LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 259 users in the forums

Favorite 9er

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Favorite 9er

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IHATELOWELLCOHN:
I love people who love Joe. Lol. Truth bro speak on it! You know what I will remember about Brady??? Vinatieri. He lost to Nick Foles in a SB. Best ever??? Pfft! Trouble is I'm getting old and the young bucks never saw Joe much as I never saw Unitas or Otto. One thing I will go to my grave saying is nobody will ever make it look prettier or easier than Joe did. That 89 Philly game on the turf would have put Brady on the shelf.
i never saw the packers in the 60s, saw the steelers in the 70s, but our team in the 80s was the best. hell. no other team in nfl history got a postage stamp in their honor.. i am pretty sure the postal service did issue a stamp to salute our dominance of the 80s, could have won another super bowl had we not got screwed by the refs vs the skins.. yes. cc blamed the refs... maybe the only time i have ever done it. but come one in that game, and of course the hearst injury. man it would have been nice to guys like haley rice and young another ring that year
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
The Giants did not score a TD in that game. We had the ball at their 30; we had the lead; there were 3:00 or a bit more left in the game. All we had to do was burn some clock and kick a short FG, game over. The Giants were never going to beat our defense for a TD in that game.

I can't see Montana playing in that SB against the Bills. The hit he took in the 4th qtr. was blindside and brutal.

you think young could have beat the bills? i think our defense would have carried us but man we had no run game going into the super bowl. speaking as if we would have beat the giants,, and young was pretty raw. maybe they would have just fed rice all day and our defense would have held down the bills?
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i know its off topic.. but to me... that will always be the biggest what if in our team, history.... what if he had not fumbled.. what do you think would have taken place in the super bowl? do you think joe would have tried to play ? remember he had a chest injury and broken finger in the game. if not. would steve young have been able to step up and win the super bowl? i am fearful the game would have been to big for steve then, but we had a killer defense and maybe we beat the bills 13-10. i bet joe would have tried to play. oh well

I think the defense alone would've done it as well as a few plays by our ridiculously good offensive players. Also the bills were losing 4 sbs in a row regardless to whichever nfc team they played
thank you. good thoughts!
Originally posted by TD49ers:
That fumble was disappointing. I had scrubbed that from my memory until now!

To further go off topic. I saw that Montana was ranked #2 QB in NFL history. These ranking are just non sense. Don't try and tell me that Brady lasts until he is 41 years old and plays at that level in the 1980s. I remember Montana playing the Giants at Candlestick in the NFCC and against some stout NFC defense (Bears, Skins ) and getting just crushed in just ridiculously bad field conditions; Candstick/RFK was a mud pit at times and Giant stadium and Soldier Field was a concrete floor painted green.
Not to mention a player like Johnny Unitas who called his own plays and would have also played in an era of no nonsense football. Now the QB are catered to with ideal field conditions, almost non contact rules and overly slant rules that favorite throwing the football. Its disrespectful to the history of the game.

This! All of this!
i never saw the packers in the 60s, saw the steelers in the 70s, but our team in the 80s was the best. hell. no other team in nfl history got a postage stamp in their honor.. i am pretty sure the postal service did issue a stamp to salute our dominance of the 80s, could have won another super bowl had we not got screwed by the refs vs the skins.. yes. cc blamed the refs... maybe the only time i have ever done it. but come one in that game, and of course the hearst injury. man it would have been nice to guys like haley rice and young another ring that year

Absolutely correct. Great post! I agree 100% that's another Super Bowl hands-down
Originally posted by RTFirefly:
The Giants did not score a TD in that game. We had the ball at their 30; we had the lead; there were 3:00 or a bit more left in the game. All we had to do was burn some clock and kick a short FG, game over. The Giants were never going to beat our defense for a TD in that game.

I can't see Montana playing in that SB against the Bills. The hit he took in the 4th qtr. was blindside and brutal.

you think young could have beat the bills? i think our defense would have carried us but man we had no run game going into the super bowl. speaking as if we would have beat the giants,, and young was pretty raw. maybe they would have just fed rice all day and our defense would have held down the bills?

Hard to say. Jim Kelly was a great QB and Thurman Munson gave them a strong running game to go with it. Remember, their kicker had a chance to win that SB before the Giants kicker did the trick. I think we would have won with Steve, just because we still had a tremendous team that had never lost a Super Bowl. Of course, that was with Joe. But I think we would have won, and won comfortably. Only the Giants could stop our offense in those days.
Share 49ersWebzone