LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 255 users in the forums

2019 49ers Training Camp Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
BAM!

SACK CITY
After a red-zone period to start the 11-on-11 portion of the joint practice, the first full-field period started with the second-team defense, but they set the tone early.
In three plays, Zach Kerr had a sack, DeMarcus Walker had a sack, and Dekoda Watson blew up a sweep to the right side.
When the ones came out shortly after that, the defense kept the pressure on, with Derek Wolfe notching a sack and Josey Jewell blowing up a sweep in the series. A back-foot throw from Garoppolo to Marquise Goodwin turned out to be the only completion of the five-play, three-pass set.
When the second team rolled out, it was Shamarko Thomas and Dre'Mont Jones getting in on the sack action.
Oh, and did I mention Von Miller wasn't even on the field for this practice, as he was taking a vet rest day? Oh, and Malik Reed wasn't out there either, as he nurses an injury.
With the team thin at OLB, it was Watson who took his time to shine against his former team. In the next 11-on-11 period for the ones, Watson had back to back sacks of Garoppolo, having fun with chirping at his former teammates after each one.
By my count, Denver had seven sacks in the practice.
Now, one thing to keep in mind here, is that the players aren't allowed to touch the quarterback, so these "sacks" don't actually happen. Another thing to keep in mind is that the play goes on, they don't even whistle it dead, so if you aren't paying close attention what really was a sack could look like a big play for the offense.
For me, the play is over when the pass rusher runs right by the quarterback, but after practice, I asked Ed Donatell how he views it, and he provided some interesting insight.
"We always say, 'What if they would've had time?'" The defensive coordinator explained. "We want to know how our guys will do. We know in a normal game, that isn't always the truth. But if a guy can hold up even when there isn't the pressure, then you know you can count on him more readily."
"If you made a good rush, that's good," added Vic Fangio. "Will he finish? That's why the games are so important. Can he finish? The players are instructed to stay away from the quarterback, so that's why the preseason games are important. Can a guy finish?"
The only real "negative" of the day for the Broncos defense came at the end of practice. In an end-of-game situation, the 49ers offense was given the ball at the 50-yard line with 32 seconds on the clock and zero timeouts, down by one point.
On 1st-and-10, Garoppolo looked to the left side of the field where he tried to squeeze the ball between Justin Simmons and Chris Harris Jr. Bad decision. Simmons got a hand on the ball and Harris nearly intercepted it.
On 2nd-and-10, Bradley Chubb got big-time pressure off the right side and may have had a chance for sack in a live-game situation, but didn't quite get there. Garoppolo stepped up and fired a rocket to Jordan Matthews, but Chris Harris Jr. got a hand in there to break it up.
On 3rd-and-10, Jimmy G was finally able to convert a first down, finding Matthews in front of Devante Bausby for 11.
After spiking the ball with six seconds left, kicker Robbie Gould lined up from 58 yards out and nailed the "game-winning" field goal.
In the end, it looks like a "loss" for the Broncos' defense, but to be fair, when an offense has it at the 50 with 30 seconds left and all they need is a field goal, they should be able to convert that.
Even with that in mind, the Denver 'D' won the day.

https://bsndenver.com/broncos-joint-practice-observations-defense-brings-the-heat-on-day-2/
Originally posted by KittleSkittle:
SACK CITY
After a red-zone period to start the 11-on-11 portion of the joint practice, the first full-field period started with the second-team defense, but they set the tone early.
In three plays, Zach Kerr had a sack, DeMarcus Walker had a sack, and Dekoda Watson blew up a sweep to the right side.
When the ones came out shortly after that, the defense kept the pressure on, with Derek Wolfe notching a sack and Josey Jewell blowing up a sweep in the series. A back-foot throw from Garoppolo to Marquise Goodwin turned out to be the only completion of the five-play, three-pass set.
When the second team rolled out, it was Shamarko Thomas and Dre'Mont Jones getting in on the sack action.
Oh, and did I mention Von Miller wasn't even on the field for this practice, as he was taking a vet rest day? Oh, and Malik Reed wasn't out there either, as he nurses an injury.
With the team thin at OLB, it was Watson who took his time to shine against his former team. In the next 11-on-11 period for the ones, Watson had back to back sacks of Garoppolo, having fun with chirping at his former teammates after each one.
By my count, Denver had seven sacks in the practice.
Now, one thing to keep in mind here, is that the players aren't allowed to touch the quarterback, so these "sacks" don't actually happen. Another thing to keep in mind is that the play goes on, they don't even whistle it dead, so if you aren't paying close attention what really was a sack could look like a big play for the offense.
For me, the play is over when the pass rusher runs right by the quarterback, but after practice, I asked Ed Donatell how he views it, and he provided some interesting insight.
"We always say, 'What if they would've had time?'" The defensive coordinator explained. "We want to know how our guys will do. We know in a normal game, that isn't always the truth. But if a guy can hold up even when there isn't the pressure, then you know you can count on him more readily."
"If you made a good rush, that's good," added Vic Fangio. "Will he finish? That's why the games are so important. Can he finish? The players are instructed to stay away from the quarterback, so that's why the preseason games are important. Can a guy finish?"
The only real "negative" of the day for the Broncos defense came at the end of practice. In an end-of-game situation, the 49ers offense was given the ball at the 50-yard line with 32 seconds on the clock and zero timeouts, down by one point.
On 1st-and-10, Garoppolo looked to the left side of the field where he tried to squeeze the ball between Justin Simmons and Chris Harris Jr. Bad decision. Simmons got a hand on the ball and Harris nearly intercepted it.
On 2nd-and-10, Bradley Chubb got big-time pressure off the right side and may have had a chance for sack in a live-game situation, but didn't quite get there. Garoppolo stepped up and fired a rocket to Jordan Matthews, but Chris Harris Jr. got a hand in there to break it up.
On 3rd-and-10, Jimmy G was finally able to convert a first down, finding Matthews in front of Devante Bausby for 11.
After spiking the ball with six seconds left, kicker Robbie Gould lined up from 58 yards out and nailed the "game-winning" field goal.
In the end, it looks like a "loss" for the Broncos' defense, but to be fair, when an offense has it at the 50 with 30 seconds left and all they need is a field goal, they should be able to convert that.
Even with that in mind, the Denver 'D' won the day.

https://bsndenver.com/broncos-joint-practice-observations-defense-brings-the-heat-on-day-2/

Yikes...could post the first half in the OL thread. Not encouraging but expected.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Don't sugarcoat it NC, don't you ever sugarcoat it
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Why are people critical of Garnett? He had surgery on a finger that keeps dislocated, so he won't have to deal with the dislocation into the year. Short of cutting it off, how else do you want him to fix it

Zone doctors go for amputation on every dislocated and strained limbs. Kyle gonna have to scheme the games with a whole team of amputees.
Why are people (read: boys) critical of Garnett? Some boys feel like men when they call players girls.
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
I don't mind him getting surgery. I don't know why he couldn't throw a cast on it and get in there. We've seen that plenty in the NFL.

Because if he dislocated it AND damaged the structures that hold the finger in place... surgery is the only option.

Not all injuries are the same. You can't just "tough out" a dislocation that includes torn ligaments that need surgical care to repair. It's like asking somebody to tough out an ACL. If it needs surgery...it needs surgery.

Agree. Also one of the benefits is to allow another younger less experienced player to sub in and play and allow the coaches to see if that young and raw player can play and possibly replace Garnett.

People act like top doctors just make up reasons to do surgery. Surgery is ALWAYS the last option. Doctors will ALWAYS exhaust other viable non-surgical options if any exist. If he got surgery it's because he needed surgery.

True that. Doctors say it all the time. No matter how advanced medicine is you never work quite the same as you did pre surgery. Also Garnett is fine china or tupperware as it is and has a hard enough time playing well when he's healthy.

I think we swing a trade for a versatile OL before week 1. With Richberg and Person dinged up and no guarantee how healthy Weston will be coupled with Coleman's injury I think we have to. Unless there is a surprise salary dump by someone they will trade for somebody.

Maybe Garnett comes back and surprises but I doubt it. Even if he does pull off that minor miracle I think we should still add a piece. Does anyone know if Garnett ever took snaps at C either in practice for us or Stanford??? Might help his case.
Originally posted by LVJay:

You know I can't.
What's up with Rollins??? I haven't followed him since GB drafted him. He's gotta be better depth than Mabin right? I know GB hasn't had a great pass rush since they drafted him. Hope he can help out I like him coming out of the U.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
What about Kittle? I haven't heard anything about him this camp.

Our O Line is atrocious with the back ups in. Jimmy going to get blown up on Monday by the Denver 1's. I say don't even play him after hearing about their potential 7 sacks from today.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by LVJay:

You know I can't.

We figured we'd just waltz right into camp looking good with our starting oline and the depth as well

• mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
Our O Line is atrocious with the back ups in. Jimmy going to get blown up on Monday by the Denver 1's. I say don't even play him after hearing about their potential 7 sacks from today.

Jimmy is not going out there if it's only backups.
shocking how our backup OL isn't as good as our starters, almost as if they are backups for a reason.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
shocking how our backup OL isn't as good as our starters, almost as if they are backups for a reason.

Very disappointing indeed
Share 49ersWebzone