LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 271 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Niners816:
This shouldn't surprise anyone but I'm gonna say Grant is full of f**king s**t.....I looked at the play by play on nfl.com and downloaded the official game log and it tells which plays are in gun. I counted 29 shotgun plays(and this may be a little high because I'm sure there were some penalties on some). We ran a total of 60 plays. That's under 50% of total plays in the gun. Moral of the story is Grant Cohn is a clown and there really wasn't anything too drastic UC vs Gun. 66% of our pass attempts were from the gun on Sunday and that up a tick from 61% last year. Jimmy did complete 72% from the gun on Sunday.

I just went through the entire game and also counted 29 shotgun plays. I have no idea where Grant Cohn got 70%. I'm going to delete that tweet from my post. Don't want to spread misinformation.
[ Edited by Heroism on Sep 13, 2019 at 10:29 PM ]
Originally posted by thl408:
We know his tendencies by now. Let's see if game 1 was gameplan specific or some odd evolution in his offense. My theory on so few OZ runs (charted earlier this thread) is that it was so hot and he didn't want to run the OL.

That makes sense.

I thought maybe Kyle didn't want to run Jimmy too much on the boot stuff with him still recovering from the knee and all.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Heroism:
That makes sense.

I thought maybe Kyle didn't want to run Jimmy too much on the boot stuff with him still recovering from the knee and all.
The better outside zone works the more bootlegs will be dialed up. 49ers had 29 runs (not counting kneels), I counted 5 outside zone, if I'm wrong it's off by 1 or 2. There's no way Kyle suddenly got away from outside zone. Game 1 too small a sample. I need some damn new game film news .

+5 +4 0 +8 0
were the five OZ runs I saw. So it wasn't terrible. They just didn't want to run it.
[ Edited by thl408 on Sep 13, 2019 at 10:37 PM ]
RIP Outside zone
  • thl408
RIP Outside zone
Keep same five OL.
Overhaul the run scheme.
That makes sense.

The better outside zone works the more bootlegs will be dialed up. 49ers had 29 runs (not counting kneels), I counted 5 outside zone, if I'm wrong it's off by 1 or 2. There's no way Kyle suddenly got away from outside zone. Game 1 too small a sample. I need some damn new game film news .

All Grant's s**t was to try to paint it that Shanny has drastically changed his offense because Jimmy G. He does this because he has the biggest hard on for Mullen's.

Some facts: Kyle has been at almost 60% of his passing game from the gun for years. Hell his number was over 70% with RGIII. So I'd say on average we are in the gun about 50% or less when you factor in the run game.

Grant might as well have said we ran 70.4 % from the wishbone...that would have the same factual elements as his real tweet.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 13, 2019 at 10:41 PM ]
  • Buchy
  • Veteran
That makes sense.

+5 +4 0 +8 0
were the five OZ runs I saw. So it wasn't terrible. They just didn't want to run it.

I posted on the Jimmy thread - I think Shannny designed a conservative gameplan tailored to the heat and humidity as well as Jimmy coming back from injury.

We're over-reacting to everything without really factoring in the environmental conditions in Tampa, week 1 was about easing the team in and avoiding injury.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

So any guesses as to why Kyle was all over Jimmy on the sideline after this play...

Should Jimmy gone back to the Kittle route since the safety jumped on the KB route?

AGree. Kittle was open.

Kittle wasn't open, watch the other angle, there was a safety back there that would've picked it. Maybe he wanted JG to lead KB into the middle of the field which was wide open for a TD.
We know his tendencies by now. Let's see if game 1 was gameplan specific or some odd evolution in his offense. My theory on so few OZ runs (charted earlier this thread) is that it was so hot and he didn't want to run the OL.

That makes sense.

I think some of it had to do with where the bubble was. More a reaction to TB's defense. They were in that bear front apt with the OLB's in a 9 tech so there was a bubble between the DE in a 3 tech and the OLB.
Originally posted by FaTaL:
That's his side, the play call was moronic

I agree the playcall was but if they really wanted to throw it to Coleman. They should've had him do a double move since Hargrave was sitting and already intent on jumping the route.

oh nice didn't know you started a YouTube series.

Subbed.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Jimmy G really needs to knock off the rust. He had bourne wide open with a clean pocket and he takes a loss of yard????

Bourne was even waving his arms and he still didn't see him Kap-like.
Originally posted by Niners816:
gg

The greatest 22 personnel formation there is

Finally, a TV angle that captures everyone. LOL
Everyone should subscribe and like Johnydels YouTube videos. Show the man some love webzone!
Patiently waiting for the Bengals film analysis.
Share 49ersWebzone