By position, my guesses of most available players to be on the block:

QB C.J. Beathard
RB Jeffrey Wilson
WR Trent Taylor, Kendrick Bourne, Richie James
OL Joshua Garnett
DL Ronald Blair, Arik Armstead
CB Ahkello Witherspoon, DJ Reed
S Jaqusiki Tartt

Takers though? That's another story. What teams need any of these positions/depth help out there? QB? Maybe Jaguars, Chiefs, Bills. All other positions it's anyone's guess. There's plenty of teams all around the league that could use a RB, WR, OL/DL, or DB.

I'd rather they extend Blair not trade him.
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

QB C.J. Beathard
RB Jeffrey Wilson
OL Joshua Garnett
S Jaqusiki Tartt

Takers though? That's another story. What teams need any of these positions/depth help out there? QB? Maybe Jaguars, Chiefs, Bills. All other positions it's anyone's guess. There's plenty of teams all around the league that could use a RB, WR, OL/DL, or DB.

This. Love me some Blair.
"likely" no one in particular. There's a couple that possibly could and maybe 1 or 2 do get traded, but I don't think anyone is likely gone.
If CJ doesn't appear to be much improved in pre season, I think he's gotta go. If roster spots weren't so important I could care less if we hold onto him, he's cheap, but unfortunately they are important.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by wolfpack2192:
If CJ doesn't appear to be much improved in pre season, I think he's gotta go. If roster spots weren't so important I could care less if we hold onto him, he's cheap, but unfortunately they are important.

Preseason is fools gold though, he has always shown that he's good enough there. Real games he looks like crap 90% of the time.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
We have a great relationship with both KC and Patriots, so I expect to be their trading partners if it happens.

Garnett - I'd like to see him for another year, maybe even be THE center that we are looking for, but if not, then we probably get a 4th or 5th rounder for him from either the Pats or KC.

Tartt - another player I'd hate to see gone, but he just can't stay healthy like Garnett.. destiny should be with Pittsburgh who likes his hitting ability.. another 4th rounder may be?
Problem is we are no position to trade anyone tradable. Aa maybe, but who would do that?
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by gold49er2183:
I could see any of the following traded assuming they aren't just cut

Trent Taylor
Marquise Goodwin
Garret Celek
Arik Armsted/Solomon Thomas (doubtful imo)
Malcolm Smith

Trent Taylor was their first WR drafted. They like what he does in the slot. And he can be a good PR too.
Goodwin is not getting traded.
Celek is 50/50, depends on the health of the group come Week 1
AA is good, he's not going anywhere.
Solly is a long shot.
Malcom is pretty safe since he took a paycut.

I think Garnett, Bourne, Celek, and maybe Gould if he keeps acting up.
to many have some blind loyalty to "our guys".. i would be fine if every single one of those guys were gone when the bullets start to fly for real. just for bodies. they probably have to keep either thomas or aa, smith is garbage and him taking a pay cut is no excuse for why he stays, there is a reason they got a tight end. because celek is garbage. we will find out real quick if the reason for taylors off season is his back or he was just a little one year hit. goodwin and his olympics s**t plus he gets hurt alot hopefully will get beaten out by a new guy. and f**k the kicker all to hell

Celek is a good backup, he is not garbage.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Celek is a good backup, he is not garbage.

i think there is a reason why they drafted a tight end and its not to try to hide him on a practice squad. its for him to take celeks job away and i hope he does
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Problem is we are no position to trade anyone tradable. Aa maybe, but who would do that?

Almost anyone needing a 3-4 de.

I think making trades are smart, especially in todays NFL. Being able to trade guys like Beathard+AA are smart if we get a decent return for them. Beathard has value to other teams as a back up QB with a couple years of team control, who is still on his rookie deal. Personally I would try to get a 5th or 6th round pick for him to a team with little cap space (thus the need to save where they can), and by having a back up QB capable of starting if needed, who is making around 1 million per season, compared to the 5+ million decent FA QB's cost, that would make sense to a team like that.

AA is in the final year of his deal, and his position just got taken by the number 2 over all pick in the draft. AA is making 9 million, so saving that money makes sense for us, even if we do have a lot of cap space, an extra 9 million goes a long way in keeping our core together, also we could probably net a 4th or 5th round pick for him. Trading AA and Beathard simplifies our roster as well, while also giving guys with more team control chances to succeed. Mullens has 3 years of team control compared to Beathards 2. ST has 3 years of control compared to AA's 1 year. Personally I love the idea of rolling with Ford-Buckner-ST-Bosa on passing downs, and ST on the bench for Jones on rushing downs.
These are 2 simple moves that net us decent draft capital in return, while also saving us nearly 10 million dollars to be used else where. Mullens becomes the back up QB, and ST becomes Buckners side kick inside (on passing downs) and our depth is fine on the D-line with Blair+Day+Street and others as young guys we have on the bench as rotational guys.

There are other borderline roster guys, who it might make sense to shop early, so teams can bring them into their camps, and give them a better chance of making their roster, compared to us trying to trade them before roster cuts, and at that point teams won't make trades, because they'd rather just wait and see what becomes available.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by Hopper:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

QB C.J. Beathard
RB Jeffrey Wilson
OL Joshua Garnett
S Jaqusiki Tartt

This. Love me some Blair.

Blair is possibly looking at a lot less snaps IMO. Adding Ford, Bosa, and Street while only dropping Marsh will chew into Blairs snaps. Plus Taylor is in the picture and AA is better on base downs. Kocurek will troll the entire board and play Thomas at end too while dropping DeFo into coverage. Slim pickins for Blair if he doesn't step it up.
The short time Jimmy G was on the field he had good chemistry with Goodwin. AA, I'd jump at a 4th round pick. Our receivers are bargain basement, any team can wait till they're cut and get them for nothing. As far as our running backs are concerned, the stock in general has fallen, rather than waste a draft pick they can be found on the street.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by Team49ers:
Trade beathard for whatever we can get for him
What are we going to do with a half bag of flaming hot Cheetos and a loose cigarette?

Better than nuffin
Originally posted by WildBill:
Why do people feel that we have to trade or think the niners need to trade players? So obsessed with draft picks that they in turned get obsessed when said pick does not turn into someone they fell in love with cause the media says so. It is one thing if we are in cap hell, but we are not. Depth is key or have people forgotten last year already?

Plus some of the people mentioned are good, but may have had an off season for what ever reason. Trent Taylor was a go to for Jimmy, but Jimmy got hurt and so did Trent. Especially when he has proven it and others have yet to do so. Same with Goodwin. Besides we don't have anyone like Goodwin. He is the deep treat to keep the Safety honest when he is in. I see Pettis, Deebo, Goodwin, Hurd, Trent making the team and the battle for the sixth spot for others not named. In fact, Hurd plays the versatility of emergency TE, so the niners may only carry two on the 53.

Arik and Solomon, I want to see what they can do with a new DL coach and now that they have Bosa, maybe they will get to slide inside more where they belong. Arik is rated high as a run defender, yes this is a passing league, but you still got to stop the run or the other side will dictate and control what you try to do. Plus, since he is on his final year, who is gonna pay for a guy that is in his last year. Solomon had issues last year and is still cheap, but who is gonna give you anything for him when he has yet to prove anything yet? I can see some on the zone who want to trade him and if he breaks out on another team because we misused him or he manage to get his act together, the same people that wanted to trade him then b***h, why did we trade him. More likely one of or two of the guys like Blaiir, Day, DJ ones, and Julian, are on the bubble of being cut or traded. Street is a key for those guys.

Not against trading anybody, right now the season hasn't started or off season has not begun and people want to trade some of the people. Unless they get really good offers (unlikely).

I also believe that Street will be the key on how the DL will shake out. AA also could get traded for 4th to someone who may need a 3/4 end and probably get a 3-4 supp pick back if he doesn't work out for them. I really hoping Street pans out for us.
Share 49ersWebzone