showed some plays where Jimmy used his eyes to move defenders. Here's another example of that. Jimmy normally does this well against zone which is why when he didn't do it on the interception, it was so noteworthy.

soo is he just inconsistent when looking defenders off? sounds like this is something he needs to get better at
  • thl408
Originally posted by Niners816:

The way Kyle uses this play off of his OZ run reminds me of how Walsh and Holmgren used to use the FB Slide action off of the Sweep. You always had to account for it and really despite knowing it was coming it was brutally hard to stop. Granted the Walsh/Holmgren slide was a much shorter play but just the way each branch of plays work off of each other is cool.

The throw to Bourne play was quite a variation in that Bourne and Jimmy went to the same side that the OL was flowing. Jimmy only looked to the opposite side of the field to draw the middle deep safety away. Toilolo's route was very instrumental in occupying the defender that should have been in the area to defend Bourne. So many variations of a similar type of play. And you're right it was Goodwin vs CIN, not TB as I originally stated.
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:

Just watch what happens to Justin Skule on this play. It's tough being an olineman.

Reminds me of Mortal Kombat

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Thank, johnny and thl.
The throw to Bourne play was quite a variation in that Bourne and Jimmy went to the same side that the OL was flowing. Jimmy only looked to the opposite side of the field to draw the middle deep safety away. Toilolo's route was very instrumental in occupying the defender that should have been in the area to defend Bourne. So many variations of a similar type of play. And you're right it was Goodwin vs CIN, not TB as I originally stated.

It's just a killer play. You know Kyle's spends a ton of time just thinking of ways to show it a different way. You noted Jimmy Rolling to the same side as the sneak. I'm sure that's just a wrinkle to f**k with the defense. We've shown it so many different ways it's got to be maddening for Defenses to know what's happening. That moment of hesitation is what kills you.
  • thl408
2Q 4th & 1. Offenses keep testing a 49er strength.

TE weak effort block.

JTaylor got an assist from Kwon. I was hoping Taylor really beasted like that.
  • thl408
This was beastly
Originally posted by mayo49:
Thank, johnny and thl.

Absolutely great work
Share 49ersWebzone