Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by John_Candy:

He looks happy. Got some Bosa.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
The problem with being that intense is you will lose the guys eventually. Coaching and teaching involves teaching form and skills and hand and feet position and moves. It's not just yell at guys over and over. It's kind of poor teaching really.

He needs to be *vocal* to override Saleh's meekness in not getting edge rushers . I'm betting he used that voice in the draft meeting saying " if you don't get me Bosa, I'm going to all your and kill your and make sure you never ever again!

Originally posted by Giedi:
The problem with being that intense is you will lose the guys eventually. Coaching and teaching involves teaching form and skills and hand and feet position and moves. It's not just yell at guys over and over. It's kind of poor teaching really.

He needs to be *vocal* to override Saleh's meekness in not getting edge rushers . I'm betting he used that voice in the draft meeting saying " if you don't get me Bosa, I'm going to all your and kill your and make sure you never ever again!

I just don't think that's teaching and coaching. There are videos of Belicheck at the combine for example teaching guys footwork, handwork and technique and form. He doesn't really yell at guys. He teaches them. He still demands a lot. Don't mistake that for not demanding a lot. He just doesn't do loud mouth yelling with no teaching which I think is overrated. It's an over hyped loud mouth.

I just don't think that's teaching and coaching. There are videos of Belicheck at the combine for example teaching guys footwork, handwork and technique and form. He doesn't really yell at guys. He teaches them. He still demands a lot. Don't mistake that for not demanding a lot. He just doesn't do loud mouth yelling with no teaching which I think is overrated. It's an over hyped loud mouth.

So how do you explain guys like Cowher, Nick Saban, Parcells, and Buddy Ryan who have legacies of results? I'm not arguing that yelling is the most effective was to communicate information, but plenty of yellers have been outstanding coaches and teachers. Some guys yell and get results. Kocurek is a well respected position coach around the league and has coached some effective DLines.
  • C-Nut
  • Veteran

A lot of it has to do with respect I think. If the guys generally respect the dude who's screaming at them they'll take to coaching. If they don't respect the guy then the screaming will get old fast. It's on the coach to gain their respect.
Originally posted by C-Nut:

A lot of it has to do with respect I think. If the guys generally respect the dude who's screaming at them they'll take to coaching. If they don't respect the guy then the screaming will get old fast. It's on the coach to gain their respect.

Yes I agree with that general concept to an extent. But I still think teaching is better.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

It all also depends on intent and what he's saying. He could be saying, Dang! That was GREAT! but you can do better!!! Do it again!

In other words, if his intent is to teach and build up confidence, he's shown it every where he's been that he can do it. He's been a part of some great defensive lines. Buddy Ryan wasn't a very polite and clean mouthed coach, but he got the best out of his defense. So folks who shout and pound the table and swear -- that doesn't eliminate them from being great coaches. The best coaches can be quiet when they need to and shout when they need to.

I remember a story of Walsh really yelling and getting hot under the collar because his defense was underperforming. Walsh could yell with the best of them..
Good coaches can act very well, and act in a way that matches the student's personality. They can act loud, they can act quiet, but they do what they need to do to get their students to grow and move forward. The thing they shouldn't do is to be fake and not be themselves.

When a hero comes along.
It all also depends on intent and what he's saying. He could be saying, Dang! That was GREAT! but you can do better!!! Do it again!

In other words, if his intent is to teach and build up confidence, he's shown it every where he's been that he can do it. He's been a part of some great defensive lines. Buddy Ryan wasn't a very polite and clean mouthed coach, but he got the best out of his defense. So folks who shout and pound the table and swear -- that doesn't eliminate them from being great coaches. The best coaches can be quiet when they need to and shout when they need to.

I remember a story of Walsh really yelling and getting hot under the collar because his defense was underperforming. Walsh could yell with the best of them..
Good coaches can act very well, and act in a way that matches the student's personality. They can act loud, they can act quiet, but they do what they need to do to get their students to grow and move forward. The thing they shouldn't do is to be fake and not be themselves.

Different personalities do it different ways. Tom Landry or Bill Walsh or even George Siefert for that matter were quiet, subdued and even stone faced at times. Belicheck is a teacher and strategist. NIck Saban yells a lot. Buddy Ryan was all yelling. Ditka was all yelling too. Different ways can work. My personal preference is more for teaching and strategy and teaching technique. But different ways can work.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Different personalities do it different ways. Tom Landry or Bill Walsh or even George Siefert for that matter were quiet, subdued and even stone faced at times. Belicheck is a teacher and strategist. NIck Saban yells a lot. Buddy Ryan was all yelling. Ditka was all yelling too. Different ways can work. My personal preference is more for teaching and strategy and teaching technique. But different ways can work.

Clearly your style wouldn't be a shouting one.

I see where you're coming from, but you can get away with it in the trenches. He's highly regarded so I'm sure he teaches in meeting rooms and before drills, then cranks it up during them.

Also got Chris Kiffin to balance him out, probably a good cop bad cop type off deal.

One things for sure, he won't accept half assing it.
Originally posted by Heroism:

When a hero comes along.

Originally posted by glorydayz:
Originally posted by Zealot:
Originally posted by Costanza:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
(NSFW):

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxA3m_TBr4A/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1eftxgfmc7myz

That dude's act will get old real quick. Comes off as an annoying d-bag.

Yeah, having someone scream in my face wouldn't motivate me, just piss me off.

If it works for our players though...

It's called REAL coaching, or coaching with PASSION.

A guy like him isn't acting, he is who he is! Old fashion coach....

My best coaches at Baylor and in high school were the ones who yelled and cussed me to quit being soft and give everything I had. Those coaches also taught be to have self respect and how to be a man. People now are just soft and can't handle a little tough love.
PS: The absolute best coach I ever had, Coach Hyde. He would cuss out your mother but he would also take a bullet for you. He just won the Texas 4a state championship.
[ Edited by Baylor on May 3, 2019 at 11:47 PM ]
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Originally posted by C-Nut:

Yes I agree with that general concept to an extent. But I still think teaching is better.

Tomsula as a d line coach was just as intense and was and is still one of the best.
Hope we get more coverage than we did today
Share 49ersWebzone