LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

UDFA Wilton Speight QB UCLA/Michigan

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Chip Kelly did a good job coaching Wilt up last year, I watched all but the his best game of the year was against AZST. WS showed steady improvement throughout the season.

I hope Wilton can make the practice squad. I think that's a reasonable goal for him.

Wilton Speight is the forgotten fourth quarterback on the roster, an undrafted rookie out of UCLA.
Seeing him on the roster for Week 1 would be a miracle of biblical proportions, given the people above him on the depth chart. He would need to have some injuries happen, as well as perform well enough to convince the 49ers not to sign somebody else
https://ninernoise.com/2019/06/24/49ers-2019-state-franchise-quarterbacks/
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
So Wilton has as quick a release as Mullens, so this article says....
Why Wilton Speight Improves in 2019Speight does have an ideal body size for an NFL-level quarterback. And there are solid other traits, too, which he should look to in order to improve his stock.
Despite having a porous offensive line at UCLA, Speight managed to handle pressure awfully well, showing both poise and quick releases, evidenced in the video below:
Those traits should be well received in Shanahan's offense, which is predicated on proper timing and hitting open receivers schemed to get into space.
Speight doesn't seem to have any problem reading those kinds of plays, and quick releases are what made Mullens effective late in 2018, too.
https://ninernoise.com/2019/07/05/49ers-2019-series-quarterback-wilton-speight/

A Harbaugh trained QB? No thanks.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yea that Andrew luck is terrible.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Dsoto87:

The guy left Michigan, so the training was INCOMPLETE!!

That means, he's RAW and will learn new lesson from Shanny !!!

LOL. I think it might have been the other way around.
Heard he's the next Wilton Speight.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Chip Kelly did a good job coaching Wilt up last year, I watched all but the his best game of the year was against AZST. WS showed steady improvement throughout the season.

My hope is he continues to improve, stay healthy, and challenge for the 2nd spot in his second year. He's a very tall player (6'4") as compared to Mullens (6'1"), so the screen pass is going to be deadly for Wilton. He can get those nice soft lobs over the DLine and Linebackers without having the OLine chop block. Also, I think Wilton's arm is a tad bit stronger than Mullens arm, which helps with the deeper balls. Once he gets the offense down, I'm thinking he'll be a much better backup than Mullen - assuming - he can read the defenses as fast as Mullens.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Harbaugh did a decent job with Alex Smith, and Wilton kind of reminds me of Alex in that sense. Safe, pocket QB, with a good upside. I think Harbaugh teaches his QB's good mechanics. It's not so much the QB that is at fault in Harbaugh's offense, I think it's more his offensive scheme that makes his QB's look sucky. Andrew had David Shaw, Colin had nobody, except an Ex-OLineman to coach him on how to play QB.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Giedi:

Harbaugh did a decent job with Alex Smith, and Wilton kind of reminds me of Alex in that sense. Safe, pocket QB, with a good upside. I think Harbaugh teaches his QB's good mechanics. It's not so much the QB that is at fault in Harbaugh's offense, I think it's more his offensive scheme that makes his QB's look sucky. Andrew had David Shaw, Colin had nobody, except an Ex-OLineman to coach him on how to play QB.

Only HC to get any kind of reasonable play from Kap was Harbs...guy is a miracle worker.

• 9moon
  • Veteran
As much wish this guy get from everyone here, I just think that developing a QB is fun... especially when nothing is expected out of the guy...

.. the best thing that's going for him is that we're in NO rush to get his beak wet..
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
I think one of the reasons Wilton didn't do well as a QB in college was his crap OC and Harbaugh basically holding the offense back with his run first philosophy. I hope that Kyle can develop him the way Kyle developed Mullens.

Speight had more "90" votes than anyone besides Brown. The 67 saved him. In college, Speight never really did anything to separate himself from the pack. Calling him a "middling quarterback" would be a compliment. He did do enough to warrant a spot at training camp, though. He will have to impress to earn a spot on the practice squad.
https://www.ninersnation.com/2019/7/23/20706145/49ers-90-man-roster-ranking-2019-cedric-thornton-wesley-johnson
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
As much wish this guy get from everyone here, I just think that developing a QB is fun... especially when nothing is expected out of the guy...

.. the best thing that's going for him is that we're in NO rush to get his beak wet..

Between Mullens and Wilton, I think Wilton's arm is stronger than Mullens. I also think he's a shoo in for the practice squad. My gut feeling is BeatHard is going to get traded. so much for trump calling him the next Brady (which I wish was true by the way).
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by jcs:
Only HC to get any kind of reasonable play from Kap was Harbs...guy is a miracle worker.

He definitely put Kap in an offensive system that fit with his skill set. Unfortunately HarBaalke could never draft the WR's needed for that kind of offense. A run heavy, run first offense, needs speed at the WR spots and all HarBaalke could come up with was Bruce Ellington -- who was, I felt, no faster than a 3rd round Tight End. A guy like Goodwin would have dominated and produced in that kind of vertical offense with Kap's rocket launcher arm.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by jcs:

He definitely put Kap in an offensive system that fit with his skill set. Unfortunately HarBaalke could never draft the WR's needed for that kind of offense. A run heavy, run first offense, needs speed at the WR spots and all HarBaalke could come up with was Bruce Ellington -- who was, I felt, no faster than a 3rd round Tight End. A guy like Goodwin would have dominated and produced in that kind of vertical offense with Kap's rocket launcher arm.

T. Smith was with Kap
Share 49ersWebzone