LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 273 users in the forums

Emmanuel Moseley CB Detroit Lions

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Lets hope the rookies take his spot in the starting line up. That would be great!

Highly unlikely

How? We just drafted two at a battle position, one relatively early in the 3rd round no less, for a position with only a penciled-in "starter" by default. How on earth is it "highly unlikely" one of the rookies could take his penciled-in spot?

Read above

Ok . . .

I'm not saying it's impossible just highly unlikely just based on Ambry hasn't played in a long time has his own health issues that could affect his availability. Or Demo whos a lackluster athlete and if we are going to be playing more man with D Ryan it's very risky having a rookie CB that lacks make up speed.

But Moseley hasn't played well enough to solidify the position his entire, so much so that Shanny & Co. felt the need to draft - not one - but two at his position. The 49ers 2021 draft class will likely go down as one of the teams best in franchise history. Lynch and Shanny pulled off 4 steals - Trey Sermon, Deommodore Lenoir, Talanoa Hufanga, and Elijah Mitchell - all of whom will make the team. Moseley was penciled in as the #2 CB by default. And now he's spotted both rookies drafted at his position (rookies more talented then Moseley) 5 - 13 days to get the coaches use to seeing performing well against the 1's. For an undrafted guy who hasn't yet actually earned his "penciled-in" spot Moseley has no room to be giving no drafted rookies any snaps - much less 5 - 13 days worth of snaps.

Ambry Thomas was drafted in the 3rd round. Relative to Moseley's draft status that's considered "highly drafted", and dangerously highly drafted when it's at your position, a position that God and the world knows is in open competition. Given he was drafted in the 3rd round you gotta believe that Ambry Thomas will be given every opportunity that Ahkello Witherspoon was given, who also was drafted in the 3rd round. With Mosely out Thomas has to be the guy who'll see 1st team snaps, in front of the coaches.

Given all this Mosley starting camp given more talented healthy rookies days with starters cannot be a good thing cannot be a good thing for him. In fact, it's a nightmare.
Ok . . .

But Moseley hasn't played well enough to solidify the position his entire, so much so that Shanny & Co. felt the need to draft - not one - but two at his position. The 49ers 2021 draft class will likely go down as one of the teams best in franchise history. Lynch and Shanny pulled off 4 steals - Trey Sermon, Deommodore Lenoir, Talanoa Hufanga, and Elijah Mitchell - all of whom will make the team. Moseley was penciled in as the #2 CB by default. And now he's spotted both rookies drafted at his position (rookies more talented then Moseley) 5 - 13 days to get the coaches use to seeing performing well against the 1's. For an undrafted guy who hasn't yet actually earned his "penciled-in" spot Moseley has no room to be giving no drafted rookies any snaps - much less 5 - 13 days worth of snaps.

Ambry Thomas was drafted in the 3rd round. Relative to Moseley's draft status that's considered "highly drafted", and dangerously highly drafted when it's at your position, a position that God and the world knows is in open competition. Given he was drafted in the 3rd round you gotta believe that Ambry Thomas will be given every opportunity that Ahkello Witherspoon was given, who also was drafted in the 3rd round. With Mosely out Thomas has to be the guy who'll see 1st team snaps, in front of the coaches.

Given all this Mosley starting camp given more talented healthy rookies days with starters cannot be a good thing cannot be a good thing for him. In fact, it's a nightmare.

If they didn't have faith in Mosely, they wouldn't have given him a contract...they would have signed someone else. They needed to draft multiple DBs because they simply don't have any. They have JV and KW on one year deals. I'm sure everyone will get reps at some point during the season, but I'd say they have all their starters in place.

Thomas dealt with colitis lost 35lbs in the summer before the 2019 season, kid played well then opted out. He's just got to worry about contributing when he can this yr. Hysterikal is correct in that it's highly unlikely he starts right off the bat. Mosely knows the scheme and frankly we haven't seen Thomas play football in a while.

I hope you're right about the draft class, it all comes down to Lance though. I kinda disagree that they got steals in Hufanga and Sermon. I think Sermon is good RB and a great scheme fit, I wouldn't call giving up two 4ths for a RB as a steal. Personally I don't think Talanoa is really that good (backup/STer), hope he proves me wrong. I liked Lenior thought he was a good pick, IMO he's a slot/nickel back only though. Which is fine given where he was taken.

We will see! TC is finally here
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Ok . . .

If they didn't have faith in Mosely, they wouldn't have given him a contract...they would have signed someone else. They needed to draft multiple DBs because they simply don't have any. They have JV and KW on one year deals. I'm sure everyone will get reps at some point during the season, but I'd say they have all their starters in place.

Thomas dealt with colitis lost 35lbs in the summer before the 2019 season, kid played well then opted out. He's just got to worry about contributing when he can this yr. Hysterikal is correct in that it's highly unlikely he starts right off the bat. Mosely knows the scheme and frankly we haven't seen Thomas play football in a while.

I hope you're right about the draft class, it all comes down to Lance though. I kinda disagree that they got steals in Hufanga and Sermon. I think Sermon is good RB and a great scheme fit, I wouldn't call giving up two 4ths for a RB as a steal. Personally I don't think Talanoa is really that good (backup/STer), hope he proves me wrong. I liked Lenior thought he was a good pick, IMO he's a slot/nickel back only though. Which is fine given where he was taken.

We will see! TC is finally here

All fare points. But my main point on this is that Moseley can ill-afford to be allowing more talented, highly drafted rookies 5 -13 days of unanswered reps against starters. Granted, everyone will get their chances. But for an undrafted guy who's only penciled the #2 CB he don't have room to spare. For Moseley staying available is paramount.

IMHO, Moseley being in the COVID protocol allows Ambry Thomas to establish himself as a better option at the #2 CB spot.
All fare points. But my main point on this is that Moseley can ill-afford to be allowing more talented, highly drafted rookies 5 -13 days of unanswered reps against starters. Granted, everyone will get their chances. But for an undrafted guy who's only penciled the #2 CB he don't have room to spare. For Moseley staying available is paramount.

IMHO, Moseley being in the COVID protocol allows Ambry Thomas to establish himself as a better option at the #2 CB spot.

May the best man win
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
What injury does he have thats keeping him sidelined ?
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DrEll:

I wanna say hamstring?
Originally posted by FL9er:

I wanna say hamstring?

That has now turned into a knee injury lol. Unreal
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by FL9er:

I wanna say hamstring?

wait what?
Get well soon E-man.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

I thought it was foot

Let's Go! E-Man is back (hopefully). I think he's going to have a very strong year with the improved pass rush.
"Questionable" is NFL code for he is going to play unless he has some setback inbetween that time and gametime.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
"Questionable" is NFL code for he is going to play unless he has some setback inbetween that time and gametime.

I'd say rest him for one more week, imo he's THAT important to us.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by JTB1974:

I'd say rest him for one more week, imo he's THAT important to us.

They should give him at least a few reps to knock off the rust. I wouldn't want his first game to be against DK and Lockett.
Share 49ersWebzone