There are 56 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Well, the first play I was planning on doing was Jimmy's INT. I could see what happened from the broadcast. In real time I was upset with him, then when I saw the replay I realized what happened and it isn't as bad as it seems. It was kind of like last week's INT but in reverse, if that makes sense. Instead of a CB biting on an underneath route, the corner bailed.

Good stuff.

I have gamepass and was watching the coaches film on the Bengals game, and I can't make up who blew their coverage on Byrd's big catch on the 2nd drive. Was in Witherspoon or Williams? Seems like Witherspoon is playing man and Williams is playing zone. Interested in seeing you break that play down.

I've seen that same play run against us several times the past few years so I saw it right off the bat. Williams has to turn and run with that. We run a system where we're in zone, but we'll match certain routes into man. So, for example, with that receiver going vertical Witherspoon turns to man after a certain amount of yards ,determined by how they want to play it. Williams then is responsible to match wheel routes.

It's that damn Switch Verticals route combo that has plagued this defense and other Cover 3 defenses. It's such a problematic concept because it breaks this Cover3 pattern match style of coverage the 49ers play. I'll show two ways to defend this. Easiest way is what you said, for the curl/flat defender to match #2.

Odd that you don't see the all22 yet. I was able to see it last night. No idea why time zone has to do with when you get to see it.
If anything I should get it first, I'm in the CST zone.

Check out bosa on the stunt 13:01 - the Cincy drive after Jimmy's INT. It was the play that Dalton got flagged for illegal forward pass. He should've had a sack but got held so badly.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Well, the first play I was planning on doing was Jimmy's INT. I could see what happened from the broadcast. In real time I was upset with him, then when I saw the replay I realized what happened and it isn't as bad as it seems. It was kind of like last week's INT but in reverse, if that makes sense. Instead of a CB biting on an underneath route, the corner bailed.

Good stuff.

I have gamepass and was watching the coaches film on the Bengals game, and I can't make up who blew their coverage on Byrd's big catch on the 2nd drive. Was in Witherspoon or Williams? Seems like Witherspoon is playing man and Williams is playing zone. Interested in seeing you break that play down.

I've seen that same play run against us several times the past few years so I saw it right off the bat. Williams has to turn and run with that. We run a system where we're in zone, but we'll match certain routes into man. So, for example, with that receiver going vertical Witherspoon turns to man after a certain amount of yards ,determined by how they want to play it. Williams then is responsible to match wheel routes.

It's that damn Switch Verticals route combo that has plagued this defense and other Cover 3 defenses. It's such a problematic concept because it breaks this Cover3 pattern match style of coverage the 49ers play. I'll show two ways to defend this. Easiest way is what you said, for the curl/flat defender to match #2.

Odd that you don't see the all22 yet. I was able to see it last night. No idea why time zone has to do with when you get to see it.

Are you missing any of the plays? It's like every 10th play or so there'll be 2 plays that just won't load. Don't know what's up with that. I can click on any play but the ones that won't load and they pop up instantly.
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 19,536
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Are you missing any of the plays? It's like every 10th play or so there'll be 2 plays that just won't load. Don't know what's up with that. I can click on any play but the ones that won't load and they pop up instantly.

Yes I have that issue too. Was about to PM you about it. At the bottom where it is supposed to list the time of video, it says "undefined". Most plays aren't like this but some are. I want my money back.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Are you missing any of the plays? It's like every 10th play or so there'll be 2 plays that just won't load. Don't know what's up with that. I can click on any play but the ones that won't load and they pop up instantly.

Yes I have that issue too. Was about to PM you about it. At the bottom where it is supposed to list the time of video, it says "undefined". Most plays aren't like this but some are. I want my money back.

Yeah, it's stupid. Jimmy's INT play is like this, Blair's sack, DeFo's sack....some big plays in the game aren't there.
It's actually a lot more than you'd think. Every play after our last TD is missing......

I was really interested to take a look at Skule but there's only 2 plays of his that are there.....that's friggen dumb. They better fix that!
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 19,536
Thread merge. Will merge weekly film threads to this thread.
get ready for talk of spider 2 y banana!!!!
Originally posted by jonnydel:
get ready for talk of spider 2 y banana!!!!

I think that's a drink Chucky orders at Jamba Juice.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
get ready for talk of spider 2 y banana!!!!



Can you guys tell me if my gut feeling was right and this was the first play flipped in the second half. I haven't watched a replay but this was my guess. Taken right from papa Shanny's book:


I am sure it was similar, getting 5 guys across the field to horizontally stretch the undercoverage... the combos, formations, and routes change, get reinvented, get reused over the decades, what never changes are the concepts.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
get ready for talk of spider 2 y banana!!!!



Can you guys tell me if my gut feeling was right and this was the first play flipped in the second half. I haven't watched a replay but this was my guess. Taken right from papa Shanny's book:


very similar. The backs went out their side though, didn't do the mesh concept.
Shanny and Andy both get big results from the same concept on the same day lol




Whatsup all you faithful in the zone!?!?!

Another week and, incredibly enough, another week of watching winning football. We're not used to that kind of stuff around here. There were a lot of good things to see in the game, always things to improve upon but it was a lot of good.

First, we'll talk about the different units:

OFFENSE: Kyle's gameplan was awesome, no doubt. It was focused on a lot of east/west horizontal movement that had the Bengals defenders spinning. They were never sure which way the ball was going to go and it made them play hesitantly. There were plays we had multiple guys open and the Bengals never had an answer. Some of it was also just the skill of our players. That's when you have the great mix of a great offensive coach, with great players, it's really hard to stop. Jimmy played a really solid game. Sure, he was given some easy throws but he also had some plays that were what made us fall in love in the first place. His INT looked worse than it was during the broadcast, it was some of his inexperience coming through.

DEFENSE: It all started up front. Those guys had Dalton on an accelerated clock all game. It made him miss throws, hurry throws and be skiddish all day. They absolutely stuffed the run and controlled the game.

Lots of great stuff to see and so we'll dive right in!


Plays covered:
1. 11:50 1st qtr, pass to Juice in the flat
2. TD to Goodwin
3. 6:35 1st qtr, 14 yard pass to Goodwin
4. 4:42, 1st qtr, Jimmy 9 yard scramble
5. 4:00 1st qtr, counter run with Breida
6. 2:42 1st qtr Screen pass to Mostert
Share 49erswebzone