LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 266 users in the forums

49ers UDFA TE Tyree Mayfield

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The 49ers are loaded at TE with Kittle, Celek, Smith, Dwelley and Toilolo so there obviously isn't much room for another, but Wyoming TE Tyree Mayfield is a well rounded and talented man. 6'3", 245. He's a solid blocker, has great hands and stands out on special teams. As an undrafted free agent, he'll barely make a ripple on the salary cap. Don't go to sleep on this kid, he has a real shot.
Mayfield is a TE or possible H-Back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMzzmqegwjw
Mayfield is also a very good ST prospect
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvht4l3kU3U
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/192529-49ers-udfa-tyree-mayfield/
Yeah, he looks good.
I heard this guy is a real sleeper.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
I heard this guy is a real sleeper.

I hope he wakes up in time for training camp.
I like this guy more than Kaden Smith honestly.
Originally posted by Waterbear:

Me too, but with Toiolo and Hurd on the roster, it kinda screws him being undrafted. Hopefully he can be snuck on the practice squad.
what he'd be, is a great backup for Juice.. But I don't see the numbers/slots available to support it.

ideally, I would like to see Kaden and Mayfield win the spots behind Kittle
Originally posted by OsBoogie:

ideally, I would like to see Kaden and Mayfield win the spots behind Kittle

You don't like Toilolo? I've watched him since Stanford and wanted us to draft him back then. I think he's the perfect TE 2 for us because he allows Kittle to focus on being a WR because of his blocking. Kaden isn't a great blocker and is really slow. I'd rather keep a backup h back type in Mayfield to be honest.

You don't like Toilolo? I've watched him since Stanford and wanted us to draft him back then. I think he's the perfect TE 2 for us because he allows Kittle to focus on being a WR because of his blocking. Kaden isn't a great blocker and is really slow. I'd rather keep a backup h back type in Mayfield to be honest.

I think Toilololo is a great blocker but is super limited as anything more.

I think given a little more practice, Kaden can be a sufficient blocker and is actually a far better receiving option. I wouldn't pay too much attention to his 40 from the combine. He gets open, he can run up the seem, and even better, he's VERY successful at jump balls. I think with Kaden in a 2TE set, we really can switch up who is blocking and who is going for the pass.

Mayfield is more of a joker and as mentioned earlier, he could also help fill in for Juice. A lot of versatility but not an in line blocker at all.

I think Toilololo is a great blocker but is super limited as anything more.

I think given a little more practice, Kaden can be a sufficient blocker and is actually a far better receiving option. I wouldn't pay too much attention to his 40 from the combine. He gets open, he can run up the seem, and even better, he's VERY successful at jump balls. I think with Kaden in a 2TE set, we really can switch up who is blocking and who is going for the pass.

Mayfield is more of a joker and as mentioned earlier, he could also help fill in for Juice. A lot of versatility but not an in line blocker at all.

Well I'm a big Stanford fan so I watched both of their careers. Imo Toilolo is the far superior player. His size really is a weapon and hes on another planet with blocking. If you remember he was the guy that was pushing around Armstead when we played the lions and AA has gotten much better as a run defender.

So I have a hard time seeing Kaden beating out Toilolo anytime soon.

Kaden doesn't really "get open" but he's got great hands and the ability to catch contested passes in traffic. If he had Toilolo's elite blocking I would be a fan, but since he doesn't separate much and doesn't block (right now at least) I would rather see Mayfield get a spot because he can do what you said, backup FB, and like someone else mentioned, be a monster on special teams.
Well I'm a big Stanford fan so I watched both of their careers. Imo Toilolo is the far superior player. His size really is a weapon and hes on another planet with blocking. If you remember he was the guy that was pushing around Armstead when we played the lions and AA has gotten much better as a run defender.

Kaden doesn't really "get open" but he's got great hands and the ability to catch contested passes in traffic. If he had Toilolo's elite blocking I would be a fan, but since he doesn't separate much and doesn't block (right now at least) I would rather see Mayfield get a spot because he can do what you said, backup FB, and like someone else mentioned, be a monster on special teams.

I don't see it with Toilolo as a receiver, he's big and that's nice, but not enough. With Kittle being in so much and being a great blocker, I don't want a guy who can only block. I think Kaden is a far better receiving option even if he's not as tall. I don't know that either will give us a huge push, but give me Kaden's upside over Toilolo's blocking.

I don't see it with Toilolo as a receiver, he's big and that's nice, but not enough. With Kittle being in so much and being a great blocker, I don't want a guy who can only block. I think Kaden is a far better receiving option even if he's not as tall. I don't know that either will give us a huge push, but give me Kaden's upside over Toilolo's blocking.

Nah. We'll have to agree to disagree then. I think Toilolo is much better as a WR than you're suggesting. And I also disagree with wanting a better recieving TE than a blocker as TE2.

For me, It would be nice to be able to take Kittle out later in games when we need to just run the ball. I'd rather give more catches to the WRs we picked up than our backup TE. Having a blocking TE only helps kittle get more looks IMO.

Nah. We'll have to agree to disagree then. I think Toilolo is much better as a WR than you're suggesting. And I also disagree with wanting a better recieving TE than a blocker as TE2.

For me, It would be nice to be able to take Kittle out later in games when we need to just run the ball. I'd rather give more catches to the WRs we picked up than our backup TE. Having a blocking TE only helps kittle get more looks IMO.
I totally agree that our TE2 needs to be a decent blocker, but I would prefer a decent blocker that's a better receiver than a great blocker that isn't much of a threat. I think you just have a higher opinion of Toilolo than I do. I may have a higher hope for Kaden than you do as well. We'll see.
Share 49ersWebzone