There are 145 users in the forums

Big Wide Receivers

Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Quite possibly. I know you are a brand new member, but I have recently detailed my thoughts on exactly that in numerous posts.

As NCommand have also mentioned above, our division rivals have certainly decided to take that route. By that I don't mean they only have big and tall WRs, but rather they have added such type of WRs to their WR Corps.

Let's just list them out so that we all know what we are talking about, shall we? The Seahawks drafted DK Metcalf (6'3", 228 lbs) and signed Jazz Ferguson who we also scouted (6'5", 227 lbs). Meanwhile, the Cards drafted Hakeem Butler (6'6", 225 lbs).

And what about the 9ers? Well, we drafted Jalen Hurd (6'4", 227 lbs) and signed Shawn Poindexter (6'5", 218 lbs).

These are the facts and cannot be disputed. Is it a new trend? That I don't know, but I can see how one could put an argument forward that it is.

I will just say this about the 9ers' possible intentions. Not to say big WRs don't get injured, but our smaller WRs don't seem to be able to handle the hits and the physicality that is demanded of them in the NFL. Marquise Goodwin only played 11 games last season and couldn't even reach 400 yards. Trent Taylor missed 2 games and was even worse as he only just managed 215 yards.

So, as you can see, may be just by going after smaller and shiftier WRs isn't working? One thing for sure, whether our WRs are big or small, they definitely need to up their game in the physicality department. Just ask yourself this, would you rather tackle a 5'8", 180 lbs guy which is exactly what Trent Taylor is or a 6'5" 227 lbs guy? I don't know about you, but I know what my preference would be.

On top of that, our red zone efficiency was THE worst as in dead last in the league. I would argue bigger and taller WRs will usually be able to perform better say on contested jump balls, be it on deep passes or end zone fades.

Contested deep balls and end zone fades are stupid play calls by and large. Very low percentage.

Metcalf missed a whole lot of games for Ole Miss
Right and we're assuming big WRs are injury proof or some s**t lol

These guys would like a word

kevin white
Devante Parker
laquon treadwell
josh doctson
alshon Jeffery
AJ Green is currently injured
Jordan Matthews
like you said DK spent more time on the IR then playing games.
be Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
This receiver is a stud, but darnit, he's not short enough! Said no GM ever.

What has been said is "This receiver can't do anything right, but by golly, hes 6'5"!" And, "this is the best receiever ever, but too bad he's only 5'11"" . Both of those statements get those GMs fired.

I highly doubt Shanny's requirement prior to this year was for a WR to be small, and I highly doubt Bellicheck draft NKeal because he's tall.

All these threads and posts about we need a tall receiver....no we need a good receiver. Being tall can be part of why you're good, but it is not black and white like the size queens seem to think it is.

THIS!

what people don't seem to get is Kyle has parameters at the WR position. quickness (foot speed), route-running, and the ability to get some separation.

You can be big, small, fat, skinny, white, black etc....as long as you can do what he asks. Issue is most big WRs are slow/can't run routes/and are stiff. When you can find one that can do what he asks and his big....you get Julio Jones
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 2, 2019 at 6:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by walker807:
The funny thing is that the Pats won the super bowl by outsmarting McVay on defense and killing the rams secondary with little Edelman. I'm not sure if a big WR had an impact in the playoffs at all. Haven't done any research.

Well, I am not sure what the stats will say about bigger WRs vs smaller WRs, but at the most basic level I will just say this, our smaller and slighter WRs simply can't stay on the field. Last season, Goodwin missed 5 games, Taylor missed 2 games and Pettis missed 4 games. Not to say bigger WRs don't get injured per se, but we have already experimented with small WRs and they simply can't handle it or hasn't worked well, it is time to try something else. I strongly believe that is precisely what Lynch and Shanahan are doing, otherwise they wouldn't have brought in Matthews (6'3", 215 lbs), Jalen Hurd (6'4", 227 lbs) and Poindexter (6'5", 218 lbs). I don't think this just happened by chance, it is a deliberate move.

Funny you mentioned the Patriots about "little" Eldeman, you do know they took a WR in the 1st round in the draft right? And who was that guy? N'Keal Harry (6'2, 228 lbs), the dude is like a mountain of muscles.

To your point, Kyle himself noted the emphasis of wanting the two most physical receivers in the draft and that applies to both a 5'11" WR built like a running back and 6'5" receiver who played as a RB. When that physical talent meets a physicality mindset, that's fun to watch the dominance.

Hero brings up an excellent point about the CB's. The NFCW does have long CB's indeed. That might be the real reason we saw a shift in the NCFW this draft; plus there were a ton of them in this draft.

It feels like the Rams lost that physical element once they didn't resign what's-his-name.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2019 at 6:13 AM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Ha. The whole NFCW decided to get bigger and taller all at once. Our 'starters' might be the shortest in the NFL but they play big and the OW is certainly bigger.

Rams' WRs are about the same size as ours. Also, I don't think having big WRs in this specific division is much of an advantage due to the average height and weight of the NFCW CB is around 6'3", 200 lbs.

No way anyone is shorter than our 3 staters in Pettis 6'1", Taylor 5'9" and Deebo 5'11". But that's OK as we get our length with the TE and OW group.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2019 at 6:16 AM ]
To your point, Kyle himself noted the emphasis of wanting the two most physical receivers in the draft and that applies to both a 5'11" WR built like a running back and 6'5" receiver who played as a RB. When that physical talent meets a physicality mindset, that's fun to watch the dominance.

Hero brings up an excellent point about the CB's. The NFCW does have long CB's indeed. That might be the real reason we saw a shift in the NCFW this draft.

It feels like the Rams lost that physical element once they didn't resign what's-his-name.

What do most long CBs have issues with? smaller quick WRs that they can't get their hands on. Sherman who's the golden standard for long CBs always had issues with those small shifty WRs.

I'm all for having a plethora of WRs that all bringing something to the table.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I could give a flying f**k how big our recievers are - just get open.
No way anyone is shorter than our 3 staters in Pettis 6'1", Taylor 5'9" and Deebo 5'11". But that's OK as we get our length with the TE and OW group.

I mean Seattle's "starters" last yr were lockett and Baldwin both 5'10" Moore was their WR#3 and he was 6"

Chief's were Watkins 6' 1" and Hill 5' 10" Robinson was sort of their slot guy and was 6 foot.
Originally posted by mayo49:

and that's what Kyle has been saying!
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by mayo49:

and that's what Kyle has been saying!

...and he finally has some weapons in the RZ with Hurd, Coleman, and Smith to go along with the quicks in Pettis and Deebo. Maybe Kittle becomes a weapon there as well.

I mean Seattle's "starters" last yr were lockett and Baldwin both 5'10" Moore was their WR#3 and he was 6"

Chief's were Watkins 6' 1" and Hill 5' 10" Robinson was sort of their slot guy and was 6 foot.

My point still stands. It's a very short group and all three are oft injured too. Throw in Goodwin and you can understand why Kyle wanted some men at the WR position.

My point still stands. It's a very short group and all three are oft injured too. Throw in Goodwin and you can understand why Kyle wanted some men at the WR position.

I mean Deebo has been off and on injured for a couple seasons and Hurd is coming back from an injury currently?

So I don't really get what you're saying?

I mean Deebo has been off and on injured for a couple seasons and Hurd is coming back from an injury currently?

So I don't really get what you're saying?

Deebo, chronic hamstrings and ankle injury and Hurd, shoulder, MCL and concussions.

LOL, this FO. SMH.

No denying Deebo and Hurd play with an ass-kicking mentality though compared to Pettis and Goodwin though. Those are passive players IMHO. Taylor has a tough mentality though too.
be Originally posted by adrianlesnar:
This receiver is a stud, but darnit, he's not short enough! Said no GM ever.

What has been said is "This receiver can't do anything right, but by golly, hes 6'5"!" And, "this is the best receiever ever, but too bad he's only 5'11"" . Both of those statements get those GMs fired.

I highly doubt Shanny's requirement prior to this year was for a WR to be small, and I highly doubt Bellicheck draft NKeal because he's tall.

All these threads and posts about we need a tall receiver....no we need a good receiver. Being tall can be part of why you're good, but it is not black and white like the size queens seem to think it is.

THIS!

what people don't seem to get is Kyle has parameters at the WR position. quickness (foot speed), route-running, and the ability to get some separation.

You can be big, small, fat, skinny, white, black etc....as long as you can do what he asks. Issue is most big WRs are slow/can't run routes/and are stiff. When you can find one that can do what he asks and his big....you get Julio Jones

That's extreme. There are plenty of taller wide receivers that aren't lightning quick and still are very effective. Open even when they aren't. Julio Jones is 1 in 1M.

Contested catches are crucial at the NFL level. Pettis still hasn't made a contested catch but fortunately for him he won't have to make many at the X thanks to Kyle being a mastermind play caller.

We all know Kyle's mentality when it comes to his wide receivers and guards. At least now, he's evolving some and drafted a Garcon-like receiver with that kind of punishing talent at the Z and drafted a physical mismatch in Hurd as a major chess piece.

I don't understand the narrative. Fans have been saying we don't have that physical presence at WR all these years. The little guys proved they can't stay healthy, can't get open against physical press and are best between the 20's uncontested.

Kyle recognizes that and drafts three physical receivers (Deebo, Hurd and Smith) and the narrative is we still don't need size/physicality --- Kyle has a type? LOL
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2019 at 7:29 AM ]
Didn't goodwin miss time mainly cause of personal reasons last season?

also, wasn't trent taylor injured all year?

Dont think it had to do with size.
Originally posted by KittleMeThis:
Didn't goodwin miss time mainly cause of personal reasons last season?

also, wasn't trent taylor injured all year?

Dont think it had to do with size.

Quad bruise. Broken back.
Share 49erswebzone