There are 183 users in the forums

UDFA Wilton Speight QB UCLA/Michigan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by jcs:
Only HC to get any kind of reasonable play from Kap was Harbs...guy is a miracle worker.

He definitely put Kap in an offensive system that fit with his skill set. Unfortunately HarBaalke could never draft the WR's needed for that kind of offense. A run heavy, run first offense, needs speed at the WR spots and all HarBaalke could come up with was Bruce Ellington -- who was, I felt, no faster than a 3rd round Tight End. A guy like Goodwin would have dominated and produced in that kind of vertical offense with Kap's rocket launcher arm.

T. Smith was with Kap

yeah but Harbaugh was gone.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
CHICAGO — Since Jim Harbaugh arrived at Michigan in 2015, the expectation was that, as a great offensive mind, the Wolverines would run a pro-style set that punished defenses in ways that were reminiscent of teams run by his mentor, Bo Schembechler. And it looked like that would be the case early on, with the passing game being the second-best in Michigan history in his first year, and the second-most productive offense in the modern era in 2016.But 2017 saw something of a downshift. After Wilton Speight was injured in Week Four, the offense sputtered more than it had in the first few weeks where inexperience across the board highlighted a lack of cohesion.
https://wolverineswire.usatoday.com/2019/07/21/michigan-football-jim-harbaugh-josh-gattis-rpo-speed-in-space-offense-2019-big-ten-media-days/

If Wilton can replicate how well he did in 2016 under Harbaugh, with Kyle, I think he can make the team as the practice squad guy.

Also interesting - this year Harbaugh is going to more of a spread offense in Michigan. Hopefully he can stay out of the offense and let his new OC just do his job, maybe Harbaugh can start changing his colors. Not going to bet on that, but who knows.

From today's practice, where's Wilton? (9ers version of where's Waldo)

Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Giving Harbaugh Shanny's secret playbook duh.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:

Giving Harbaugh Shanny's secret playbook duh.

He may still be absorbing the playbook. I mean, the last couple of training camps it was Jimmy and Cj, and Mullens wasn't anywhere to be found. Now it's Wilton.

He's a tall guy, so I'd think he'd be easy to spot, but nobody in the press is interested in him right now.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Undrafted rookie Wilton Speight closed out the final six minutes of the game and went 2-of-3 passing for 10 yards.
https://www.49ers.com/news/10-takeaways-from-49ers-preseason-victory-vs-cowboys

He throws a nice catchable ball. He threw a nice screen. The guy towers over the OLinemen, and he threw a deep pass that I don't think Mullen's could have thrown. Having said that, I think Speight is a lock for the practice squad. He did well in calling the plays and throwing some screens. I can see us keeping Mullens and Jimmy and either letting BeatHard go or trading him. (hopefully we can trade BeatHard for some OLine help).
As a Bruin fan, I think he's better then beathard
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erWill:

Well, what I've seen of Wilton, I think he can potentially beat Mullens next year if he's given a chance. Bigger, Taller, faster, and I think his arm is stronger than Mullens. Having said that, the big thing about Mullens is his command of Kyle's offense. I think it's as good as Jimmy's. If Wilton makes the team, he really has to know Kyle's offense inside and out to have a chance to beat out Mullens for the backup role.

But yea, I agree, I like him better than BeatHard at this point in time.

Well, what I've seen of Wilton, I think he can potentially beat Mullens next year if he's given a chance. Bigger, Taller, faster, and I think his arm is stronger than Mullens. Having said that, the big thing about Mullens is his command of Kyle's offense. I think it's as good as Jimmy's. If Wilton makes the team, he really has to know Kyle's offense inside and out to have a chance to beat out Mullens for the backup role.

If beathard wasn't a 3rd rounder he would be gone in my opinion.

Agree on all counts.

Speight can prolly get sneaked through waivers and put on the practice squad. He looked solid in very limited time.

This.

Wilton was better than Beathard when both were in the Big Ten.

Both are garbage tho
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

He has good physical tools. I still remember him running for a TD in his rookie preseason game. So he has good athleticism- unfortunately the QB position is almost 90% mental. If he had Jimmy's speed reading ability, he'd be Jimmy 2.0.
in my opinion, he is better than Beathard. Send Speight to the practice squad and mold him into another Mullens.

Beathard can't even look good against 3rd stringers.
Rookie Wilton Speight took his first full-team snaps and was 3-of-3 in red zone action.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/08/13/49ers-camp-beathard-thumb-injury-again-could-clear-up-qb-race/amp/
Share 49ersWebzone