There are 70 users in the forums

Coaches Film Analysis: 2019 Season

Shop Find 49ers gear online ⇨
Originally posted by thl408:
Yeah if Jimmy places that ball to the inside as if he's leading Bourne to the Post, it's picked off. That's why it looks like Jimmy was throwing that as if he expected Bourne to Curl, not break to the Post.

What I like about Kyle's offense is you really can gets a lot of clues from his dad's scheme. Here's elder Shanny's Hank:



It looks as if there's a man/zone read avail on the curls.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Izyniner:
Dr Originally posted by thl408:
This is the play where Jimmy misfired when targeting Bourne, then when they lined up for a field goal, the cameras showed Kyle talking to Jimmy, not looking happy.
2Q 3rd & 13
This play is a deviation/spinoff of the "Hank" concept (shown at end of post). The read for Jimmy is inside-out. So he starts with yellow route as the first read, then progresses left or right, then high to low. So for example, yellow - red - orange. Bucs are in Quarters coverage.


Jimmy takes a rather quick dropback and looks to Kittle, but Kittle has yet to clear past the LBs, he's not open. Bourne stems his release outside to get the CB backpeddling and widening away from the middle of the field.

Jimmy is mid throwing motion. The red star is where Jimmy is throwing to, but Bourne is breaking to the Post. If Bourne runs a Curl, this throw has a chance to be completed. Not sure what's supposed to happen - if Bourne is supposed to make a leverage read then sight adjust, or what.

The CB actually gets his hand on the ball. Some sort of miscommunication.

Hank:

I am wondering if that throw has more to do with the safety breaking towards Bourne. If the ball is placed so Bourne can catch it it looks like a possible pick six.

Yeah if Jimmy places that ball to the inside as if he's leading Bourne to the Post, it's picked off. That's why it looks like Jimmy was throwing that as if he expected Bourne to Curl, not break to the Post.

Ya when i saw that play at first i was yelling at Jimmy. Rewinded, and realized that was a smart throw. Bourne shouldve realized the out route was open and adjusted.
Originally posted by thl408:
That worked. Let's try it to the other side. Very next play. Same personnel.


Jet sweep is just eye candy.


+13

Deebo coasts in the backfield. If he had sprinted hard around the edge he might have been in position to cross Breida's path and block #31, the last guy with a chance to tackle Breida.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by thl408:
Yeah if Jimmy places that ball to the inside as if he's leading Bourne to the Post, it's picked off. That's why it looks like Jimmy was throwing that as if he expected Bourne to Curl, not break to the Post.

What I like about Kyle's offense is you really can gets a lot of clues from his dad's scheme. Here's elder Shanny's Hank:



It looks as if there's a man/zone read avail on the curls.

I found an even better example of hank that shows the various adjustments to the curls. This is from 1994 Niner pass install. The bottom ones really show that out break. Perhaps this is what Jimmy was thinking.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 12, 2019 at 10:58 AM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 19,536
Originally posted by Niners816:
I found an even better example of hank that shows the various adjustments to the curls. This is from 1994 Niner pass install. The bottom ones really show that out break. Perhaps this is what Jimmy was thinking.

Hmm in none of those does the WR break to the Post. Then again, the 49ers were running a variation of Hank vs the Bucs - the flat routes pivoted inside and the middle Snag (Kittle) looked to get behind the LBs.
Originally posted by thl408:
Hmm in none of those does the WR break to the Post. Then again, the 49ers were running a variation of Hank vs the Bucs - the flat routes pivoted inside and the middle Snag (Kittle) looked to get behind the LBs.

Also a sloppy ran in-cut can look like a post....as for kittles route I've got another play in a Shanny's book that has a look just like that. The outside guys are running comebacks. Who knows...I'm sure it's variations.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
can we get an assessment of Jimmy G ? I saw a few plays where he had time to throw, was he just not looking or no one was open.

I'll show a few plays where he may have had a chance to make a play or he had time, didn't pull the trigger, and the TV view didn't show what was downfield. This is the play after the Kittle TD was nullified due to Juice's pass interference.
Smash concept to Jimmy's right (Cover 2 buster) + a triangle stretch to Jimmy's left. Bucs are going to play a Quarters shell with 4 underneath zone (they are rushing 3).
Jimmy takes the snap is going to work the triangle stretch the whole way, never looking towards Smash. The red + yellow routes are a horizontal stretch on the boundary safety. Yellow + green is a vertical stretch on the underneath zone defenders.


Bourne delays his release so that can trail behind Kittle - you can see Bourne slow off the line at the snap, that's intentional. When Kittle crosses the face of the boundary safety (blue) the horizontal stretch is on. If blue safety leans towards Kittle, Bourne is open on the Post. Red safety is occupied by Deebo's Corner route so red is not a factor. In this pic, Jimmy has to sidestep the pressure by Vea.


When Coleman flashes in front of the LBs, Coleman pulls them forward for the vertical stretch, which is supposed to make the passing window to Bourne's Post clearer. Jimmy is in the throwing motion here targeting Kittle. He had a better window to Bourne, directly in the middle of the field. If he forces Bourne to flatten his route by throwing into open space, I think there's a chance for a good gain.


Incomplete to Kittle.

Looks like Jimmy's trying to back shoulder/ throw Kittle open here and there was space but Kittle runs his route and doesn't expect this from Jimmy...

Jimmy and Kittle aren't on the same page here... Hopefully this gets better over time.
Originally posted by Niners816:
Originally posted by thl408:
Hmm in none of those does the WR break to the Post. Then again, the 49ers were running a variation of Hank vs the Bucs - the flat routes pivoted inside and the middle Snag (Kittle) looked to get behind the LBs.

Also a sloppy ran in-cut can look like a post....as for kittles route I've got another play in a Shanny's book that has a look just like that. The outside guys are running comebacks. Who knows...I'm sure it's variations.

Never mind this is what I was looking at and it's actually a shallow cross.....it has the deep snag and post if we are sure Bourne was a post. The Kittle Route is deeper here then on traditional hanks

Originally posted by nc49erfan:
Serious question where are the thoughts after watching the game I'm going through withdrawals

This Please!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 15,816
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Ya when i saw that play at first i was yelling at Jimmy. Rewinded, and realized that was a smart throw. Bourne shouldve realized the out route was open and adjusted.

I'm pretty sure with more practice reps and in-game reps, they'll hit that route more than they'll miss it later on in the year. Just takes some time and lots of reps to get those things nailed down.

Originally posted by matguy87:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
can we get an assessment of Jimmy G ? I saw a few plays where he had time to throw, was he just not looking or no one was open.

I'll show a few plays where he may have had a chance to make a play or he had time, didn't pull the trigger, and the TV view didn't show what was downfield. This is the play after the Kittle TD was nullified due to Juice's pass interference.
Smash concept to Jimmy's right (Cover 2 buster) + a triangle stretch to Jimmy's left. Bucs are going to play a Quarters shell with 4 underneath zone (they are rushing 3).
Jimmy takes the snap is going to work the triangle stretch the whole way, never looking towards Smash. The red + yellow routes are a horizontal stretch on the boundary safety. Yellow + green is a vertical stretch on the underneath zone defenders.


Bourne delays his release so that can trail behind Kittle - you can see Bourne slow off the line at the snap, that's intentional. When Kittle crosses the face of the boundary safety (blue) the horizontal stretch is on. If blue safety leans towards Kittle, Bourne is open on the Post. Red safety is occupied by Deebo's Corner route so red is not a factor. In this pic, Jimmy has to sidestep the pressure by Vea.


When Coleman flashes in front of the LBs, Coleman pulls them forward for the vertical stretch, which is supposed to make the passing window to Bourne's Post clearer. Jimmy is in the throwing motion here targeting Kittle. He had a better window to Bourne, directly in the middle of the field. If he forces Bourne to flatten his route by throwing into open space, I think there's a chance for a good gain.


Incomplete to Kittle.

Looks like Jimmy's trying to back shoulder/ throw Kittle open here and there was space but Kittle runs his route and doesn't expect this from Jimmy...

Jimmy and Kittle aren't on the same page here... Hopefully this gets better over time.

While look through the old Shanny's books I did find a pretty nasty looking variant on this scissors play
Texas whips out on this one. Also notice how it has the primary on that side as either the post or corner.
[ Edited by Niners816 on Sep 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM ]
  • thl408
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 19,536
Originally posted by matguy87:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
can we get an assessment of Jimmy G ? I saw a few plays where he had time to throw, was he just not looking or no one was open.

I'll show a few plays where he may have had a chance to make a play or he had time, didn't pull the trigger, and the TV view didn't show what was downfield. This is the play after the Kittle TD was nullified due to Juice's pass interference.
Smash concept to Jimmy's right (Cover 2 buster) + a triangle stretch to Jimmy's left. Bucs are going to play a Quarters shell with 4 underneath zone (they are rushing 3).
Jimmy takes the snap is going to work the triangle stretch the whole way, never looking towards Smash. The red + yellow routes are a horizontal stretch on the boundary safety. Yellow + green is a vertical stretch on the underneath zone defenders.

Looks like Jimmy's trying to back shoulder/ throw Kittle open here and there was space but Kittle runs his route and doesn't expect this from Jimmy...

Jimmy and Kittle aren't on the same page here... Hopefully this gets better over time.
Yeah when Jimmy decided to target Kittle, he knew he couldn't throw the corner because the CB was there so he tried to lead Kittle back to open space - towards the inside - like you said. Kittle was just running his route. Jimmy hoping for an on-the-fly adjustment there.
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by thl408:

+8

That's an outstanding block by Laken Tomlinson to cross Vita's face and seal him. I don't get why the board hates this guy. He's not a great player, but he's faaaaaar from a bum.

agreed!
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Originally posted by elguapo:
We just stopped a top Passing offense in the nfl. Rather easily. Their ol isn't that good however they may have the best 1-2 punch at wr and a kick ass te.

A top passing offense? Lmao. Did i miss the season where Winston was good?

They were the #1 passing offense in 2018 avg 320 yards a game. Bruce Arians is one of the best pass playcalling HCs in football. Winston blows by they can chuck the ball plenty and have some top end weapons there.
Originally posted by TheGore49er:
Fitz started the year and he was looking like a hof his first couple of games lol. He was over 400 yards. Then he went back to looking like Fitzpatrick. Winston had a couple of good games, but a bunch of 200 yard passing games, and D Jackson was fed up with his poor play too. Plus, hes not here this year. This wasnt a top passing offense. Middle if the pack is about right.

LOL These are not the droids you're looking for?
Share 49erswebzone