LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 236 users in the forums

Top 10 Offensive Player Developments to Track in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I wanna see how Ross Reynolds develops @ guard.
Originally posted by Giedi:
One of the reasons, I think, for going with Deebo and Hurd was because we lost Garcon to injury and we had redzone scoring problems last year. I also like Taylor bourne and James, but if you can just upsize any of the three (get bigger, faster, stronger etc...) then you can trade Tayor, Bourne, or James for some possible draft picks.

I'm hoping this will be the last time were drafting #2 pick in the draft. Look at the Patriots. They draft dead last pretty much every year and they continue to have playoff success every year. I think that organization hits more than misses in the low and late round picks. Hope we can replicate that here.

I don't think anyone can reasonably compare to the patriots. That is 20 year dinasty right there. We are just beginning again

The point about the WRs was that a starter in the defensive backfield was needed much more than two receivers, given that we already have some competent receivers and all of our dbs (except Sherman) are totally incompetent

Samuels and a cb or s would have been ok

Samuels plus another wr is neglecting our current worst part of the roster
GREAT post
Garnett can be a really valuable back-up guard for us this season. I'm with you though, I never liked the pick and obviously he has been a bust here so far.

Trent Taylor/Richie James- I like James more and I'm rooting for him to beat-out Trent but I think Trent makes it and Richie gets traded before the season.

I think Dante Pettis is on to big things here. I'm looking for a 60-70 catch season with possibly a 1,000yds.

C.J Beathard I think fails to make the team and is out of the league within a few years.

Mike McGlinchy= solid as a rock. I don't want to jinx him but I think he is a good to very good 10 year NFL starting OT
Garnett can be a really valuable back-up guard for us this season. I'm with you though, I never liked the pick and obviously he has been a bust here so far.

Trent Taylor/Richie James- I like James more and I'm rooting for him to beat-out Trent but I think Trent makes it and Richie gets traded before the season.

I think Dante Pettis is on to big things here. I'm looking for a 60-70 catch season with possibly a 1,000yds.

Kenderick Bourne is headed for a tough battle to make the team for the 3rd year in a row. I feel he is battleing Jordan Matthews in particular for a spot. I'm rooting for Bourne.

Shonn Coleman is very intriguing. He was a projected 2nd Rd pick going into the 2017 draft but fell due to some health issues. He's 6'6" with long arms and I think he can be a solid and valuable back-up swing OT.

Erik Magnuson is a guy who always starts of looking really good in TC and then gets hurt.
He is very versatile though and could be a really valuable backup center and guard and can also play tackle in a pinch. He could be another Adam Snyder for us.

C.J Beathard I think fails to make the team and is out of the league within a few years.

Mike McGlinchy= solid as a rock. I don't want to jinx him but I think he is a good to very good 10 year NFL starting OT
This strategy of drafting 2 WRs and not taking either a DB or OG, will be argued into the new season. If it works out, then kyle and John will be looked at as geniuses. My guess is that JL isn't done yet and is still waiting for cap cuts to bring in a DB and OG....at least i sure hope so. If this doesn't come to pass, then we will see if drafting Deebo and Hurd #1 and #2 for our first two picks works out.

If suddenly JimmyG can get the ball out in RZ and 3rd downs, move the chains, and not get pasted after every pass, then this was a great drafting strategy. Actually, i am anxious to see how this works out. If even with these two guys we still have RZ issues, then there will be an uproar. I am hoping this works as it was meant to...and JG gets protected and doesnt' take the kind of beating doled out to all our QBs last two yrs.

For many of us this is a big deal and i would think most are anxious to find out . Man i hope it works.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on May 13, 2019 at 12:22 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
This strategy of drafting 2 WRs and not taking either a DB or OG, will be argued into the new season. If it works out, then kyle and John will be looked at as geniuses. My guess is that JL isn't done yet and is still waiting for cap cuts to bring in a DB and OG....at least i sure hope so. If this doesn't come to pass, then we will see if drafting Deebo and Hurd #1 and #2 for our first two picks.

If suddenly JimmyG can get the ball out in RZ and 3rd downs, move the chains, and not get pasted after every pass, then this was a great drafting strategy. Actually, i am anxious to see how this works out. If even with these two guys we still have RZ issues, then there will be an uproar. I am hoping this works as it was meant to...and JG gets protected and doesnt' take the kind of beating doled out to all our QBs last two yrs.

For many of us this is a big deal and i would think most are anxious to find out . Man i hope it works.

My concern is if we pick up an OL, would they be able to play with no off-season to learn our scheme? Unless they have familiarity with Shanahan, it may not happen.
This strategy of drafting 2 WRs and not taking either a DB or OG, will be argued into the new season. If it works out, then kyle and John will be looked at as geniuses. My guess is that JL isn't done yet and is still waiting for cap cuts to bring in a DB and OG....at least i sure hope so. If this doesn't come to pass, then we will see if drafting Deebo and Hurd #1 and #2 for our first two picks.

Hopefully it will work as you described

But seeing our last 5 years of extremely poor play at db, and the fact that we have only 1 decent db while the rest of them are worthless, I still think that was much more of a need instead of another extra wr (Hurd)
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

My concern is if we pick up an OL, would they be able to play with no off-season to learn our scheme? Unless they have familiarity with Shanahan, it may not happen.

Certainly a concern, and if we got an OG at near the start of the season, hard to imagine it works well for at least a month, maybe more. As for DB brot in then, it should be ok. Not perfect but ok. OG....there, yup, gonna take some time.
Originally posted by alwayssecond:

But seeing our last 5 years of extremely poor play at db, and the fact that we have only 1 decent db while the rest of them are worthless, I still think that was much more of a need instead of another extra wr (Hurd)

Nothing to argue with here, but I have hope John finds us someone. Recall that last yr, way into and past midseason, he was bringing in guys for a looksee, something Baalke never did. I had to admire his stick-to-it-tive-ness. He was working to the bitter end. So i won't be surprised if he brings in a cap cut . We just have to wait it out.

Also we do have a surfeit of WRs and DTs (interior) , a number of whom could easily start eleswhere. So an outright trade isn't out of the question ,either.

I don't think Matthews has any trade value since he's been so up an down. Bourne has the arrow up so he could definitely net us something.

Ultimately, while I'd hate to see any good players leave, I hope the players that won't make the team play well enough to get traded. Definitely don't want to cut anyone and lose them for nothing.
Originally posted by alwayssecond:

Nothing to argue with here, but I have hope John finds us someone. Recall that last yr, way into and past midseason, he was bringing in guys for a looksee, something Baalke never did. I had to admire his stick-to-it-tive-ness. He was working to the bitter end. So i won't be surprised if he brings in a cap cut . We just have to wait it out.

Also we do have a surfeit of WRs and DTs (interior) , a number of whom could easily start eleswhere. So an outright trade isn't out of the question ,either.

If Tarvarius Moore plays free safety we might be staight hes a ball hawk 4.3 sideline to sideline speed and he can tackle. Hopefully our team can stay healthy we have depth though. Dj Reed can play Fs too. Our strong safetys should be fine. And our corners will be good Sherman supposed to be 100% healthy. An improved pass rush should help our whole secondary. I hope they play Moore at FS and he shines we can be a top 5 defense top 10 offense.
great post, aren't we the lucky team to have Shanny the master? Paraag totally hitted a home run in hiring Shanny.
Jimmy G needs to step up and be the guy we paid for. He was saying that injury was a blessing in disguise and that he spent the year off mastering his mental game and being on the same page with shanny knowing the whole playbook and all. He has to execute and translate all his knowledge onto the field come game day. Our success is predicated on Jimmy G's play and health this is the main offensive development i wanna see. And i hope Pettis tears it up too in year 2. I want them to come out and torch the Bucc's D week one show the league we aint playing.
Originally posted by 24karat49er:
Jimmy G needs to step up and be the guy we paid for. He was saying that injury was a blessing in disguise and that he spent the year off mastering his mental game and being on the same page with shanny knowing the whole playbook and all. He has to execute and translate all his knowledge onto the field come game day. Our success is predicated on Jimmy G's play and health this is the main offensive development i wanna see. And i hope Pettis tears it up too in year 2. I want them to come out and torch the Bucc's D week one show the league we aint playing.

Matt Ryan said it took him time to master Shanahan offense. Jimmy hasn't even had a full season playing in it yet. And he's got to build chemistry with new players on offense too.
Share 49ersWebzone