There are 240 users in the forums

How much better are the 49ers than the Rams?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They are better but not unbeatable. For the 9ers to challenge the Lambs they must have a fast start. Their first 4 games are winnable and they face L.A. in week 5. I want to see something "special" right out of the gate! Like it is 2011 all over again. In 2011 I can remember sitting in a bar in Atlantic City watching the Dallas game. The 9ers lost in OT but looked really good and played hard. After that loss they won 8 straight.

That is what I need to see again.
A lot better, butt this is a new year.
Originally posted by T-9ers:
A lot better, butt this is a new year.

Lol... You said butt.
Well, to update since the last time I checked over 3 weeks ago, both teams are still going strong and remain undefeated this year. Too close to call.
In truth, it is a pointless conversation to have before the season starts. Aside from the Patriots, teams can become one of the best in the league or drop off dramatically in the span of one year. It happens every year to multiple teams. In a sport where major injuries are so prevalent, fortunes can change in the blink of an eye.

Using the Rams as an example ... their OL remained intact all season long. What are the odds of that happening again? And it appears that Gurley may have a career threatening situation starting to manifest. Whether the Rams stay dominant or if they drop off and come back to the pack, I would not be surprised either way. Same can be said for at least half the teams in the league.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
In truth, it is a pointless conversation to have before the season starts. Aside from the Patriots, teams can become one of the best in the league or drop off dramatically in the span of one year. It happens every year to multiple teams. In a sport where major injuries are so prevalent, fortunes can change in the blink of an eye.

Using the Rams as an example ... their OL remained intact all season long. What are the odds of that happening again? And it appears that Gurley may have a career threatening situation starting to manifest. Whether the Rams stay dominant or if they drop off and come back to the pack, I would not be surprised either way. Same can be said for at least half the teams in the league.

Even the Patriots aren't immune. What happens if Brady gets hurt early in the season? Who is going to lead them?
The Rams got destroyed by the Browns in this offseason's paper superbowl championship so the gap is closing.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Lol... You said butt.

When I took electrical at Laney, my teacher would point at his butt every time he said "but".
Originally posted by 5Jan2003:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The Rams are Light years better. LOL.

They have Aaron Donald. You can go to the Super Bowl with that. We could have picked Quinnen Williams but we passed on him.

Classic non sequitur, possible synecdoche, with a little schadenfreude mixed in.
Excellent take.
Go Niners!

Challenge accepted...

Non sequitur - a conclusion or statement that does not logically follow from the previous argument or statement.

Synedoche - a figure of speech in which a part is made to represent the whole or vice versa, as in Cleveland won by six runs (meaning "Cleveland's baseball team").

Schadenfreude - pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune

Legit just learned two completely new words and the true meaning of non sequitur.

We got a lot better, they didn't. Not sure exactly where we're at because, there are so many unknowns. I'm hoping we get a lot closer to our potential.
The Rams are so much better it's not even funny. This doesn't even belong as a discussion.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jun 8, 2019 at 5:18 PM ]

The Rams are so much better it's no even funny. This doesn't even belong as a discussion.

Great insight
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pd24:
The Rams are good, but they lost some pieces and Gurley's knee will be a concern. They also downgraded on the D line and O line.

Exactly how much better is their roster better than ours?

In looking at both teams, it looks like we have a real shot to win this division this season.

In defense they couldn't stop the run, and I don't think they improved. They also don't have LBs and safety's that can cover the middle of the field.

What do you guys think, are we close?

They have a much better defensive coordinator
Originally posted by FaTaL:
They have a much better defensive coordinator

Yes, Wade is top notch. He has seen it all, from both HC and DC perspectives, and has completely removed the D from McVays responsiiblilites, leaving him to scheme the O all game.

Kyle...well, not so much. I posited months ago it was because kyle wants to DC his own team. Admirable but there is still a steep learning curve, if one wants to be in the same league as Wade. Meantime, kyle needs to do better , get better people on the D coaching staff. Bingo, that was one of the things kyle and john first did this yr...acquired a new DL coach, and a superb one, and also a new DB coach...and again an excellent one. Both guys interviews were exciting and extremely hopeful.. we have a very good LB coach in Saleh.

If the D gets off to a bad start this yr, we now have on staff, a pair of D coaches , either of which can step in and not miss a beat. I hope the combo of kocurek/Woods,/ saleh works out tho. I do like all three. But saleh was not adequate coaching DBs nor DL. I think this will work.

Ultimately, i expect kyle to become his own DC, and never will have to worry about losing a DC again. BB did it out of necessity...he lost a DC or OC routinely, after one good yr with him, they moved on to HC jobs elsewhere. But this is still premature for kyle so the new arrangement sounds promising.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Jun 8, 2019 at 8:46 AM ]
The Rams are so much better it's no even funny. This doesn't even belong as a discussion.

My response above stands. How can anyone be sure of anything before camp even starts lol.
  • FaTaL
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Yes, Wade is top notch. He has seen it all, from both HC and DC perspectives, and has completely removed the D from McVays responsiiblilites, leaving him to scheme the O all game.

Kyle...well, not so much. I posited months ago it was because kyle wants to DC his own team. Admirable but there is still a steep learning curve, if one wants to be in the same league as Wade. Meantime, kyle needs to do better , get better people on the D coaching staff. Bingo, that was one of the things kyle and john first did this yr...acquired a new DL coach, and a superb one, and also a new DB coach...and again an excellent one. Both guys interviews were exciting and extremely hopeful.. we have a very good LB coach in Saleh.

If the D gets off to a bad start this yr, we now have on staff, a pair of D coaches , either of which can step in and not miss a beat. I hope the combo of kocurek/Woods,/ saleh works out tho. I do like all three. But saleh was not adequate coaching DBs nor DL. I think this will work.

Ultimately, i expect kyle to become his own DC, and never will have to worry about losing a DC again. BB did it out of necessity...he lost a DC or OC routinely, after one good yr with him, they moved on to HC jobs elsewhere. But this is still premature for kyle so the new arrangement sounds promising.

I hope your joking about shanahan getting involved with the defense. Belichick is one of the greatest defensive coaches of all time and it doesn't matter who runs his offense as long as Brady is there
Share 49ersWebzone