There are 224 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Is Emmanuel Moseley a future starting CB for this team? He started 3 games, but really has not been tested often due to various reasons (Baker Mayfield and the Browns offense really struggling, and the field condition in DC).

We know Kyle schemed to cover our backup tackles. Have we schemed defensively to cover Moseley, if yes how often? In the end do you think he will be a solid starting CB under this scheme?
Originally posted by littleken:
Is Emmanuel Moseley a future starting CB for this team? He started 3 games, but really has not been tested often due to various reasons (Baker Mayfield and the Browns offense really struggling, and the field condition in DC).

We know Kyle schemed to cover our backup tackles. Have we schemed defensively to cover Moseley, if yes how often? In the end do you think he will be a solid starting CB under this scheme?

No. It's been next man up in this scheme. We still play a lot of cover-3, so he's out on an island on deep and intermediate stuff on his side. Just playing well. Playing behind that D-line sure helps though. Doesn't have to cover long.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by littleken:
Is Emmanuel Moseley a future starting CB for this team? He started 3 games, but really has not been tested often due to various reasons (Baker Mayfield and the Browns offense really struggling, and the field condition in DC).

We know Kyle schemed to cover our backup tackles. Have we schemed defensively to cover Moseley, if yes how often? In the end do you think he will be a solid starting CB under this scheme?

No. It's been next man up in this scheme. We still play a lot of cover-3, so he's out on an island on deep and intermediate stuff on his side. Just playing well. Playing behind that D-line sure helps though. Doesn't have to cover long.

Good to know. Thanks!
Under appreciated performance from Jimmy in this game. The films don't lie
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 12,988
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

This is gonna cover the Jimmy G INT and the 3rd down conversion on a 40 yard pass to richie James.

Great breakdown. Right after the INT my first thought was "gotta hold the safety a little longer" but you couldn't see the backside route on the broadcast. This shows how close JG is to really lighting it up. If he holds the safety there and throws that TD, all of a sudden his numbers look pretty good. I wish people would stop focusing so much on the stats/results and really look at these more important aspects of his game - that when done right, have amazing results.

The haters will say that "Shanahan schemed Richie James open" because he's so wide open. When in reality it's JG's eyes and shoulders that manipulate the defenders in such a manner that it creates an easy chunk play like this. Plays like that are his ceiling. As he starts doing this 8-10 times a game, and eliminates the mistakes/bad throws, we will have an elite QB on our hands.

In your opinion, do you think he can get there by the playoffs this year? Or realistically is the timetable 2-3 years (as it is for most QB's)?
Originally posted by Furlow:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
.be

This is gonna cover the Jimmy G INT and the 3rd down conversion on a 40 yard pass to richie James.

Great breakdown. Right after the INT my first thought was "gotta hold the safety a little longer" but you couldn't see the backside route on the broadcast. This shows how close JG is to really lighting it up. If he holds the safety there and throws that TD, all of a sudden his numbers look pretty good. I wish people would stop focusing so much on the stats/results and really look at these more important aspects of his game - that when done right, have amazing results.

The haters will say that "Shanahan schemed Richie James open" because he's so wide open. When in reality it's JG's eyes and shoulders that manipulate the defenders in such a manner that it creates an easy chunk play like this. Plays like that are his ceiling. As he starts doing this 8-10 times a game, and eliminates the mistakes/bad throws, we will have an elite QB on our hands.

In your opinion, do you think he can get there by the playoffs this year? Or realistically is the timetable 2-3 years (as it is for most QB's)?
I think he can. Should get better thr more comfortable he gets when we have our tackles back
Film analysis highlights: snap ball don't fumble, hand off to RB put in the pocket firmly, RB cross grasp the ball and don't lose it.

Just watch what happens to Justin Skule on this play. It's tough being an olineman.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 25,008
The first 49er pass play of the game was a good indicator of what type of day it was going to be for the passing game. Goodwin ran a deep curl where he took way too many steps then a couple more hops just to breakdown, come to a stop, and curl back. The wet condition nullified the 49ers' best assets with their skill position players - quickness and ability to change directions. Goodwin, Pettis, James, Coleman, Breida all are quick, agile players and the wet field was the best defender in this game.

I still saw the 49ers dial up some shots to get chunk plays and it worked once - Bourne's big catch down to the 5 yard line. I'll show some of these shot plays and how they didn't materialize, and some of the red zone chances that didn't work out. That made it a field goal fest. The 49ers ability to convert on 3rd down was a big factor this game.

WAS only ran 41 plays and 13 of those came on their first drive. Whenever Keenum dropped back to pass, it was usually a bad outcome for WAS. They tried to give him some easy screens but only one of those worked. Outside of the first drive of the game where they had success running the ball, the 49ers were able to buckle down and limit the ground game too. I'll show some of the key defensive stops.

  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 25,008
On their first drive, WAS ran the ball 10 times for 68 yards. Just like the Rams the previous week, they had a plan to run against the 49ers D.

This is the first play of WAS's second drive. WAS is running some sort of inside zone. The 49ers also show a 5 man front. This was a 2017/18 thing when the 49ers used the under shift, but 5 man fronts hasn't been used much, if at all, this season. With teams trying to run, the 49ers may have to go to this if their wide 9 isn't getting the job done with run defense. The 49ers come out with a bearish front, playing with a 0t, 3t, and 4i to help tighten up the interior gaps.


JTaylor shows his strength and stands up the center. We saw him do the same on a 4th and 1 later in the game.
Both the LT and LG double team Day. I do not know why teams think they can block Bosa with a TE. That's not happening.


Kwon sees and shoots the gap. Bosa does a good job of holding the edge and being patient. It's easy to plow ahead, dominate the TE, but possibly get out of position. Bosa is the force defender and executes his assignment, not trying to do more than he's supposed to.


-1. Taylor clogs the middle, Kwon forces the bounce outside, but Bosa is there to collect the TFL.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 25,008
2Q 1st & 10
This is the first shot play the 49ers dial up. It's a play that allows Juice to fake a lead block on the Mike then burst upfield for a chunk play. The 49ers use Dwelley in Juice's place. WAS in Fire Zone Blitz (3 deep, 3 under).


Playaction FB lead play. Dwelley fakes the lead block. Brunskill gets worked on this play and gives up the pressure.


This is when Jimmy should be starting his throw to Dwelley but he's busy doing a Michael Vick impression.


+7 on the scramble. Dwelley had a step on the Mike, but quick pressure didn't allow this play to work.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 25,008
2Q 1st & 10
49ers dial up another shot play to try and get some chunk yardage. They use another play that is usually ran for Juice, but use Dwelley in his place. WAS in man coverage.


Playaction. Dwelley fakes the run block but will go vertical. Kittle's release is made to run a partial pick on the yellow LB who is in man coverage on Dwelley. Dwelley partially stumbles off the line.


The stumble doesn't allow Dwelley to get any separation as the LB cuts off Dwelley's route. With Kittle doubled and the two WRs far side, this play is dead.


Thrown away incomplete. 49ers trying again to hit for an explosive gain but it doesn't work out.
Originally posted by thl408:
2Q 1st & 10
This is the first shot play the 49ers dial up. It's a play that allows Juice to fake a lead block on the Mike then burst upfield for a chunk play. The 49ers use Dwelley in Juice's place. WAS in Fire Zone Blitz (3 deep, 3 under).


Playaction FB lead play. Dwelley fakes the lead block. Brunskill gets worked on this play and gives up the pressure.


This is when Jimmy should be starting his throw to Dwelley but he's busy doing a Michael Vick impression.


+7 on the scramble. Dwelley had a step on the Mike, but quick pressure didn't allow this play to work.

dam so close to a big play. Good info and analysis.
Good work jd and thl!
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Oct 22, 2019 at 10:28 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone