There are 200 users in the forums

How much better are the 49ers than the Rams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LVJay:
A bust indeed...one who never even came close to sniffing a SB w/out purchasing a ticket on Stub Hub

This Carr bust is like a ditzy chic in here saying Goff is better than JG or Sean the Boy Wenius is better than Shanny

No way Jimmy G plays as bad as Goff did in the super bowl. Ever.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
No way Jimmy G plays as bad as Goff did in the super bowl. Ever.

He might play as good as Montana
Niners get third best odds to win NFC West
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/17/49ers-get-third-best-odds-to-win-nfc-west/
Originally posted by NCommand:
On talent alone, probably something close to this. This obviously does not include coaching, scheme, player development, health, intangibles, playoff experience, etc.

Scale: 4, 3, 2, 1

Offensive Personnel:
QB: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Arizona
RB/FB: Los Angeles, Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle
TE1/TE2/OW: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Arizona, Seattle
XWR/SWR/ZWR: Los Angeles, Arizona, San Francisco, Seattle
LT/RT: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Arizona
C/LG/RG: Los Angeles, Seattle, San Francisco, Arizona

Offensive Talent: Los Angeles 20, San Francisco 17, Seattle 12, Arizona 11

Defensive Personnel:
NT/DT: Los Angeles, San Francisco, Arizona, Seattle
DE/ER: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Arizona, Seattle
SAM/MIKE/TED/WILL: Seattle, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Arizona
RCB/SCB/LCB: Arizona, Seattle, Los Angeles, San Francisco
FS/SS: Los Angeles, Seattle, Arizona. San Francisco

Defensive Talent: Los Angeles 15, San Francisco 12, Seattle 12, Arizona 11

Special Teams:
LS/PK/P: San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Arizona

Special Teams Talent: San Francisco 4, Los Angeles 3, Seattle 2, Arizona 1

Total: Los Angeles 38, San Francisco 33, Seattle 26, Arizona 23
How is San Francisco 3rd in RB/FB? Not only do we have the best FB hands down, we have Coleman, Breida and Jet. Without two of those three we were one of the best rb groups last year.
No one knows how either of these teams will do this year. We will see! I'm excited about it.
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
How is San Francisco 3rd in RB/FB? Not only do we have the best FB hands down, we have Coleman, Breida and Jet. Without two of those three we were one of the best rb groups last year.

I'm guessing who did that order had Gurley and David Johnson as being better pure and balanced RB's. We certainly have deeper and more diverse talent.
Originally posted by NCommand:
I'm guessing who did that order had Gurley and David Johnson as being better pure and balanced RB's. We certainly have deeper and more diverse talent.

For their type of system, I'd say Carson is the better back. That guys pretty good. Wouldn't sleep on their receivers either especially if DK pans out.
I am glad first Rams game is down there. Frankly i don't think we will have had enough time to meld our O players nor our D. Plus side for us is Joe S / Laken/ Richburg/ Person/ McG have played together in ZBS for one yr now. That is of utmost importance, but still, we don't have true starter quality OGs, altho during cap cut time, i bet JL is hunting for a starter OG....

On D, we have had zero time to meld all talent along DLine, same for DL with LBs, and won't really see how good our front 7 is until midseason or so. Sure, it could be sooner, but really tough games like rams ....we need guys who have played alongside one another for plenty of time to know what the guy beside them is going to do.

That obviates DBs, our weakest link by a country mile. Tarvarius Moore is a very good S, and PFT rated him very good yr one. Switched to CB, he floppped. If he is put back at S, he will be a much, much better player. I hope Joe Woods is the one who assigns positions to his DBs, NOT Saleh. Let saleh take care of the LBs, a job he knows and is good at. Joe Woods is "pass play caller" on D...what is that exactly? Whatever, I hope kocurek or Woods are callling the D sets. Again, hope JL is hunting for a DB from cap cut/trade when it comes time for cutdowns.

Familiarity of the guys next to you on the OL is key and we will be way better this yr because of the PT those 5 guys got last yr...TOGETHER. So game 1 with rams (game #6)....in LA...i give to them. But when we next play, we will have had time to meld, and without injuries, i like us to win up here.

Until our D unit and our O unit have had time to play together, learn one another, we won't be a great team like Rams. But given time, I think we can and 2nd game is up here. I just hope it doesn't take more than half a season for O unit and D unit to learn how to play together. If so, we may win more than we lose but won't go anywhere in playoffs.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 19, 2019 at 6:46 AM ]
The 49ers will be as good as Jimmy Garropolo staying healthy and earning his 137 million dollar qb. If he becomes a franchise qb like we hope then the Niners will ALWAYS be competitive. If he is not available, then we will struggle.

Part 2, if Bosa and Dee Ford can get to the qb and help out our qb our defense will improve. If not Saleh will be looking for a new job and we will be drafting all DB's next year.
Originally posted by 9erred:
The 49ers will be as good as Jimmy Garropolo staying healthy and earning his 137 million dollar qb. If he becomes a franchise qb like we hope then the Niners will ALWAYS be competitive. If he is not available, then we will struggle.

Part 2, if Bosa and Dee Ford can get to the qb and help out our qb our defense will improve. If not Saleh will be looking for a new job and we will be drafting all DB's next year.

Don't give up on JL finding a CB in cap cut/trade time....if there is a guy whose contract yr is up soon and he wants more $$, his team may be willing to part with him for his last yr....meaning a real talent but on the cheap, a la BB. And if he is just a one yr rental, as long as he has talent, we'll be happy to take him.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Rams linebackers are terrible. There is a reason why they struggle against the run year in and year out.

Without Saffold and a new center I don't see their OL being much better if at all.
lol. we have the same line we had last year which was horrid in pass protection. yes. we all "hope the new center is ok. we all hope the guards will be better. in regards to linebacking. we have fred,. a guy we hope will be good and a question mark at three, we are not in a position to challenge them
I'm not sure the difference between the bottom teams and the top teams is that great anymore. If the top team loses a couple of key players and the bottom team gains a couple you can sometimes see a huge swing. It then comes down to staying healthy and good coaching and some luck. The actual talent level among teams is fairly even. One or two big time players can swing the pendulum.
Top to bottom, we are at least equal to the Lambs:
++++
Ownership : 9ers, (we are blessed with the Yorks)
Front Office: 9ers, (again, we are blessed with Paraag, and his proxy Lynch)
++++
HC: 9ers, (Shanny, come on, the teacher)
OC: 9ers, (Shanny calls the plays)
DC: Lambs,
++++
QB: 9ers, (both Mullen and GQ could be better than Goof)
OL: Lambs,
RB: Lambs,
WR: ------,
TE: 9ers,
++++
DL: 9ers, (Ford and Bosa baby)
LB: Lambs, (but not if we play up to our potential)
DB: 9ers, (we have Sherm, they don't)
++++
Some head should roll if we don't win the NFC west this season.

Go 9ers.
[ Edited by GarnerValleyFan on May 19, 2019 at 9:14 AM ]
Sorry I'm late to this party but the way I see it is we have WON just as much as them so far this season. Please define better. Not to be a smart alec but there are so many things to consider.
Cheer Girls NO
Fans NO
Venue NO
Mascot
Uniform Hell NO
Legacy
FO NO
Ownership - Well possibly.
Coaching Staff NO
Season - It's Tied at 0-0 for 2019
Daft NO
FA NO
Team - It's a 90 man lottery.
Injuries NO
QB NO
Defense TIE
Offense NO
ST NO
Off Field Distraction NO
Wifi NO
Mayo and his intuition - NO Contest
Hate by other fan bases and media - Second only to the Cowgirls
Referee Bias - YES
Discipline - YES
Upside - NO

We should not be beaten by them for the next 5 years.
Until proven otherwise

Coaching = tie

QB = Rams
RB = Rams
WR = Rams
TE = Niners
OL = Rams

D-line = Rams
LBs = Niners
DBs = Rams

STs = Niners
Share 49ersWebzone