There are 138 users in the forums

How much better are the 49ers than the Rams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:
A lot of homers on here...

QB: Rams - Goff keeps getting better and threw for 4700 yards with a passer rating above 100 last year. Even if Garapollo can stay healthy for a full season, I'll go with the younger Goff. Garapollo has to prove he's more than an average starting QB.

RB: Rams - Gurley is probably the second best RB in the league after Saquon Barkley. That trumps having depth at RB.

WR: Rams by far. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp is one of the best WR tandems in the league. We don't have anyone as good as any of their top 3 receivers. This one isn't even close.

TE: 49ers. We have Kittle. They don't. Not as big a landslide as the WR race because they have two pretty good TEs.

OL: Rams by far.

DL: Wash - Donald is by far the best player on either defensive line and Fowler could be good, but we have Bosa, QW, and Ford.

LB: Wash, maybe slight edge to 49ers because Kwon Alexander is really good.

DB: Rams by far.

Special teams: Rams by far.

Rams are a much better football team.

Name the rams o.l.
Prove it on the field. As of now until proven elsewhere the Rams are better than us. Time to kick their ass!!
Originally posted by Izyniner:

QB: Rams - Goff keeps getting better and threw for 4700 yards with a passer rating above 100 last year. Even if Garapollo can stay healthy for a full season, I'll go with the younger Goff. Garapollo has to prove he's more than an average starting QB.

RB: Rams - Gurley is probably the second best RB in the league after Saquon Barkley. That trumps having depth at RB.

WR: Rams by far. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp is one of the best WR tandems in the league. We don't have anyone as good as any of their top 3 receivers. This one isn't even close.

TE: 49ers. We have Kittle. They don't. Not as big a landslide as the WR race because they have two pretty good TEs.

DL: Wash - Donald is by far the best player on either defensive line and Fowler could be good, but we have Bosa, QW, and Ford.

Name the rams o.l.

I agree with your positional breakdowns but even with all this the 49ers are close. Like if you have a 9 rating for Rams RBs and we have an 8.5. It's close. Our offensive lines have gotten comparable and I would even possibly take our line with Saffold gone.

Our WR's have gotten much better, DL MUCH better, LBs better, CB's if Verrett can stay healthy... Much better.

The Rams are better on paper but I wouldn't be shocked if we were able to steal a game from them.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Izyniner:

Name the rams o.l.

I agree with your positional breakdowns but even with all this the 49ers are close. Like if you have a 9 rating for Rams RBs and we have an 8.5. It's close. Our offensive lines have gotten comparable and I would even possibly take our line with Saffold gone.

Our WR's have gotten much better, DL MUCH better, LBs better, CB's if Verrett can stay healthy... Much better.

The Rams are better on paper but I wouldn't be shocked if we were able to steal a game from them.

I think we can beat them, but it would be one of those games where we are playing A+ and the Rams are playing a B- game. I will say this, we will not sneak up on them.
I've seen NFL "experts" say anywhere from 4 to 9 wins, FWIW.

Most Rams projections are 8 to 11.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on May 18, 2019 at 4:56 PM ]
If the 49ers offensive line works out their glutes really hard, they could use the power of their butts to drive the Rams offensive line back 4 yards. The Matt Breida would simply need to run behind them and fall down to gain 4 yards. If they do that every play, they'd march down the field and score a TD, and win the time of possession battle. That would easily be enough to win the game.

There are some really good glute exercises out there, like Jane Fonda's buns of steel.
How much better? Maybe by 3 pts.
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Lots of pessimism here‼️ Can we just watch the games and show some optimism for our team❓I, for one, believe the Niners can beat the lambs and actually WIN the NFCW‼️ But that's just MY wishful thinking‼️ Hope to see a lot of you fans out there and we have an enjoyable season‼️😎

Oh, can someone tell me who David Carr is and where he gets his smoke from❓⁉️

David Carr is one of the biggest draft busts in the history of the NFL. That's all you need to know.
at the moment, we're both 0-0.
Goff over Jimmy G ...

Originally posted by RedGoldSquatch:
The NFL is all about matchups and position groups. If I had to break them down I say they work out this way:
QB - Toss up. Goff has holes in his game and Jimmy G hasn't proven things over the course over a whole season to be graded higher
HB. 49ers. The Rams are top heavy with Gurley clearly being the best talent but the 49ers have more depth
WR. Rams but.... based on the 49ers draft this could change drastically. If Deebo/Pettis end up being the players we all hope they can be then we win here as well
OL. Rams. The 49ers line is one of the weakest spots of the team
DL. I want to say the 9ers with the addition of Bosa/Ford but again they are unproved in working together so the Donald alone has to tilt this right?
LB. Draw
DB. Rams depending on health. If both of our starters stay healthy this gap is pretty minimal
P. I think we all know our 4th round sensation is the best punter in history already :D

So the Rams win more than the Niners but there are plenty of reasons for optimism and this script flips if the 9ers convert some of that potential into actual on the field play. I think it comes down to coaching, health, and growth. I think it's a toss up with the head coaching and if we could actually be healthy for a season I see no reason the 49ers can't compete with the Rams for the West. That being said I'm an unashamed homer.

I agree everything except QB. I believed Golf started off last season well, but he really struggled in the second half of the season and playoff. I would go with Jimmy G any day.

Because QB is so important, just that difference in our assessment would change the conclusion from Rams being much better to Rams being slightly better.
I guess we will have to wait and see. I don't think they are much better than us, if we can keep our guys healthy. We been having s**t luck with injuries, and things like that tend to even out, so we are due some good luck on the injury front.
They're better overall, imo, but if our pass rush can rattle Goff and Jimmy G. is on fire, we're capable of kicking their butts in any given game.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
How much better? Maybe by 3 pts.

This. He knows the math!

It's truth for now, but by the end of the season, we'll be 13 points better
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by T-9ers:
Originally posted by NinerTy:
Lots of pessimism here‼️ Can we just watch the games and show some optimism for our team❓I, for one, believe the Niners can beat the lambs and actually WIN the NFCW‼️ But that's just MY wishful thinking‼️ Hope to see a lot of you fans out there and we have an enjoyable season‼️😎

Oh, can someone tell me who David Carr is and where he gets his smoke from❓⁉️

David Carr is one of the biggest draft busts in the history of the NFL. That's all you need to know.

A bust indeed...one who never even came close to sniffing a SB w/out purchasing a ticket on Stub Hub

This Carr bust is like a ditzy chic in here saying Goff is better than JG or Sean the Boy Wenius is better than Shanny
Share 49ersWebzone