LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 241 users in the forums

How much better are the 49ers than the Rams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The Rams are Light years better. LOL.

They have Aaron Donald. You can go to the Super Bowl with that. We could have picked Quinnen Williams but we passed on him.

Well SD, we will just have to settle for the only guy who was either better than or as good as one off the two equally best players in the draft. Difference was we had 8 interior DTs, with somewhere between 3-4 starters , and NO DEs. This was the simplest choice amongst all our draft picks. Adding a 9th DT interior wasn't the move.

Taking an equally good or even better player for a position we had NONE of....well, that one just wasn't all that hard. Adding Q to our 8 other DTs made no sense to me...or others either, and obviously the FO felt the same way. Q would have been terrific...it just would ahve still meant we had no ER. Oh, okay, we got Dee Ford in FA.....but that was it. At DT, we already have more interiors than we can keep. Adding one more made not much sense.

This was a great pick , a pro bowler in time, and gave us the ER we just have not had. But then, you already know that.

As to the question, how much better are the rams?

Well, by far and away the biggest advantage is a top flite DC who has seen it all for them, with Wade. For us, we still have a green DC who will have some "help" with new DL coach and new DB coach, both of which can step in if Saleh doesn't really step up. He has to for us to even think about challenging Rams.

Joe Woods calling the pass D may not be enough. But we have two guys to step in if necessary. Inexperience at DC against the rams or any other good team is a killer. I hope for Kocurek and Woods to make the difference. But we'll see.

QBs....i like ours better.

HC, same. Don't get me wrong, McVay is not chopped liver. After BB and Kyle he is the 3rd best OC out there.

OL...they got is cold. But McG will be better, joe is a steady staple, and we have to hope Richburg is healthy. Altho with Laken and Person they have played together as a 5-some for a yr now, the Rams OL still has ours beat 2:1...if not more.

RBs. We ain't got no Gurley. But they ain't got no Breida, Jet, and our new guy.

WRs... Hurd/ deebo /Pettis/ Marquise can give their WRs an even match.

TEs...gotta like kittle/ Toilolo/ Kaden over the rams.

DL ...was huge rams over us...now i would say maybe still better slightly but Suh is gone, and we got 4 studs in Bosa, DEE, Buck and solomon/AA. Ok, 3 studs for sure. Breakout yr for Solomon, finally in the right position where he stays...Probably tossup.

LBs...probably Rams, but we went from Warner to warner + Kwon which is huge, + new guy.

DBs...okay here is big difference . Aquib + Peters is way, way better than a still not 100% Sherm. Plus we got not much at S, and rams do.

Rams also have played together as a unit for 3-4 yrs now, we have not.

Nod to rams, esp at DBs, DC, but most rest are pretty much close. We fix the DC slot and look out rams. I don't think there will be that much difference this yr once we play half a season together and see how the Deebo /Hurd thingy works out. If good....then even Steven with Rams. First game with rams, they probably win. But i bet we win the next one.

Oh...IMO .
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 17, 2019 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
One is Super Bowl caliber and the 49ers are bottom of the NFC West.

Still living in the past I see.

Present actually. Seems most of the people in this thread are still living in the Harbaugh years.

I just hope Kyle can beat the Cardinals before he gets fired. Would be a nice accomplishment for him.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The Rams are Light years better. LOL.

They have Aaron Donald. You can go to the Super Bowl with that. We could have picked Quinnen Williams but we passed on him.

I don't recall the Seahawks dominating the AFC with just Cortez Kennedy.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I think we're unproven to answer that.

This season will answer that question.

IMO, their OL is definitely better than ours.

Their DL was better but the jury is out w/our new additions in the picture.

You realize that they have no starting center or left guard.
[ Edited by Izyniner on May 17, 2019 at 3:26 PM ]
Rams are way better than us until proven otherwise. They beat us at nearly every position right now. Hopefully this year we close the gap some. Proof is in the results. Come on now.
[ Edited by Dajanksta on May 17, 2019 at 3:27 PM ]
In a year Rams will be in salary cap hell.

Injuries to some og their all star packed team could help even the playing field tho.

Their coach is trash imo..

Too many gadget plays and relies on that talent.
Originally posted by Dajanksta:
Rams are way better than us until proven otherwise. They beat us at nearly every position right now. Hopefully this year we close the gap some. Proof is in the results. Come on now.

Disagree...see above .

Parcel them out, position by position, and coach by coach, compare adn see what you come up with. My estimate is above.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 17, 2019 at 3:51 PM ]
The Rams are very good on paper, but also very vulnerable. Their defense is very flawed, same with their offense. The OL is another year older, they lost saffold. Also Goff got exposed towards the end of last year, he needs certain level of structure around him, once thats taken away he is mediocre. Also need to factor in a superbowl hangover.

THe niners still have a lot to prove on offense and defense. The secondary is also very flawed. Niners need a lot to break their way to be a playoff team. I dont think the gap is that large at this point.

But if I were a betting man, Id bet the rams have a better record.
Ill answer this question at the halfway point of the season. I feel how our seasons going to go all depends on our first game. We need to come out and make a statement week 1 and beat the bucs on the road then the Bengals week 2 if we win those 2 road games that will be a huge momentum swing for us. Then play our home opener against a not as good as they were a few years ago Steelers team which in my opinion is very winnable for us (remember jimmy g is still undefeated at home). If we can start 3-0 or even 4-0 which isnt impossible we play a home game against a talented browns team week 5 coming off our bs early bye week 4. By week 6 when we do play the Rams in L.a it could be a big game for the division even though itll still be early in the season. We need to get that momentum week 1 though to me thats a must win game just because we need to make a statement. If we lose that first game we'll prolly start the season 1-3 or 0-4 sad but true. We need that first one its a tough schedule this year. Our defensive line and Jimmy G can take us far we have to stay healthy too but we got potential to compete and even be better than the Rams. To me if the Rams dont have Gurley whose been injured theyre an average team. Goff aint that good he couldnt even score a td in the super bowl.
[ Edited by 24karat49er on May 17, 2019 at 4:25 PM ]
A lot of homers on here...

QB: Rams - Goff keeps getting better and threw for 4700 yards with a passer rating above 100 last year. Even if Garapollo can stay healthy for a full season, I'll go with the younger Goff. Garapollo has to prove he's more than an average starting QB.

RB: Rams - Gurley is probably the second best RB in the league after Saquon Barkley. That trumps having depth at RB.

WR: Rams by far. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp is one of the best WR tandems in the league. We don't have anyone as good as any of their top 3 receivers. This one isn't even close.

TE: 49ers. We have Kittle. They don't. Not as big a landslide as the WR race because they have two pretty good TEs.

OL: Rams by far.

DL: Wash - Donald is by far the best player on either defensive line and Fowler could be good, but we have Bosa, QW, and Ford.

LB: Wash, maybe slight edge to 49ers because Kwon Alexander is really good.

DB: Rams by far.

Special teams: Rams by far.

Rams are a much better football team.

Originally posted by eastcoast49ersfan:

QB: Rams - Goff keeps getting better and threw for 4700 yards with a passer rating above 100 last year. Even if Garapollo can stay healthy for a full season, I'll go with the younger Goff. Garapollo has to prove he's more than an average starting QB.

RB: Rams - Gurley is probably the second best RB in the league after Saquon Barkley. That trumps having depth at RB.

WR: Rams by far. Cooks, Woods, and Kupp is one of the best WR tandems in the league. We don't have anyone as good as any of their top 3 receivers. This one isn't even close.

TE: 49ers. We have Kittle. They don't. Not as big a landslide as the WR race because they have two pretty good TEs.

DL: Wash - Donald is by far the best player on either defensive line and Fowler could be good, but we have Bosa, QW, and Ford.

This x 100

And don't forget their dc is a million times better than ours
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

very fair.. they are a much much better team,. solid 11 to 12 wins,. we should get 8. expect no less, no matter what excuses there can be
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
They are much better than us and i don't see how after one offseason we can even compare

They have the better qb, the better rb and much better wrs. Our only advantage on offense are te and fb

On defense our front 7 can be similar or slightly better. Their dbs are 10x better than our disaster back there

K would be similar if Gould stays

They have the better p

They have the better coach. Their defensive coordinator is 100x better than ours

Rams are a 11-12 win team. I would be ecstatic if we get to 8 wins this seasons

Too early to compare with the sb runner ups right now. Let's give it another season. Revamp our ol and dbs and we COULD be in that conversation. Not yet
Can't say I agree with this at all. I think they might have a an edge in overall talent and depth but I don't think that they are markedly better. Granted they were resting their starters in 2017 when the 49ers gave them a beating in the second game of the season between them, but even with Hoyer at QB they played them tough in the first game and almost came away with a win. They got beat pretty good in the first game last year but they started off strong in the second game with Mullens at QB and then the wheels came off with Juice's fumble and a number of unforced errors. Even with all that they came back and put some points on the board to make the score more respectable. I think our roster is far better than it was in 2017 and, hopefully, we will have Jimmy G. and all of our other injured players back for the full season this year. I am not big on making predictions but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if we beat the Rams twice this year.
Rams linebackers are terrible. There is a reason why they struggle against the run year in and year out.

Without Saffold and a new center I don't see their OL being much better if at all.

Did we trade Buckner to the jets for QW? I must have slept in today
Share 49ersWebzone