LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Patiently waiting for the Bengals film analysis.

A little sneak peek of what I'm sure will be the first play cut up

Originally posted by Niners816:

Didn't they ran this play a whole bunch with Vernon and Alex Smith...and then it stop working, or Harbaugh didn't know what else to do to keep defense from smelling it out
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Didn't they ran this play a whole bunch with Vernon and Alex Smith...and then it stop working, or Harbaugh didn't know what else to do to keep defense from smelling it out

It was similar....I believe with Harbs it was based off of a counter run and we usually did it out of 22 in TE
Wing type forms. The thing with Kyle is we run it so much with tons of personnel groupings and we've know seen a FB (Juice last year in KC), a TE (Kittle dropping a wide open on in Minny last year) and now our fastest WR get wide open on this. What's great is as soon as defenders start keying on the sneak route that helps open up those crossers.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

It was similar....I believe with Harbs it was based off of a counter run and we usually did it out of 22 in TE
Wing type forms. The thing with Kyle is we run it so much with tons of personnel groupings and we've know seen a FB (Juice last year in KC), a TE (Kittle dropping a wide open on in Minny last year) and now our fastest WR get wide open on this. What's great is as soon as defenders start keying on the sneak route that helps open up those crossers.

Must be one of those trickery plays out of Kyle Cinci CB William Jackson was talking about lol

Me too....me too. They haven't released the coaches film yet. So it's at least going to be a couple hours. Most likely won't have the thread up until after 10 AM PST

Well, the first play I was planning on doing was Jimmy's INT. I could see what happened from the broadcast. In real time I was upset with him, then when I saw the replay I realized what happened and it isn't as bad as it seems. It was kind of like last week's INT but in reverse, if that makes sense. Instead of a CB biting on an underneath route, the corner bailed.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Well, the first play I was planning on doing was Jimmy's INT. I could see what happened from the broadcast. In real time I was upset with him, then when I saw the replay I realized what happened and it isn't as bad as it seems. It was kind of like last week's INT but in reverse, if that makes sense. Instead of a CB biting on an underneath route, the corner bailed.

Good stuff.

I have gamepass and was watching the coaches film on the Bengals game, and I can't make up who blew their coverage on Byrd's big catch on the 2nd drive. Was in Witherspoon or Williams? Seems like Witherspoon is playing man and Williams is playing zone. Interested in seeing you break that play down.
Originally posted by CullyInTheHouse:

Good stuff.

I have gamepass and was watching the coaches film on the Bengals game, and I can't make up who blew their coverage on Byrd's big catch on the 2nd drive. Was in Witherspoon or Williams? Seems like Witherspoon is playing man and Williams is playing zone. Interested in seeing you break that play down.

You can see the coaches film of the bengals game already???? Mine's not available yet for anything but the Thursday night game *angry face*

Good stuff.

I've seen that same play run against us several times the past few years so I saw it right off the bat. Williams has to turn and run with that. We run a system where we're in zone, but we'll match certain routes into man. So, for example, with that receiver going vertical Witherspoon turns to man after a certain amount of yards ,determined by how they want to play it. Williams then is responsible to match wheel routes.

Me too....me too. They haven't released the coaches film yet. So it's at least going to be a couple hours. Most likely won't have the thread up until after 10 AM PST

I've seen that same play run against us several times the past few years so I saw it right off the bat. Williams has to turn and run with that. We run a system where we're in zone, but we'll match certain routes into man. So, for example, with that receiver going vertical Witherspoon turns to man after a certain amount of yards ,determined by how they want to play it. Williams then is responsible to match wheel routes.

Exactly what I figured. Thank you!

So we were in match up zone there and Williams just didn't carry that route.

So coaches film is up and running for you yet or no?

Just a bad case of not having enough "it"? Or is this where not having that dog in him really shows up....
  • thl408

Good stuff.

It's that damn Switch Verticals route combo that has plagued this defense and other Cover 3 defenses. It's such a problematic concept because it breaks this Cover3 pattern match style of coverage the 49ers play. I'll show two ways to defend this. Easiest way is what you said, for the curl/flat defender to match #2.

Odd that you don't see the all22 yet. I was able to see it last night. No idea why time zone has to do with when you get to see it.
Originally posted by thl408:

Good stuff.

It's that damn Switch Verticals route combo that has plagued this defense and other Cover 3 defenses. It's such a problematic concept because it breaks this Cover3 pattern match style of coverage the 49ers play. I'll show two ways to defend this. Easiest way is what you said, for the curl/flat defender to match #2.

Odd that you don't see the all22 yet. I was able to see it last night. No idea why time zone has to do with when you get to see it.
If anything I should get it first, I'm in the CST zone.
Originally posted by thl408:

Good stuff.

If anything I should get it first, I'm in the CST zone.

Check out bosa on the stunt 13:01 - the Cincy drive after Jimmy's INT. It was the play that Dalton got flagged for illegal forward pass. He should've had a sack but got held so badly.
Share 49ersWebzone