LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 268 users in the forums

Top 10 Offensive Player Developments to Track in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I sure would like to see some cut-ups specifically of Garnett's snaps. Thl, jonny, what are the chances we can get a look at those?

I just skimmed through that week 17 game and there were only about 4-5 times where he went toe to toe with Donald in a 1v1 situation. He didn't get embarrassed. I'll try to post cutups at some point. It's a long offseason.

That would be fantastic! I would love to see what he did with his snaps last year, the few times he played last season.
Originally posted by zonkers:
For me Number 1 is Jimmy G. The guy has 10 career starts. I know he's a 5th year vet but holding a clipboard doesn't count as experience. He can crunch all the film he wants from the all22, that's not close to being behind the offensive line making reads. He's a toddler in terms of QB experience and has a lot of development to go through.
Yes. Great point. He's the cornerstone piece.
Fair point, indeed. While he didn't meet the criteria to be among those that I would list, I think we all very much hope that Jimmy G shows an improved ability to play within the system. 2017 was natural ability/street ball improv. 2018 was easing into the nuances of the system. I don't know if watching the game will have given him the chance to do that mentally, but I hope so. He seemed to have things down in New England when he was in that situation. But again, that's a small sample size.

I feel like players 1-8 could all potentially get traded at some point, with the exception of Mullens this year. I don't think he goes anywhere, at least not yet. It would be nice to get some draft capital out of players that wouldn't otherwise make the team.
What is the criteria for being on the list? Players that haven't shown much but might develop into something?

The reason why I think Jimmy should be on this list is because I don't think any QB is fully developed after 10 NFL starts, two of which he didn't finish. I'm not saying he isn't good, I'm saying he has a lot of room to develop and improve because once he plays against all the different defenses, and experiences all the different game situations, he'll become a better player. If you think he's good now, which I do, expect him to get better as he plays and develops in Kyle's offense.
My top 5:
Jimmy
Pettis: looked good. Let's see how much trust he can earn from Jimmy and how well they mesh. That TD vs MIN is what develops trust between QB and WR.
Taylor: show that he's recovered from his back surgery. He had chemistry with Jimmy on a few broken plays in 2017. If he can continue that he should win snaps over Richie James.
Garnett: Outland trophy winner, rebuilt physique. Time to show what he's got. Come to camp healthy and win snaps over a journeyman (Person).
Bourne: he has his moments but with two more WR prospects, he has lots of competition for a spot on the team.

Criteria was the player had to be entering their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year in the NFL.
  • thl408
Originally posted by Waterbear:
No do it now!

.... please

Here's a play that's highlightable. It's not against Donald but it's funny so it stood out. First he blocks Person then moves on to block Juice. Good showing of agility.
  • thl408
Criteria was the player had to be entering their 2nd, 3rd, or 4th year in the NFL.

Oh sorry. Didn't see that stated anywhere.
Additional to the other suggestions I shall be watching AA and ST. With the edge sorted, one or both of these guys, or one of the others, is going to have every opportunity to break through. I know most of the zone has given up on both of them but I still have hopes.
  • thl408
Originally posted by English:
Additional to the other suggestions I shall be watching AA and ST. With the edge sorted, one or both of these guys, or one of the others, is going to have every opportunity to break through. I know most of the zone has given up on both of them but I still have hopes.
OTC got that covered.
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/192486-top-defensive-player-developments-track-2019/
Originally posted by Waterbear:
No do it now!

.... please

Here's a play that's highlightable. It's not against Donald but it's funny so it stood out. First he blocks Person then moves on to block Juice. Good showing of agility.

Wow, looked like half the line was running a different play than whatever was called.. Uhm.
Originally posted by English:
OTC got that covered.
https://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/niners/192486-top-defensive-player-developments-track-2019/

Been a long day!
So, I started out with defense. But what about offense? There's now a logjam at receiver and running, along with the stage settle for a battle between depth players on the interior OL and TE spots. These would be my top 10 players on offense to track development of:

1. OG Joshua Garnett
As one who was NEVER a fan of the pick from the beginning, he had an unsurprisingly rough start. He hasn't stayed healthy, and hasn't appeared to be particularly liked by the coaching staff. That said, last year when he played, he actually wasn't bad. He was neck and neck with Mike Person and seemed to do well for a bit when Person left Week 1's game hurt. He shockingly stifled Aaron Donald in Week 17 after filling in for an injured Laken Tomlinson, getting into a scuffle with him as Donald seemed angered that Garnett wouldn't just get out of the way and let him sack Mullens. At one point, I even saw him get snaps at center. All this said, even though his option was declined, by no means does that guarantee he won't return. The window may be small, but he has a golden chance to prove himself this year. It's up to him to step it up and seize that opportunity.

2. QB CJ Beathard
Beathard is a guy that's easy to like because of his toughness, heart, deep ball accuracy, and the fact that he's always kind of been an underdog. His processing speed just hasn't been nearly good enough, and he's a prime candidate to get traded after getting outplayed by Mullens. To be frank, it's unfair to totally blame him for several of our losses. While he had his share of mistakes, let's not forget that the entire team around him was screwing things up royally at the worst times as well. With Mullens the clear front-runner to be QB2, I have to wonder if perhaps a fire will be lit so strongly under Beathard, that maybe in year three we see a different guy. I'm not holding my breath, and I'm sure many fans won't either, but he's an intriguing young player to watch. I like the guy, and might not be totally opposed to keeping him as a third QB if the team decides to do so.

3. WR Kendrick Bourne
Not the biggest, not the fastest, but just seems to have enough ability to get open and make tough catches when he has to. He made nice strides from year one to year two, and he'll have to do the same in year three in order to make the team. However, I wouldn't be totally surprised either if he were traded, depending on what the team sees in its other up-and-coming young players.

4. WR Richie James
James offers more versatility as a runner on jet sweeps, KR ability Trent doesn't have, he hasn't been hurt, and he's faster than Trent Taylor. All of these things should give him an edge right? Not necessarily. In the receiving game, Taylor's per game production -- despite being hurt last year -- still dwarfs James' and Richie will need to take it to another level to make the squad as a slot receiver. As it stands right now, Taylor is the better pure slot receiver.

5. WR Trent Taylor
Jimmy G's security blanket in 2017, he just couldn't get open in 2018. How much did his back injury affect this? He's in for a tough battle with Richie James, and Jalen Hurd's ability to play the slot could push Taylor out via trade as well. Still, he's the most experienced and proven slot receiver we have among the group of him, James, and the newcomer Hurd.

6. OT Shonn Coleman
We really have no idea what he can do at this point since his acquisition came so late in the pre-season, he had no chance to learn the offense in time. He'll compete for the swing tackle job, but he'll have to beat out rookie Justin Skule. Hopefully he shows us he's worth keeping around.

7. QB Nick Mullens
No NFL starts, no problem. Mullens was the feel-good story of the year for the Niners, helping us finally beat those pesky Seahawks. While he has his limitations, he proved he could very well be a start in the NFL. With less than a year of starts under his belt, and entering just his third season in 2019, I feel really good about our QB situation if Mullens has to play at all. Obviously we hope he can sit comfortably on the bench all year, but it's nice to know we've got a guy that could start somewhere else one day.

8. OG Erik Magnuson
Magnuson seemed to do better at guard than center. He keeps showing flashes, but he hasn't had much playing time and has been banged up the past two seasons. While it seems like he's a good bet to make the team again, I think the fact that the team continues to pickup interior OL off the street just signals the incumbent depth may be in the danger zone.

9. WR Dante Pettis
Pettis has the talent to be a star if he can avoid getting hurt, I'm just worried he's always going to be dinged up. Perhaps he just needs to avoid taking any kind of a hit whatsoever. We definitely need him because he's currently the best receiver on the team.

10. OT Mike McGlinchey
It's everyone's expectation that Mike is on his way to being a Pro Bowl OT very soon. If we're winning, I imagine he'll get those honors. No sophomore slump, please.

I like that you didn't necessarily point out stars or the post obvious picks. Great breakdown on each and I can honestly say, I don't disagree with much.

1. With Garnett, the guy did have talent and I liked the pick at the time. Even though he hasn't worked out, the guy definitely was the best guard available in 2016. I'm not optimistic at all in his ability to contribute this year. I just don't put much faith in what I haven't seen. This is the opposite of Jason Verrett who HAS proved he can be a really good player when healthy. Garnett hasn't played long enough to be given that type of consideration. My thought is if he isn't in the top 3 with guards or if the 4th guy is close to Garnett, he's cut/traded.

2. I have a soft spot in my heart simply because of his willingness to sit in the pocket and take punishment and he got us our first win of 2017. I hope he would've made a better showing for himself in 2018. I'm not sure what the 49ers do going forward. If he isn't on the roster in the fall, this is indeed a bust of a pick. I expect a 3rd rounded to be able to finish th

3. I see Bourne getting future endeavored. For what he offers, I just don't see him cracking the top 6 with the receiving talent on the roster. I hope he has trade value.

4. This is an underdog that I am rooting for. His return ability IMO is likely what keeps him on the roster.

5. Bubble guy, but I think he makes the cut.

6. Can't say much about the guy. If he is the swing tackle and dominates in preseason (he will be up against 2s and 3s), then it will speak well of the coaching staff's ability to develop players.

7. The guy that people foolishly wanted to trade for a draft pick. There is no way I'm trading a starting caliber QB unless it's a contract year and we can't get a deal done. Mullens should remain with the team as long as possible. One of the great developments of 2018, I hope he continues to improve in 2019. It will also be interesting to see what happens with CJ Beathard, as his fate is most likely directly tied into how Mullens performs. Nick Mullens has to know he has the edge on CJ Beathard. The number 2 job is his to lose.

8. Agree 100%. KS want to upgrade OG. No question about it. They may have passed on drafting a guy, but they are definitely bringing in multiple bodies at the same position, hoping someone can show some mustard.

9. I think Pettis can turn into a surprise number 1 receiver, if he can stay healthy and if he has the work ethic. He has tremendous ability to get open and because of the players he will be surrounded with, it would be dangerous to double him. I expect many DBs to get shaken out of their cleats this year.

10. Homerun pick. It would be hilarious if MM makes a Pro-Bowl or All-Pro before Trent Brown. I'm not predicting it. Just saying it would be pretty funny. It's going to be fun watching him block for Coleman, Breida, and McKinnon. Hoping that pass pro improves even more this year.
All Taylor Bourne and James are valuable. I wouldn't want to part with any of those 3. This is why I though drafting 2 wr early was a mistake. We had a much larger need in cb or s than wr, and now 1 or 2 of this 3 fine wrs will be producing for a different team, while tartt, ward, colbert and witherspoon are still getting many snaps with nothing to show for it

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by alwayssecond:
All Taylor Bourne and James are valuable. I wouldn't want to part with any of those 3. This is why I though drafting 2 wr early was a mistake. We had a much larger need in cb or s than wr, and now 1 or 2 of this 3 fine wrs will be producing for a different team, while tartt, ward, colbert and witherspoon are still getting many snaps with nothing to show for it

One of the reasons, I think, for going with Deebo and Hurd was because we lost Garcon to injury and we had redzone scoring problems last year. I also like Taylor bourne and James, but if you can just upsize any of the three (get bigger, faster, stronger etc...) then you can trade Tayor, Bourne, or James for some possible draft picks.

I'm hoping this will be the last time were drafting #2 pick in the draft. Look at the Patriots. They draft dead last pretty much every year and they continue to have playoff success every year. I think that organization hits more than misses in the low and late round picks. Hope we can replicate that here.
1/2 these guys won't be here in a few months but you never know. This FO and coaching staff do fall into unhealthy relationships with players (Ward, Mabin, Tomlinson, BeatHard, etc.) ahf just won't let them go.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
1/2 these guys won't be here in a few months but you never know. This FO and coaching staff do fall into unhealthy relationships with players (Ward, Mabin, Tomlinson, BeatHard, etc.) ahf just won't let them go.

I think, maybe one reason is if a player is a perfect scheme fit. They may be reluctant to let that player go even if they have a history of injuries.

Now with BeatHard, he was completely outshone by a surprise undrafted guy. That was completely unexpected, and it's my hope they are able to let BeatHard go and trade him for some draft picks.

We have a lost a lot of offensive coaches, and it's my hope that those lost coaches to other teams can take our surplus offensive talent and give us back some draft capital.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NCommand:

I think, maybe one reason is if a player is a perfect scheme fit. They may be reluctant to let that player go even if they have a history of injuries.

Now with BeatHard, he was completely outshone by a surprise undrafted guy. That was completely unexpected, and it's my hope they are able to let BeatHard go and trade him for some draft picks.

We have a lost a lot of offensive coaches, and it's my hope that those lost coaches to other teams can take our surplus offensive talent and give us back some draft capital.

Failed to consider this. Maybe Denver would be a spot for Kendrick Bourne. Granted, I know why we gave then a 4th for Kapri Bibbs, but they owe us lol. Bourne would at least make Denver's roster of traded there.
I still want to see Pettis with 10-12 more lbs of muscle on him.
Share 49ersWebzone