LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

How much better are the 49ers than the Rams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
f**k the Rams. We got Kyle, the best schemer in the league, and Jimmy G the handsomest, quickest gun QB. Better than Goofy and McVag
Rams are the better team right now, but that doesn't suggest that they will be the better team come January. They had a good young HC and HoF DC take over a roster that was further along than the 49ers and have capitalised on it. The 49ers meanwhile had to build from almost scratch. Despite a mistake or two they have otherwise done a great job in building the team up. The Rams will be a formidable opponent for a while, but they are not so far above and beyond that they are out of reach of the 49ers. I could see the 49ers going 0-2 or 1-1 in the first two meetings, but there is no question the 49ers win the rubber match in January with a healthy core.
Our QQ def looks better than the Ram's QB going by physique.
Rams are 3 points better than the Niners
Originally posted by littleken:
Originally posted by RedGoldSquatch:
The NFL is all about matchups and position groups. If I had to break them down I say they work out this way:
QB - Toss up. Goff has holes in his game and Jimmy G hasn't proven things over the course over a whole season to be graded higher
HB. 49ers. The Rams are top heavy with Gurley clearly being the best talent but the 49ers have more depth
WR. Rams but.... based on the 49ers draft this could change drastically. If Deebo/Pettis end up being the players we all hope they can be then we win here as well
OL. Rams. The 49ers line is one of the weakest spots of the team
DL. I want to say the 9ers with the addition of Bosa/Ford but again they are unproved in working together so the Donald alone has to tilt this right?
LB. Draw
DB. Rams depending on health. If both of our starters stay healthy this gap is pretty minimal
P. I think we all know our 4th round sensation is the best punter in history already :D

So the Rams win more than the Niners but there are plenty of reasons for optimism and this script flips if the 9ers convert some of that potential into actual on the field play. I think it comes down to coaching, health, and growth. I think it's a toss up with the head coaching and if we could actually be healthy for a season I see no reason the 49ers can't compete with the Rams for the West. That being said I'm an unashamed homer.
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
A lot of homers on here...

QB: Rams - Goff keeps getting better and threw for 4700 yards with a passer rating above 100 last year. Even if Garapollo can stay healthy for a full season, I'll go with the younger Goff. Garapollo has to prove he's more than an average starting QB.

RB: Rams - Gurley is probably the second best RB in the league after Saquon Barkley. That trumps having depth at RB.

WR: Rams by far. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp is one of the best WR tandems in the league. We don't have anyone as good as any of their top 3 receivers. This one isn't even close.

TE: 49ers. We have Kittle. They don't. Not as big a landslide as the WR race because they have two pretty good TEs.

OL: Rams by far.

DL: Wash - Donald is by far the best player on either defensive line and Fowler could be good, but we have Bosa, QW, and Ford.

LB: Wash, maybe slight edge to 49ers because Kwon Alexander is really good.

DB: Rams by far.

Special teams: Rams by far.

Rams are a much better football team.

I agree everything except QB. I believed Golf started off last season well, but he really struggled in the second half of the season and playoff. I would go with Jimmy G any day.

Because QB is so important, just that difference in our assessment would change the conclusion from Rams being much better to Rams being slightly better.

Goff is actually really good when he gets time but think losing Saffold will be a huge hit for them. The Rams run a lot of deep routes so having an elite OL was key, and I don't think they have that anymore. So I would not be shocked if Jimmy G has the better year this year if he can stay healthy.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Goff is actually really good when he gets time but think losing Saffold will be a huge hit for them. The Rams run a lot of deep routes so having an elite OL was key, and I don't think they have that anymore. So I would not be shocked if Jimmy G has the better year this year if he can stay healthy.

Very possible. Plus an extra year to diagnose and master the play calls will go a long way with audibles compared to Goff who was essentially, being told what to do by his HC.

That's part of the equation. If we're talking about overall then the Rams are a better team. If we're talking head to head, how does Goff handle our revamped line coming from everywhere? Once he's put on his butt a few times he gets jittery and starts making mistakes. Good for us since we are thin at corner and we need him to make those mistakes if we're winning heads up. I'm a Ric Flair disciple, to be the man you've got to beat the man. Until we prove it, they're better. I just hope we prove it.
Originally posted by RedGoldSquatch:

That's part of the equation. If we're talking about overall then the Rams are a better team. If we're talking head to head, how does Goff handle our revamped line coming from everywhere? Once he's put on his butt a few times he gets jittery and starts making mistakes. Good for us since we are thin at corner and we need him to make those mistakes if we're winning heads up. I'm a Ric Flair disciple, to be the man you've got to beat the man. Until we prove it, they're better. I just hope we prove it.

As long as the Niner's DB's don't have to cover 4-5 seconds, like they've had to in the past, they'll look much better. They can be more aggressive and won't have to give 5-7 yard cushions.
They aren't.
We haven't even earned the right to have this discussion, yet.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
whether or not we have a good season is mostly predicated on wishing and especially hoping that guys are healthy and finally get it. the rams have more known commodities than we do in my opinion.
So far this year, we're both undefeated.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Very possible. Plus an extra year to diagnose and master the play calls will go a long way with audibles compared to Goff who was essentially, being told what to do by his HC.

I hope our D puts Goff on his ass over and over all three games..
(3rd game being the playoffs )
[ Edited by Jeepzilla on May 20, 2019 at 6:16 PM ]
The Rams were much better last year. But now we got Wishnowsky!
Originally posted by BayToBrazil:
The Rams were much better last year. But now we got Wishnowsky!

That's Wishnowskyful thinking.
Share 49ersWebzone