LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 233 users in the forums

Top 10 Defensive Player Developments to Track in 2019

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Nice post, good analysis and on the whole I agree.

I understand the frustration behind the position switching, but I think I have my head around it.

It seems to me if the team think you can start at a position you will get to play there, but if they think you are depth you will be forced to move around.

DJ Reed for example didn't beat out K'wan so he was asked to put work in at Safety in a "the more you can do" type deal. I think Tavarius Moore will be asked to move around this year, they no he could play Safety, just giving him a shot at becoming a starting CB.
Maybe Sheldon Day doesn't count, but I thought he was more effective than ST and I think that guy was a steal.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NCommand:
Good stuff. Pita will be the only one not here come the final 53.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to be right about that.
What about the development of Jason Verretts minute by minute injury status, lol
Originally posted by KamLeon:
What about the development of Jason Verretts minute by minute injury status, lol

Who will have more minutes on the IR

Verett or Ward

#TOP10questionsSCIENCEstillcantANSWER.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Originally posted by KamLeon:

Who will have more minutes on the IR

Verett or Ward

#TOP10questionsSCIENCEstillcantANSWER.

They'll be a tag team... 49ers version of 'Goofy Gophers'

Ward: I'm hurt again

Verrett: Oh I'm hurt

Ward: I'm sorry, after you

Verrett: No, after you

Ward: I insist, after you...

Verrett: Let's both just go on IR together

Ward: Yes yes, after all, it is inevitable

• LVJay
  • Veteran
I'm intrigued with Moore. I hope he continues to develop as a CB and still be able to switch to playing safety at any given time. Harris was pretty good last year as well. If those two continue their growth and not digress the way Spoon / Colbert did, the secondary won't blow again...

I wonder if Blair could get better under Kocurek. Even if he already reached his potential, he's still a good rotational guy to have.
Primary Position Battles on Defense:

RCB: Verrett vs. Moore vs. Witherspoon

SAM: Nzeocha vs. Malcolm Smith vs. Taumoepenu

FS: Colbert vs. Ward

Backup WILL: Lee vs. Greenlaw

Backup LEO: Ronald Blair vs. Damontre Moore

Good observation by LV above. Sure would like to see how Blair does entering his 4th year. It should be tough to beat him out, and I don't think the team would cut him. Could only see him getting moved if Moore excels AND a team offers something worth accepting.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Primary Position Battles on Defense:

RCB: Verrett vs. Moore vs. Witherspoon

SAM: Nzeocha vs. Malcolm Smith vs. Taumoepenu

FS: Colbert vs. Ward

Backup WILL: Lee vs. Greenlaw

Backup LEO: Ronald Blair vs. Damontre Moore

Good observation by LV above. Sure would like to see how Blair does entering his 4th year. It should be tough to beat him out, and I don't think the team would cut him. Could only see him getting moved if Moore excels AND a team offers something worth accepting.

I'm curious with the Blair / Damontre competition in camp. If Blair barely beats him out for main BU spot, then I guess Moore could still find himself on the roster. But if it's the other way around and Moore beats out Blair. Wow. FO will have a good problem on their hands.
  • thl408
1. Solly: hopefully he's able to cope with his personal loss and settles in at DT. Year 3, it's time to produce.
2. TMoore: Took a good college safety and put him at CB. This isn't some throwaway late Day 3 pick. 3rd rounders are supposed to be starters.
3. Colbert: he repeatedly flashed at the end of 2017. I hope the team's decision to not bring in safety competition is because they know Colbert will rebound to 2017 form.
4. DJJones: a player I've been excited to see but for whatever reason Earl Mitchell kept taking his snaps. The Nose tackle position is his to lose.
5. Warner: looked just fine settling into a new position last season. I saw some mental mistakes in pass coverage that I'd like to see reduced in 2019, but so far so good.

Top 10 developments to Watch on D?

FORD
BOSA
FORD
BOSA
FORD
BOSA
FORD
BOSA
FORD
BOSA
I wanna see Moore at free safety i still got faith in witherspoon. I hope Verrett stays healthy and i wanna see how that new guy Tim Harris plays they say he's a 2nd-3rd round talent when healthy. Hopefully our strengths conditioning and nutrition team can help keep these guys strong and healthy. Theyre gonna have their work cut out for them thats fasho.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:
1. Solly: hopefully he's able to cope with his personal loss and settles in at DT. Year 3, it's time to produce.
2. TMoore: Took a good college safety and put him at CB. This isn't some throwaway late Day 3 pick. 3rd rounders are supposed to be starters.
3. Colbert: he repeatedly flashed at the end of 2017. I hope the team's decision to not bring in safety competition is because they know Colbert will rebound to 2017 form.
4. DJJones: a player I've been excited to see but for whatever reason Earl Mitchell kept taking his snaps. The Nose tackle position is his to lose.
5. Warner: looked just fine settling into a new position last season. I saw some mental mistakes in pass coverage that I'd like to see reduced in 2019, but so far so good.

Solly and DJ Jones are the ones I agree on in terms of player development. As much as Ford and Bosa were great additions, the development of Solly and DJ Jones is going to really help fill in the cracks, so to speak, and solidify this defense for a possible playoff run. I loved Warner, I wish we had two more of him.
Originally posted by kirkscrafford:
Maybe Sheldon Day doesn't count, but I thought he was more effective than ST and I think that guy was a steal.

Ditto
Solid post OTC!

I'm really hoping ST lights it up w/all the improvements around him and a DL guru Kuroceck [sp]

If he doesn't perform like we all hope and is outplayed by someone else on the team:

A). Will he be kept on as a pine-rider?

B). Used in a trade package since he won't command enough interest on his own/

Man - come-on ST fire it up!
Share 49ersWebzone