There are 168 users in the forums

The need for a Fullback?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by jonnydel:
Absolutely there is a need for a FB. Teams just fell in love with the idea of the passing game mismatches good receiving TE's create. But, that doesn't mean that FB's aren't extremely valuable and create mismatches in the run game. This actually gives me an idea for a whiteboard video I might do next week. SWEET!
Do it. Belichick talked about the differences between having a fullback versus having a 2nd TE. Both keep a defense's base personnel on the field, but they have pros and cons. Basically a FB adds versatility in the run game (movable gap) whereas a 2nd TE is better in the passing game (closer to the LoS, get into his route faster). The article with his comments was so old it's been removed from the internet, but here is a snippet below. I wish I had copied the entire article but didn't know it would be removed.

"But as far as your running gaps, I mean, you can put more width at the formation by having a guy on the line (inline TE), whether it's four on one side and two on the other side of the center, or three and three. You just have a wider front, which there are some advantages to that.

By having them in the backfield (FB, 21 personnel), you can create that same four-man surface or three-man surface after the snap so the defense doesn't know where the four-man surface or three-man surface is. The fullback has to –- he can build that from the backfield.
"And then there are also, let's say, a greater variety of blocking schemes with the fullback in the backfield because he can block different guys and come from different angles. He's not always behind the quarterback. He could be offset one way or the other and create different blocking schemes and angles that it's harder to get from the line of scrimmage.
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/188281-49ers-sign-kyle-juice-juszczyk/page80/#post1194

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:
Wow...some of you guys will literally b***h about anything.

i am not,, in this thread anyway! i like juice very much... i just hope this is the year. we will insert the screen passing to juice and others in the offense
  • thl408
Guess which RB/FB led the LEAGUE in yards per catch in 2018 (10.8 ypc). Not Kamara, not Gurley, not Barkley.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
Guess which RB/FB led the LEAGUE in yards per catch in 2018 (10.8 ypc). Not Kamara, not Gurley, not Barkley.

it needs to be more of a staple of our offense. especially if he puts jimmy in a comfort zone thing
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
I hate to remind you people, shanahan uses the fb to create mismatches
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by 9moon:
I told you all before, the signing of the Juke was a JOKE, and wasted some money on him.. FB, we can find them everywhere.. we had RED under HarBaalke and he was pretty good.. until he became a wife beater!!

Why are you whining about "wasting money" on him? Which free agents did we miss out on because of Juice's salary bogging down the cap? We aren't even close to being in a disadvantageous cap position, so how exactly is this affecting the team negatively?

... and how is my opinion is different than yours??

I see the guy as a wasted signing because I believe that you can find good FBs anywhere, and anytime.. if you think he's THE BEST FB EVER, heck, that your opinion...

do you think giving Aweak Armhurts and Jimmy Kaiser Permanet Ward another contract was a good move?

do you do you do you or don't you??
/thread
[ Edited by NineFourNiner on Aug 21, 2019 at 1:10 PM ]
/thread

So, we need a fullback because it gets da b***hes?
Originally posted by 9moon:
... and how is my opinion is different than yours??

I see the guy as a wasted signing because I believe that you can find good FBs anywhere, and anytime.. if you think he's THE BEST FB EVER, heck, that your opinion...

do you think giving Aweak Armhurts and Jimmy Kaiser Permanet Ward another contract was a good move?

do you do you do you or don't you??

Dont keep sidetracking threads. This is not about Armstead or Ward.
Originally posted by Zealot:
/thread

Because his wife looks goooooodd.

/thread

Her mates aren't half bad either.
  • Mayor
  • Veteran
I guess fullbacks will disappear in future. Juice is one of the best but try to name 5 others. I guess, in ten to fifteen years, all kickers/punters will be Aussies and fullbacks are gone. And you won't be able to name 5 white players.
/thread

Her mates aren't half bad either.

Zealot is calling her guy friends apparently...I call the one on the right.
Juice is an elite human. How many people can say they're Harvard graduates and the best player at their position in the NFL?
[ Edited by Heroism on Aug 21, 2019 at 2:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Mayor:
I guess fullbacks will disappear in future. Juice is one of the best but try to name 5 others. I guess, in ten to fifteen years, all kickers/punters will be Aussies and fullbacks are gone. And you won't be able to name 5 white players.

While we are tending towards FBs being obsolete in the NFL. It only takes one team finding unique ways to use them and exploit matchups to cause the copycat league to all follow. I'm not saying it will happen but it is a copycat league and that's just how things happen. For the longest time TEs were just another blocker until the mold was broken.
Share 49ersWebzone