There are 72 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Niners816:
Just a question.....from watching the game again, did it feel like we used more jet motion than usual? That was my feeling watching live. I kinda chalked it up to using it to help the T and attempting to slow down that DE/LB on the side the motion was coming at. I was just wondering if my feelings were backed up by film.

It feels like this season the 49ers have used more jet motion when compared to last season. But compared to other games this season I don't know. It's funny because the 49ers rarely give it to the WR on the jet motion, yet it often accomplishes its purpose in the run game to distract box defenders.

49er WRs have a total of 4 carries this season (Kittle has one). Compared that to the Rams, who also use lots of jet motion, they have 14 carries between their WRs. Not sure if any of those are WR screens that were thrown backwards (counts as a carry in boxscore).

Maybe I was just kinda seeing it more because I had a feeling that we may see it to help with the injuries at tackle. Defenses still account for it....its a great little item for any offense. Would love to see Goodwin get one an go about 70 yards sometime this year.

As soon as Jimmy sees the red safety come down, he knows it's MOFClosed. He just needs to see post snap which seam the blue safety is not able to defend and target that one.

It looks like JG could have gone to Goodwin as well. The FS was already turned to Pettis' direction and started full speed when he saw JG head turn to Pettis. JG could have easily glanced at Pettis and come back to Goodwin.

The throw to Pettis probably gets batted down if JG wasn't so quick with his release.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hope I don't get banned for this, but in this video break down it looks as if Jimmy stares down his blanket and misses the really open receiver. I love the work you do in the video analysis jonny, but the way you say hes reading the defense when it really seems like he just shuts down the other side of the field because hes more comfortable just looking and staring down his security blanket (kittle) instead of playing the whole field. Had he hit that open receiver instead of kittle the chances of breaking a tackle against 1 safety (weddle) is better than 2 players.

https://gyazo.com/4a7d7f7eb21a31380cd1f111c1c1f3ca

I mean I just say this because pocket was clean and good, if he was really reading the defense he'll read the whole field just not his security blanket. We made the 3rd down completion regardless, but thats just another view of it. I bring this up also because of that complete stare down of that receiver that should've been a pick 6 by the defender in the game. Please don't ban me admins for having a different opinion.

p.s. I would like to give kudos to Jimmy G for getting them to go offsides mulitple times... something I brought up earlier in this thread.

I was rewatching as well and I thought Deebo was open too but looking at the pocket and pressure Jimmy was under he didn't have time to see if Deebo was going to come open - he's in the endzone making a pass, he's just got to get the ball out early and safely.

A couple things to consider there.
1. Deebo is going to be 3rd in the progression. QB's aren't coached to jump from 2nd to 3rd in the progression because the 3rd might be open even if the 2nd is open. He'll take a glance out on the streak to look for a quick win(like immediate win) then quickly move to #2, if that's open, especially on 3rd down, you throw it.
2. He's throwing from his own endzone. There's a lot of bad things that can happen there and only 1 of them good. We're not looking to put up points in that situation, it was right before the 2 minute warning backed up that far, so I think Kyle's thought is, "get a first down and don't let the Rams get the ball again with good field position" not "we can get a score here".
3. He's got 2 backup tackles in and his O-line going against A. Donald. He gets strip sacked it's either a safety or a TD, he gets sacked it's a safety and the Rams get the ball, one of his lineman gets called for holding it's a safety. That's a dangerous place to throw from so I have zero problem with him going to the first open side or even working his "safety blanket". We ended up moving the ball down into scoring range but Gould missed a 55 yarder.

This could be a pick-a-side type of play. To Jimmy's right is the Fade-Out, like jd described in his video. That's good to attack the flat versus a curl/flat defender, or man coverage if the Out route can win outside leverage.
Orange + purple is the Sucker concept which is good versus a Hook defender. Jimmy's presnap read was man coverage, so that's why he looked to the Fade-Out. Sucker isn't as effective versus man.
But as jd stated in the vid, Rams are playing tricks here by giving a presnap read of man coverage, but actually is playing zone.

Versus Cover3, Sucker can work to vertically stretch a Hook defender (orange). Orange stays with Pettis' snag route, so that frees up Deebo.

But considering game situation and field position, I think getting the ball out quickly is a high priority. I don't think either choice, working the Fade-Out or the Sucker, is a wrong choice. Big credit to Kittle here for reading zone and sitting down instead of running a quick Out. Good chemistry on display here between Kittle and Jimmy.

The way I see it, it's just one of those situations where Jimmy incorrectly read the cover scheme but his throwing ability combined with 43 jumping to the flat made up for it. Jimmy's quick release punished 43's quick misstep.

The CB on the top revealed it was zone just before the snap. If Jimmy sees that fall back, the read is easily for Jimmy to look at #24 to see which WR, Deebo or Pettis, #24 commits too.
[ Edited by Joecool on Oct 18, 2019 at 8:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Buchy:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
I hope I don't get banned for this, but in this video break down it looks as if Jimmy stares down his blanket and misses the really open receiver. I love the work you do in the video analysis jonny, but the way you say hes reading the defense when it really seems like he just shuts down the other side of the field because hes more comfortable just looking and staring down his security blanket (kittle) instead of playing the whole field. Had he hit that open receiver instead of kittle the chances of breaking a tackle against 1 safety (weddle) is better than 2 players.

https://gyazo.com/4a7d7f7eb21a31380cd1f111c1c1f3ca

I mean I just say this because pocket was clean and good, if he was really reading the defense he'll read the whole field just not his security blanket. We made the 3rd down completion regardless, but thats just another view of it. I bring this up also because of that complete stare down of that receiver that should've been a pick 6 by the defender in the game. Please don't ban me admins for having a different opinion.

p.s. I would like to give kudos to Jimmy G for getting them to go offsides mulitple times... something I brought up earlier in this thread.

I was rewatching as well and I thought Deebo was open too but looking at the pocket and pressure Jimmy was under he didn't have time to see if Deebo was going to come open - he's in the endzone making a pass, he's just got to get the ball out early and safely.

A couple things to consider there.
1. Deebo is going to be 3rd in the progression. QB's aren't coached to jump from 2nd to 3rd in the progression because the 3rd might be open even if the 2nd is open. He'll take a glance out on the streak to look for a quick win(like immediate win) then quickly move to #2, if that's open, especially on 3rd down, you throw it.
2. He's throwing from his own endzone. There's a lot of bad things that can happen there and only 1 of them good. We're not looking to put up points in that situation, it was right before the 2 minute warning backed up that far, so I think Kyle's thought is, "get a first down and don't let the Rams get the ball again with good field position" not "we can get a score here".
3. He's got 2 backup tackles in and his O-line going against A. Donald. He gets strip sacked it's either a safety or a TD, he gets sacked it's a safety and the Rams get the ball, one of his lineman gets called for holding it's a safety. That's a dangerous place to throw from so I have zero problem with him going to the first open side or even working his "safety blanket". We ended up moving the ball down into scoring range but Gould missed a 55 yarder.

This could be a pick-a-side type of play. To Jimmy's right is the Fade-Out, like jd described in his video. That's good to attack the flat versus a curl/flat defender, or man coverage if the Out route can win outside leverage.
Orange + purple is the Sucker concept which is good versus a Hook defender. Jimmy's presnap read was man coverage, so that's why he looked to the Fade-Out. Sucker isn't as effective versus man.
But as jd stated in the vid, Rams are playing tricks here by giving a presnap read of man coverage, but actually is playing zone.

Versus Cover3, Sucker can work to vertically stretch a Hook defender (orange). Orange stays with Pettis' snag route, so that frees up Deebo.

But considering game situation and field position, I think getting the ball out quickly is a high priority. I don't think either choice, working the Fade-Out or the Sucker, is a wrong choice. Big credit to Kittle here for reading zone and sitting down instead of running a quick Out. Good chemistry on display here between Kittle and Jimmy.

The way I see it, it's just one of those situations where Jimmy incorrectly read the cover scheme but his throwing ability combined with 43 jumping to the flat made up for it. Jimmy's quick release punished 43's quick misstep.

The CB on the top revealed it was zone just before the snap. If Jimmy sees that fall back, the read is easily for Jimmy to look at #24 to see which WR, Deebo or Pettis, #24 commits too.
Remember, though. They're in shotgun using a fake silent count, then snap, the corner you're talking about doesn't bail til after the silent. So, jimmy would have to be looking out at the corner during the snapping of the ball.
Originally posted by Joecool:
As soon as Jimmy sees the red safety come down, he knows it's MOFClosed. He just needs to see post snap which seam the blue safety is not able to defend and target that one.

It looks like JG could have gone to Goodwin as well. The FS was already turned to Pettis' direction and started full speed when he saw JG head turn to Pettis. JG could have easily glanced at Pettis and come back to Goodwin.

The throw to Pettis probably gets batted down if JG wasn't so quick with his release.

Go listen to Shanny's presser. He talked about this play. It was part of the gameplan to throw to Pettis because they thought they could hold Weddle with Goodwin's route. At the snap Jimmy gives a quick head to Goodwins wide, it's just window dressing to hold Weddle. Weddle just doesn't do any of it. That's just Jimmy executing Kyle's play and gameplan
  • thl408
Remember, though. They're in shotgun using a fake silent count, then snap, the corner you're talking about doesn't bail til after the silent. So, jimmy would have to be looking out at the corner during the snapping of the ball.

Good point. This is an example of a con to being in shotgun. Instead of perhaps being able to see that cornerback bail if Jimmy was under center, he's looking at Richburg's butt.
Go listen to Shanny's presser. He talked about this play. It was part of the gameplan to throw to Pettis because they thought they could hold Weddle with Goodwin's route. At the snap Jimmy gives a quick head to Goodwins wide, it's just window dressing to hold Weddle. Weddle just doesn't do any of it. That's just Jimmy executing Kyle's play and gameplan

I remember hearing that in the presser.....That was a dot throw.

From the looks of it, the throw to Goodwin would have been tough to keep in bounds.
.be

I think Jimmy could have looked Weddle off just a scosch longer before the throw and it might have been a TD.

• Goatie
  • Veteran
Reading this thread and watching Jonnydels' clips should be compulsory on the webzone. Particularly with some of the silly stuff said in the JG thread today

Well, it was a slugfest in the mud bowl. A lot of things, like Shanahan said, were hard to judge the performance on because you could see players were just not moving nearly as fast as they normally would. So, there's a little less to look at in terms of analyzing things. So, won't have a lengthy writeup.

The first half was sloppy for both teams all around. We were sloppy in the run game, definitely in the pass game and it was a miserable game to watch in the first half.

Defense is definitely elite. So, that's cool. Will jump to the review
.be

This is gonna cover the Jimmy G INT and the 3rd down conversion on a 40 yard pass to richie James.
.be

Looks like everyone is off in the Sanders thread, lol. well......shoot.....
I'm here, I'm here
Share 49erswebzone