LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 270 users in the forums

Big Wide Receivers

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's put it like this Shanahan has tried it with a smaller guys for a few years now and it hasn't worked

It's time to try the bigger guys now
Originally posted by SlowDownBoy:
Let's put it like this Shanahan has tried it with a smaller guys for a few years now and it hasn't worked

WRs being small didn't make Hoyer and CJ suck in 2017. They didn't make Jimmy not step out of bounds last year. So what didn't work? We still don't know.
Originally posted by KazBrekker:

WRs being small didn't make Hoyer and CJ suck in 2017. They didn't make Jimmy not step out of bounds last year. So what didn't work? We still don't know.

Well I know historically taller wide receivers has favorite this team and I know that's the direction they're going in now given the draft and free agency
Shanahan is counter punching and adjusting to the new NFL. Big Slot WR (Hurd & Matthews) to beat up small Nickle CBs and short LBs in the middle of the field, a sprinkle of Taylor and James will keep defenses on their toes if the try to adjust to our big inside guys. Quick and speedy WRs (Deebo,Goodwin,Pettis) to beat the trending lengthy CBs on the outside forcing Safeties to help deep should open up the middle. Its going to be a nightmare for defenses to cover the middle of the field with Kittle,Hurd,Matthews and Smith. Super stoked and can't wait to see the Kyle's new and improved offense. JMO...

You don't have taller and/or big-bodied receivers just for the sake of having them. There has to be a reason. Shanahan knows if or why he wants them. Just cuz a guy is 6'5" 230 lbs. doesn't make him Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson. Example: two bigger, tall receivers drafted high in 2015 - Kevin White (1st round) and Devin Funchess (2nd round). Both 4 seasons in league. White 25 rec, 285 yds, 0 tds which is A.J. Jenkins level production. Funchess 161 rec, 2,223 yds, 21 tds which is much better but still average.
Big, tall receiver doesn't automatically equal 1200 yards and 10+ touchdowns. But since you seem to be so obsessed with them we now have Jordan Matthews who's 6'3" 220 and Jalen Hurd, 2nd round pick almost 6'5" 230. So now you can stop b***hing constantly about it.
[ Edited by ninerjok on May 3, 2019 at 12:40 AM ]
Originally posted by ninerjok:

You don't have taller and/or big-bodied receivers just for the sake of having them. There has to be a reason. Shanahan knows if or why he wants them. Just cuz a guy is 6'5" 230 lbs. doesn't make him Julio Jones or Calvin Johnson. Example: two bigger, tall receivers drafted high in 2015 - Kevin White (1st round) and Devin Funchess (2nd round). Both 4 seasons in league. White 25 rec, 285 yds, 0 tds which is A.J. Jenkins level production. Funchess 161 rec, 2,223 yds, 21 tds which is much better but still average.
Big, tall receiver doesn't automatically equal 1200 yards and 10+ touchdowns. But since you seem to be so obsessed with them we now have Jordan Matthews who's 6'3" 220 and Jalen Hurd, 2nd round pick almost 6'5" 230. So now you can stop b***hing constantly about it.

Ok young lady thanks for the input
Fascinating piece on sizes of the WR's.

This is it for me.

[ Edited by NCommand on May 7, 2019 at 4:39 PM ]
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:
Shanahan is counter punching and adjusting to the new NFL. Big Slot WR (Hurd & Matthews) to beat up small Nickle CBs and short LBs in the middle of the field, a sprinkle of Taylor and James will keep defenses on their toes if the try to adjust to our big inside guys. Quick and speedy WRs (Deebo,Goodwin,Pettis) to beat the trending lengthy CBs on the outside forcing Safeties to help deep should open up the middle. Its going to be a nightmare for defenses to cover the middle of the field with Kittle,Hurd,Matthews and Smith. Super stoked and can't wait to see the Kyle's new and improved offense. JMO...

This makes a lot of sense
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
Originally posted by 808niner4lyphe:

This makes a lot of sense

I don't know if I necessarily agree with that assumption.

I think it really just comes down to the fact that bigger WR might work better than the smaller ones or aleast that's the hope

Shanny can make smaLL WRs play big and big WRs play small. All in game planning, Shanny is a wizard!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:
I could give a flying f**k how big our recievers are - just get open.

and that's what Kyle has been saying!

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Scottie15:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I was just listening to the Colts GM on a radio show and he was saying how tough it is to evaluate wide receivers now because college teams are passing so much that a ton of guys have big stats. Add to that how many great receivers come from small colleges and can get overlooked sometimes. Rice, John Taylor, Owens, Antonio Brown, and Randy Moss are just a few that could have been overlooked without good scouting or dumb luck.

Great stuff here. Excellent post, especially as it pertains to small schools.

And to your point, there have been teams who have found lots of success without drafting WR high or utilizing the UDFA market. Doug Baldwin was undrafted, Victor Cruz was undrafted, Colston was drafted as TE in 7th round, and posted 6 seasons of over 1,000 yards receiving.

I think it all comes down to QB play, and scheme.

Agree, and I think the WR injuries - QB play has a role in it too. Too many times, I saw BeatHard hang his WR's out to dry because he missed an open window and threw late and allowed the DB to tee of on the WR.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I was just listening to the Colts GM on a radio show and he was saying how tough it is to evaluate wide receivers now because college teams are passing so much that a ton of guys have big stats. Add to that how many great receivers come from small colleges and can get overlooked sometimes. Rice, John Taylor, Owens, Antonio Brown, and Randy Moss are just a few that could have been overlooked without good scouting or dumb luck.

And to your point, there have been teams who have found lots of success without drafting WR high or utilizing the UDFA market. Doug Baldwin was undrafted, Victor Cruz was undrafted, Colston was drafted as TE in 7th round, and posted 6 seasons of over 1,000 yards receiving.

Agree, and I think the WR injuries - QB play has a role in it too. Too many times, I saw BeatHard hang his WR's out to dry because he missed an open window and threw late and allowed the DB to tee of on the WR.

Your last sentence is on point...WR is probably one of the most dependent positions in football.

Well that is where top WR talent becomes key.

Josh Gordon, widely considered one of the top WRs at the time, was able to ball out with horrible QB play and rotating door of QBs.

Same goes for OBJ, or most of the top producing receivers who can overcome horrible QB play.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Fascinating piece on sizes of the WR's.

This is it for me.

There is something to the game above the game (or the meta-game) in other words, guys like Bellicheat see trends in the NFL and run a strategy that counters those trends exploits weaknesses in what everybody else is doing. That may be what Kyle sees - that everybody is going small and he goes big.

As for big WR's, I've always viewed TE's as big WR's. Brent Jones was one heck of a move TE that could catch. His blocking was but man o man could he catch verticals and contested balls.

Our new rookie big Wr's and Garcon 2.0's always remind me that the WCO is based on throwing on third down and short instead of handing it off to the arby for a short yardage gain. It doesn't surprise me to see ShanaLynch going after running backs that can catch and wide recievers that can run.

very interesting. Just get football players. Regardless of size
Share 49ersWebzone