LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 322 users in the forums

Ben Garland

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We have to have him back.

Especially w/his salary and Richburgh's[sp] staying healthy issues.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Poor Garland got hit with a bull-pull move that sent him flying onto his face on Jimmy's first INT.

Chris Jones made it very apparent that the Chiefs had their difference making interior guy, and the Niners didn't. If DJ Jones was healthy the game might have been different IMO.

and Westin richburg would of made a difference. If just one of those passes doesn't get tipped at the line we get a first down and possibly run out the clock on them.

This is something that needs to be analyzed. It seemed like JG had more tipped or knocked down passes at the LOS over any QB.

Is it the OL not engaging long enough or technique (keeping them from getting their arms up) or moving DL out of passing lanes, DL just really rushing and dropping back or staying at the LOS and reading his eyes to time jumps, JG passing into windows via tunnel vision, the routes designs moving more defenders into passing windows, a tell, etc?

Neither Garland nor Person wud challenge Jones, nor "punch" him in the body to bring his hands down. I think this is why we signed a C already to back up Richburg, (esp. with garland as a FA) AND we will probably draft/FA/Replace Person at RG. Brunskill did about as good when he was in at RG, but he was backup (not a starter). And yes, a lot of JG intercepts were caused by poor blocking (allowing tipped balls) or WR popping the ball in the air..
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

But we already signed a C this off season, and garland is a 31 yr.old UFA. I think we're replacing him and Person (looks like it so far).
Originally posted by mayo49:
Garland suprised the heck out of me. He's pretty good.

Agree he stepped in and did well- except the playoffs and SB, him and Garland together couldn't handle Chris Jones. Add to that we signed a C already, and we will probably bring in/draft a new RG to compete with Brunskill (who also stepped in and did good).
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Poor Garland got hit with a bull-pull move that sent him flying onto his face on Jimmy's first INT.

Chris Jones made it very apparent that the Chiefs had their difference making interior guy, and the Niners didn't. If DJ Jones was healthy the game might have been different IMO.

and Westin richburg would of made a difference. If just one of those passes doesn't get tipped at the line we get a first down and possibly run out the clock on them.

This is something that needs to be analyzed. It seemed like JG had more tipped or knocked down passes at the LOS over any QB.

Is it the OL not engaging long enough or technique (keeping them from getting their arms up) or moving DL out of passing lanes, DL just really rushing and dropping back or staying at the LOS and reading his eyes to time jumps, JG passing into windows via tunnel vision, the routes designs moving more defenders into passing windows, a tell, etc?

Neither Garland nor Person wud challenge Jones, nor "punch" him in the body to bring his hands down. I think this is why we signed a C already to back up Richburg, (esp. with garland as a FA) AND we will probably draft/FA/Replace Person at RG. Brunskill did about as good when he was in at RG, but he was backup (not a starter). And yes, a lot of JG intercepts were caused by poor blocking (allowing tipped balls) or WR popping the ball in the air..

Great points. I agree. And that's how I saw it too. Literally standing there watching. But Tomlinson does that too so maybe it's a coaching point as Benton wants them in the arc and it's on Garoppolo to pass around that?

I agree with the rest too!
Originally posted by toppdogg32:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:

But we already signed a C this off season, and garland is a 31 yr.old UFA. I think we're replacing him and Person (looks like it so far).

I forget - help me out - who was that other Center we signed?
Welcome back

Garland is back!
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
The Wizzard of OZ !!!!

YESSS !!!

Only wish is that the deal shoulda been for 2 years up to 6million... SOLID GUY !!

STARTER OF A BACKUP !!! HE'S SOLID !!
Originally posted by saniner:
Welcome back

Good.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Very happy with the re-signing of Garland. Now if they can just get Sanders back!!!
Great resigning. The oline is looking pretty goofy as of now. Team need a WR starter, dline, lb, secondary, and TE Depth.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good signing - he did a good job filling in for Richburg.
Excellent...

Sanders is the only guy I really wanted back that hasn't actually been signed(still have time)

Also wouldn't mind Moore for DE depth.
Originally posted by genus49:
Excellent...

Sanders is the only guy I really wanted back that hasn't actually been signed(still have time)

Also wouldn't mind Moore for DE depth.

I wouldn't mind Zettel as well, but anyway Moore and Zettel are for depth only and are easy to replace.
Share 49ersWebzone