LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 230 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
2Q 2nd & 10
jd, thoughts on this play.
This is the play immediately after the cutup above. It's the play where Kittle could have gotten blasted by the safety. There was a blown coverage on this play and I want to see if we can figure out why Jimmy didn't see it.
With the safeties at 10 yard depth, that suggests Quarters coverage. If it is Quarters, then the CBs will match #1 if vertical. Pettis originally lines up in the slot, then shifts to the backfield. Purple CB is following Pettis this entire time presnap.

Pettis orbits around Jimmy at the snap and purple follows. Man or zone?

LBs take a zone drop. Safeties do not gain depth. I think they are in Quarters. Red CB looks like he's playing the flat, which is not what a CB should be doing in Quarters. Does red think it's a Cover2 call?

James runs right by the CB. At the bottom, orange CB on Bourne matches his vertical like a CB playing Quarters should. There are many different variations to Quarters. The blue safety here does not go to help with #1 and instead stays in his zone.
With the safeties playing shallow, the area behind the LB and in front of the safeties is condensed.

Jimmy is waiting for Kittle to get into the passing lane. Blue is shallow.

It doesn't seem like Jimmy looks to the CB squatting on James with no safety help. I think it's because when he saw Quarters, he felt the area to attack was middle of the field, not sideline fade from the far hash on a rainy day. The CB on James blew his coverage and should have stayed over top of James not squat.
WAS makes a nice adjustment here on how to handle the motion from Pettis. Pettis' motion is supposed to draw the attention of the blue safety once Pettis becomes the new #2 at the snap, but it doesn't. It doesn't because WAS had purple follow the motion player so that the blue safety wouldn't be drawn away from his area.
The past two games, we saw Kyle use presnap motion to break Quarters and get Kittle on a LB with no help. Here the safety stays in his area because he doesn't care about any presnap motion and so he's able to defend that area of the field.

WIDE OPEN He even looks towards the Wide open wr, potential td. lol I wanna hear the explaination to this because looking at the video it seems he even looks at the wr and the route is open but somehow he just tucks it and throws to his security blanket.

The only positive is that Jimmy holds the safety with his look toward the middle, but i'm not even sure if he did that on purpose now. That play brings me alot of PTSD... almost kap like

appreciate the work from both of you webzoners.
[ Edited by DRCHOWDER on Oct 23, 2019 at 12:08 AM ]
These threads are way better than any thoughts after the game threads. Keep up the good work
2Q 2nd & 10
This is the play immediately after the cutup above. It's the play where Kittle could have gotten blasted by the safety. There was a blown coverage on this play and I want to see if we can figure out why Jimmy didn't see it.
With the safeties at 10 yard depth, that suggests Quarters coverage. If it is Quarters, then the CBs will match #1 if vertical. Pettis originally lines up in the slot, then shifts to the backfield. Purple CB is following Pettis this entire time presnap.

LBs take a zone drop. Safeties do not gain depth. I think they are in Quarters. Red CB looks like he's playing the flat, which is not what a CB should be doing in Quarters. Does red think it's a Cover2 call?

James runs right by the CB. At the bottom, orange CB on Bourne matches his vertical like a CB playing Quarters should. There are many different variations to Quarters. The blue safety here does not go to help with #1 and instead stays in his zone.
With the safeties playing shallow, the area behind the LB and in front of the safeties is condensed.

It doesn't seem like Jimmy looks to the CB squatting on James with no safety help. I think it's because when he saw Quarters, he felt the area to attack was middle of the field, not sideline fade from the far hash on a rainy day. The CB on James blew his coverage and should have stayed over top of James not squat.
WAS makes a nice adjustment here on how to handle the motion from Pettis. Pettis' motion is supposed to draw the attention of the blue safety once Pettis becomes the new #2 at the snap, but it doesn't. It doesn't because WAS had purple follow the motion player so that the blue safety wouldn't be drawn away from his area.
The past two games, we saw Kyle use presnap motion to break Quarters and get Kittle on a LB with no help. Here the safety stays in his area because he doesn't care about any presnap motion and so he's able to defend that area of the field.

Wow, missed opportunities Clean it up Jimmy. Almost setting up Kittle for a potential big hit if he caught that ball.
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
2Q 2nd & 10

Wow, missed opportunities Clean it up Jimmy. Almost setting up Kittle for a potential big hit if he caught that ball.

this is exactly why QB's review defensive looks and what they missed or didn't miss coming back onto the sidelines
jd/thl, why are opposing offenses constantly having success vs our run D each week now on the opening drive? is this going to be a regular thing? are the 9ers going to have to constantly adjust?
  • thl408
This is one of the two sacks on Jimmy. I'll be showing both. If it seems like I'm showing a lot of offensive lowlights it's because I am. In a game where the 49ers only scored 9 points, I wanted to see if it was because they were being ultra conservative or were they trying but just couldn't hit the big one.
2Q 2nd & 10
This is on the drive to end the 1st half. WAS shows a split safety look. Orange and Red routes widen the two safeties for Kittle to split them down the seam in between the Cover 2 safeties.

But it's not Cover2. WAS rotates to a Cover3 "cloud" coverage. Most times, Cover3 is played with 2 CBs and 1 safety as the three deep zones. Here, it's two safeties and 1 CB playing the three deep zones - a bit of a changeup to give a two deep safety look that is not Cover2. There is no longer a seam down the middle of the field for Kittle to attack.

Jimmy is looking for Kittle but that route is not open with the blue safety over the top. Brunskill having a problem with a stab move.

Sacked for -5. 49ers try to hit a big one here, but the coverage rotated to something that shut down what the 49ers dialed up.
This is one of the two sacks on Jimmy. I'll be showing both. If it seems like I'm showing a lot of offensive lowlights it's because I am. In a game where the 49ers only scored 9 points, I wanted to see if it was because they were being ultra conservative or were they trying but just couldn't hit the big one.

If you're up to reviewing some offensive lowlights, I think it's the first drive of the game for us. We run an off-tackle run to Brunskill's side and Person and Richburg get confused on who is going to keep blocking the DT and who will move to the 2nd level. They both let the DT go and he tackles Breida, I think, no gain or a 1 yard gain. After the play you see Person go to Richburg visibly upset about the play.
Originally posted by SkyZer0:
jd/thl, why are opposing offenses constantly having success vs our run D each week now on the opening drive? is this going to be a regular thing? are the 9ers going to have to constantly adjust?

Good plans to start out with, mixed with over-aggressiveness on our part. We then fix it soon.
  • thl408
This was perhaps the best chance for the 49ers to score a TD in the game. There was another redzone trip where they ended up giving the ball to Kittle on an end around, Toilolo blew a block, and that play blew up. But this play I felt had a chance, but the timing of it was off and it didn't work out.

3Q 3rd & 6. This play is from the second drive of the 2nd half. WAS is in Quarters. With the two in-breaking routes over the middle, red will clear space for yellow in a variation of a Trail concept.

Jimmy takes the snap and looks to his left. That three man route combination takes awhile to develop. The CB/safety pattern match to figure out their man coverage assignments. The CB takes the WR that is towards the outside (Bourne) while the safety takes the WR on the inside (Pettis).

Pettis clears out the middle of the field. Bourne is exiting his pivot. Jimmy should be looking at Bourne at this moment in order to decide if Bourne has won leverage - he has, not by much, but there is room for Bourne's route to work. But Jimmy is looking to the right side of the field in this pic.

If a throw to Bourne is to be made, it has to be now. Jimmy is pump faking to his right and doesn't see Bourne's route develop.

Bourne isn't wide open by any means, but if there is an anticipation throw to make, Jimmy never had a chance because his eyes were somewhere else when Bourne exited his break. Not sure what the progression is here, but it seems as though Jimmy moved away from three man route combination to his left too early. Sack for 0 yard.
2Q 2nd & 10
This is on the drive to end the 1st half. WAS shows a split safety look. Orange and Red routes widen the two safeties for Kittle to split them down the seam in between the Cover 2 safeties.

But it's not Cover2. WAS rotates to a Cover3 "cloud" coverage. Most times, Cover3 is played with 2 CBs and 1 safety as the three deep zones. Here, it's two safeties and 1 CB playing the three deep zones - a bit of a changeup to give a two deep safety look that is not Cover2. There is no longer a seam down the middle of the field for Kittle to attack.

Jimmy is looking for Kittle but that route is not open with the blue safety over the top. Brunskill having a problem with a stab move.

Sacked for -5. 49ers try to hit a big one here, but the coverage rotated to something that shut down what the 49ers dialed up.

I think that one's a bit on Jimmy. There's nobody in the middle of the Skins dline before the snap and the middle of the field after the snap.

Jimmy should see it before the snap that he has the possibility of a running lane
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Oct 23, 2019 at 9:20 AM ]

• Jiks
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:

Just watch what happens to Justin Skule on this play. It's tough being an olineman.

I literally just chuckled so hard I slobbered on myself.
2Q 2nd & 10

My best guess is that they were supposed to be in cover-6 but the weakside safety got confused about which side was supposed to be the 2 thought he was in the 4 side with the motion. That's the only thing that remotely makes sense. But then you have the defender shadowing Pettis and going to the flat, why would he do that if the corner has flat in cover-6? IDK. If it's cover-4, why tf would the corner squat like that?

This is why I'm not hard on Jimmy on this play. It's not like he missed an uncovered receiver at the LOS.

There's a bust somewhere in here but where, IDK.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
2Q 2nd & 10

I think that one's a bit on Jimmy. There's nobody in the middle of the Skins dline and the middle of the field after the snap.

Jimmy should see it before the snap that he has the possibility of a running lane

That's not his game though. It's hard with QB's because you want a QB to exhaust a play and not just run if there's any sort of lane. That's what CK did sometimes and then struggled exhausting passing concepts.

That was a miss. Perhaps weather conditions had him not wanting to risk the shot throw? I'm wondering if we've shown this play before in prior weeks and that's why the safety went rocketing towards Kittle. Its almost like JImmy isn't believe a dude would bust like that. It's a helleva lot better showing these at 6-0 and winning because if we had lost this woulda been a killer.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Oct 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM ]
  • thl408
Okay here's a shot play that worked and it might have been a TD. We've all seen this play before where the WR/TE will leak out and go deep. Goodwin scored on a similar play versus TB in week 1. Here, Bourne is the WR to sneak out of the formation.

Playaction. Kittle sifts behind the OL and that draws red CB towards the middle of the field. I think WAS is in a Cover3 so red should be gaining depth to cover his deep 1/3.

Jimmy looks to his left and that pulls the middle deep safety (blue) over to Pettis, away from where Bourne is going. Red CB has decided to match Toilolo, abandoning his deep 1/3 responsibility.

Bourne attacks the deep 1/3 zone vacated by red CB.

+26. Jimmy leads Bourne a bit more I think it's a TD.

jd showed some plays where Jimmy used his eyes to move defenders. Here's another example of that. Jimmy normally does this well against zone which is why when he didn't do it on the interception, it was so noteworthy.
Share 49ersWebzone